Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

E-Flite F16 EDF, how do I make it faster.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

E-Flite F16 EDF, how do I make it faster.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM
reiserrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite F16 EDF, how do I make it faster.

I know hardly anything about planes but I bought the eflite f16 edf for some winter fun. Does anyone know the stats on the df that is included, I already want to make it faster, I need to know the dimensions of the fan too. Anyone modded this jet yet? What kind of fan should I use, and what kind of motor, I would like to keep using my 3 cell lipos and my hacker 30 amp ESC. other than that what would be a good mod and where do i buy it?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-Flite F16 EDF, how do I make it faster.

I think they already have a upgrade fan you can go to. I think t is 70 mm not sure and the stock one is 64 not sure on that too. Check out the EDF factory or eflight hope this helps, sweet little bird.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Sam77

Read this thread:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7877604/tm.htm]RC Universe E-Flite F-16 Thread[/link]

We've been hard at work modding our Falcons for better performance and to overcome the stock motor handicap.

-Sam
Old 11-29-2008, 09:53 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLDF480

3S + this new fan/motor combo provides a very small improvement over the stock F-16 system. It does move the cg aft a bit, which is a good thing.

4S provides a significant performance increase, but you're on your own to figure out how to fit a 4S solution into the F-16. We have tested it (only one flight) with two 2100, 2S packs in series, with one in the stock location and one mounted in the current receiver location. Flight time is very short with this setup, but it is much faster. It will be much easier to get 4S batteries into the F-16 if you don't use the landing gear.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74092.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1080734  
Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 AM
reiserrob

I know you are a Horizon Employee, but what do you think about using a Scorpion HK-2221-6 BL outrunner (4400kv) and a Scorpion 45amp ESC( I'd stick with the 3s 2100s). They list it as a DF and heli motor, I'm currently using the -8 in my 450-size heli and it seems like a great motor. The motor is listed as a 400 replacement w/ a shaft diameter of 3.17mm and a can size of 22mm, would it bolt into the stock DF unit, One more question, is that E-flite unit available and shipping because I thought that it was listed on the Horizon website as available soon?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: reiserrob

I know you are a Horizon Employee, but what do you think about using a Scorpion HK-2221-6 BL outrunner (4400kv) and a Scorpion 45amp ESC( I'd stick with the 3s 2100s). They list it as a DF and heli motor, I'm currently using the -8 in my 450-size heli and it seems like a great motor. The motor is listed as a 400 replacement w/ a shaft diameter of 3.17mm and a can size of 22mm, would it bolt into the stock DF unit, One more question, is that E-flite unit available and shipping because I thought that it was listed on the Horizon website as available soon?
With a 22mm diameter, it should fit in the fan unit OK, and at 4400 kV, it should provide more performance when matched with a good battery.

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my previous post that the Delta-V 480 probably won't be available until January.

David
Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
reiserrob

what about the Align motors (430l 430xl)?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Use a Dyna Jet !!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 01:33 PM
nolimit1

What's happen's to all the people that bought the first F-15's. That's alot of money poured into a foamie right know. I just go my new poorly cast EDF's that are bad right now after two flights. Now with this new setup, your saying that we will need two 60 pro esc's and two 480 unit's? What happen to get it right and then market the product, not at the customer cost. I know it sounds like I'm bitter, but I own about 6 E-flite kit the best one is Extra 260. Just thing support should help out the people that already bought the F-15 and the F-16.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 PM
nolimit1

What's happen's to all the people that bought the first F-15's. That's alot of money poured into a foamie right know. I just go my new poorly cast EDF's that are bad right now after two flights. Now with this new setup, your saying that we will need two 60 pro esc's and two 480 unit's? What happen to get it right and then market the product, not at the customer cost. I know it sounds like I'm bitter, but I own about 6 E-flite kit the best one is Extra 260. Just thing support should help out the people that already bought the F-15 and the F-16.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
reiserrob

this post is about the F-16, not the F-15, I personally like the F-16, I think its a real head turner. However, after reading of the many engine failures I decided to upgrade right out of the box. I'd rather spend the extra $60 than chance losing the whole jet on its first flight. That being said I bought a 400DF BL outrunner by E-Flite yesterday and was able to get it in with some slight modification. I'll have the pics up soon.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
reiserrob

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36134.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1081506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27849.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1081507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81210.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1081508  
Old 11-30-2008, 02:55 PM
reiserrob

much better motor, a lot more torque, I think its 100kv slower than stock though
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
DNCrosby

