Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF Predator UCAV from Nitro Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF Predator UCAV from Nitro Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EDF Predator UCAV from Nitro Planes

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

Sorry about the broken link. I fixed it above and it is the same product in your eBay link but sold at the Electric Jet Factory.

Your ARC setup will be a good choice and work great! I would use a 30C LiPo cell around 4AH.

Good luck!
No problem about the link.

Which would be better...the ARC and midi PRo or the Lander combo for 8s? The lander sure looks sharp, being aluminum housing and all...but Ive learned that you shouldnt base final decisions on looks alone. Plus it looks like the Lander doesnt have mounting tabs soI would have to make something to hold it/clamp it to the mount rails in the fuse. Also, I wonder if the aluminum housing weighs more than the synthetic housing of the midi Pro. Im sure I need to try and save every ounce of weight I can.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ARC and Midi Pro is without a doubt a superior combination. RC Lander has designed a newer "Dynamic Power Series" of 90mm EDFs but unfortunately skipped the 8s LiPo range. By the way, the Lander 90mm DFs come with a clam-shell set of clamps to mount the fan unit. You can see them in the image below.

When cost is not an issue, I sometimes use the Lander metal housing with and ARC, Neu, or Typhoon motor and Midi Pro rotor. The combination was used on my twin Cessna Citation and this Nitro Planes Starfire model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34287.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1555294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21813.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1555295  
Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Greg Covey

The weight difference between the Midi Pro DF and the Lander DF is not as significant as the look. Sometimes, you just need the silver metal appearance as in my Cessna Citation nacelles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37667.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1555307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63512.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1555308  
Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM
ATVAlliance

The lander unit is sharp and I think it would definitely be nice "eye-candy".  But I really want to be sure I can take off from grass...so function before fashion for me.

Or is it that the total package of the Lander combo would be less durable (fan and motor) than the midi Pro and the ARC motor?

I wouldnt mind going with the Lander if it would definitely put me in the air from grass (our field is nice and level and the grass is always mowed the morning we fly so its nice and short too).  But if its a gamble...I'll forego the "eye-candy" and go for the power plant that definitely will put me in the air.

Thanks so much for your input.  I read most of your build thread and have taken a lot of ideas.  Its just I dont think I'll go with a power plant like you used unless this thing survives my skills for the next couple years.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Greg Covey

The Midi Pro DF can handle plenty of power. I used it on my Predator UCAV with a 12s setup for 3300 watts.

My guess is that the RC Lander packages we had links to are the older motor and not the newer Dynamic Power Series. The older setups had longevity issues. You can call Robert at EJF and talk to him about your needs. For some reason, he stopped selling the Wemotec products but he may be able to swap out the Lander motor with an HET Typhoon motor for 8s. You want an 8s EDF capable of around 2400 watts. Just tell him that I got you all confused about what to use.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM
ATVAlliance

I will do just that!

Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
sparkola

I was wondering what you guys did to clean up the fit of the ducts where they meet the openings in the fuselage?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Greg Covey

I didn't do anything other than use the air intake ring that comes with the Wemotec Midi Pro DF.

However, on other projects without an intake ring, I have formed a curve along the outer edge to help guide the air flow into the duct. On my Predator setup, the inside area of the opening is used to cool the battery packs.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Flybri89

Sure you do.