Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

GWS electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:05 PM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS electric fan

I picked up one of the first GWS ducted fans when they came out, I built a couple of little planes for it, and with the 350 milliamp 6 cell pack, I get an extended glide at best.
Am I using to large a pack?
Can anyone give me some guidelines for a design? (wing area/weight?ect.?
This thing sounds wicked, but for now it's all bark, and no bite.

Thanks,

Jetts
Old 06-16-2003, 03:18 PM
bratcher

Default GWS electric fan

If you are talking about the EDF-50, then weight is going to be key. If you go by the "no more than 3x thrust for total weight" suggestion, then your model should weigh no more than 6 - 10.5 ounces, depending on your blade pitch (2 or 3), number of blades ( 3 or 5), and how efficiently your fan is operating. To get the most out of the EDF-50, you really need to use an intake ring and the 2030x5 fan, which will almost give you a whopping 3 1/2 oz. of thrust! Even if you use the 2020x3 fan, you can gain an ounce of thrust by using an intake ring.

As far as wing loading goes, that will have more bearing on how your model flies - if it currently glides, but cannot climb, my guess would be that it weighs too much. Can you give more info on your model? I'm not an expert on wing design or anything, just curious about what you are doing with an EDF. I'll show you mine if you show me yours

I haven't weighed it yet, and it is not quite finished - it's a little tail heavy still, and doesn't have servos yet (doh!). The holes in the front are to help keep the battery cool...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86982_33214.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	50368  
Old 07-06-2003, 05:27 AM
drksyd

Default GWS electric fan

You'd need more battery than that, capacity that is. To keep it lite I would stick with lithiums, you can get good run time from a 700mah and better yet with the 1200mah.