ORIGINAL: reiserrob

this post is about the F-16, not the F-15, I personally like the F-16, I think its a real head turner. However, after reading of the many engine failures I decided to upgrade right out of the box. I'd rather spend the extra $60 than chance losing the whole jet on its first flight. That being said I bought a 400DF BL outrunner by E-Flite yesterday and was able to get it in with some slight modification. I'll have the pics up soon.
The point as I understood it, was that the EDF F15 that was sold by E-Flite, had similar issues, where people had to toss the included hardware (motor / fan) and go with something they believed in, and mix and match the best parts from the best vendors. The advantage is that you end up getting the model you wanted the way you wanted. The drawback is that you had to purchase some parts that you either knew were junk or didn't even want to take a chance on. The fact is that this occurs in the automotive industry all the time, the first production run has bugs, most people don't know of and can't anticipate, that show up once someone actually daily drives a car. Then changes are made, and things get more reliable. I don't know what's the best option, but some form of good will and help to those brave enough to take a chance on a new product should be paramount, otherwise nobody will trust your products, and even though you might have "The Perfect new XX" you'll never sell it due to poor reputation...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 PM
reiserrob

but the F-15 as I understand it, doesn't come with motors, You have to purchase your own, therefore you don't have the same issue as the F-16 does with the crappy motor.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
reiserrob

does anyone know the exact dimensions of the F-16 ducted fan. specifically the outside diameter of the unit
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 PM
reiserrob

According to E-flites motor requirement chart the wattage required for a ducted fan aircraft is 130-150 watts per pound. I took an average of 140 forty watts per pound and with a 11.1 volt 3s lipo and the BL400 outrunner (with an operating current of 19 amps) =210 watts which is exactly the required wattage of an aircraft weighing 23.5 ounces
Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 AM
nolimit1

reiserrob , I understand that you guys where talking about the F-16. I also have one too, and the F-15. The point that you are not understanding in that E-flite is bring out these products with little planing, and now that the jet's are having these problems. They was not owning up to the problems like everyone is so happy. Now the are coming out with a new EDF and 480 outrunner motor to drop into these jets. I just want to know what about the poor people that are having these problems, what is E-flite going to do for use!!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
reiserrob

With all due respect, I started this thread and I think I know what the point was. There is a 19 page thread on the problems with the E-Flite ducted fan models already. Yes, I am well aware of the problems with their motors failing, but my question was how to make it faster (ie. aftermarket motors, ESCs and so forth). Believe me, I'm with the people on this one, I couldn't agree more about companies releasing bad products. But the point of this thread is how do we make them faster.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Rhus

I've been toying with the same concern about making it faster. My 2 1/2 year old let slip that my wife got me one for Christmas. I really don't know how he'd know what a "F-sizteen" was otherwise. I havn't seen anything yet on what the fan unit specs are. One of my flying buddies just maidened his and he says it has changed his mind about EDFs. We haven't, to this point had much luck with them in our area.

If the fan unit can take it, and there are room for 5s, Hobby-Lobby has the Jetscreamer motor that is rated for up to 1400 watts. I suspect its a stretch but until I can get my hands on it, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts.

I have seen the motor/fan set up on the BAE Hawk. I looks really good. The motor mount allows for better cooling of the inrunner without any drag problems. It looks to be a good EDF setup. It might be a smidge big to fit in the F-16. Anyway, we'll see. I'll keep watching here to see what you all come up with.

Aaron
Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 AM
rloehler

I performed the Eflite F-16 upgrade with the delta V 480 motor fan combo and the Eflite 60 Amp ESC. I was able to balance a 2100 mAH 4S 20 C lipo in the standard battery bay after the power upgrade by using about 2.5 oz of lead weights in the aft wall just anterior to the exhaust cone. I also removed the black base from the canopy to permit the 4S lipo to fit in its standard holder if possible. I mounted the speed control inside the front air intake and cut two rectangular cheater holes on either side of the fuselage just in front of the fan location. I am pulling over 700 watts though the wattmeter. The performance upgrade on 4S is impressive and I've clocked the jet at 81 MPH with a small tail wind. This upgrade has definitely untamed the Eflite F-16
Old 03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
stvinvegas

First I want to thank reiserrob for starting this thread. This is exactly what I was looking for, I would bet, so are a lot of other people.

A little background: I have had my EF f-16 for a couple of months now and gone through three different power configs. First I removed the stock motor and fan and used a Don's wicked 4000 with his Pentium 40 esc and a TP 4S 2200. The jet flew better but not as fast as you would expect. I smoked two of those motors. This happened after several flilghts so I wasn't to upset. Here is where it gets fun and leads to my question. I had a 70mm fan and motor that came out of a World Models Uni-Jet. I bored out the foam to fit the 70mm fan. The Jet flew better than it ever did, but as we all know this thing is just slower than we would like it to be.

So here is my question? Since I bored out the foam to fit a 70mm fan unit. I would like advice on the most powerful EDF motor fan combo for this bird. I want to overpower this sucker so I know this time it will scream. As soon as I get her up and running I will post a Vid.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

I still think a flying tail would do better( full moveable stab )