Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

E-flite BAe Hawk 15 DF ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

E-flite BAe Hawk 15 DF ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
FrankWilliams
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-flite BAe Hawk 15 DF ARF

ORIGINAL: cap10b

Greg,
Is there a big difference in weight and balance between the 3S 3300 battery and the 4S 3300. My plane is really nose heavy and far off from the 80-90 MM CG location. Did you add tail weight? My ESC does not have a BEC and I carry a little 2S-800mah Lipo and dinky regulator that weighs no more than a feather. Everything is stock. I build light no heavy stuff.
Whats the deal.

Johnny Snead
North Dallas RC.

Dump the 800 Mah battery and regulator and pick up an external BEC like a CCBEC.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM
cap10b

yeah your right but I'm having rotation problems and nose steering. I wrecked on takeoff this morning, no damage other than my pride but its back to the drawing board as Wiley Coyote says.

jds
Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 PM
cap10b

All,
Found out some things about the E-Flite BAE Hawk. First off I did maiden the plane and flew three times. The 4S lipo is the way to go. I have been having rotation problems and went back and re read the all the post and watched all the videos of all kinds of Hawks/T-45. And my conclusion is:

1 Go back to the stock set up from the book and start there.
2. Throw out all the mixing that I had for reflexed ailerons, Flaperon, Flap to Elevator, Thro to rudder. thro to elevator. Wipe the slate clean.
3. Throw out all the differential.
4. Swallow pride and ask know turbine waivered JPO pilot to assist. (He checked CG and ground handling, he didnt offer and I didnt ask him to fly.)
5. Undue all the add on features like brakes and make the landing gear stock.
6. Make your take off run long,
7. Use flight modes for take off , cruise, landing.
8. Try and not maiden in severe cross wind.
9. Dont fly early in the AM with sun in your face.
10. When you do get up in the air dont cut the power totaly off in the turns unless the plane feel solid.

Take off was really uneventfull other than I had to really pull hard for rotation. Now that I think about it it just seems that way because of the small plane. The ailerons were very sensative and were shifted to lower rate after the first pass. The elevator was almost sluggish and could use a tad more throw. Rolls were ok after switched to the lowest rate, High rate rolls was fairly fast but not blinding. Elevator was about like a big pattern ship, what you think is just a loop turns into a big loop. Switched to high rate elevator. Landing set up I was thinking about what everyone was saying "Dont stall in the turn !" so I made the turns wide and flat. After all the triming and repair of the previous attempts she wont come down. I have to push to the runway. Go Around ! 1st time Check trim again add three click down still after set up on base and power to 1/4 she wont come down. Go Around 2nd time, Set up for landing. push to the runway, push to the runway, slow the plane down get into ground affect hold her off. PloP !! I hit the grass. DANG !!! The gear dug in and it was like a really violent arrestor hook landing. No damamge, taxi back to pits, Everyone happy. I flew a few more times, I am going to have to think hard about whether or not I want to keep this plane. What a hassle for such an investment.

jds

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
david101

Some late info. Wings do not need to be glued on. I added small fibre-glass tabs to secure wings to body with small screws. Works fine. I have 30 t0 40 flights to mine with 2 snaps on landing. Just needed new canopy assy( 12.95) and paint. A tough little bird. Keep air speed up on landing = land hot!!!!!I used an HET power unit with 77 amp esc and 3 cell 3300 mah lipos. Long T.O.s on asphalt, not a park flyer. Also fly turbines and this is very close to that experience for a lot less money. Enjoy!!!!!

Dave
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 AM
ACES&8s

Since the BL15 is used, (3600kv) I would try the 4 cell. The fan is 6 blade? My HET 6904 on 4900kv runs a 3cell, and the 600 watt inrunner does the 950 watts WOT nicely in actual use. I use a 3700kv outrunner on a 6904 rotor on 5 cell for about the same watts. A regular 5 blade fan unit, similar to a Wemotec mini on a 4100kv outrunner runs 1000 watts on a 4 cell. Could be less if it were well balanced.

Actual figures on my Rafale using Wemotec Mini fan pro, 4100kv Cyclone ourunner and 4 cell 40c the fan rpm is 48,000+ rpm, using the Super Brain data logger. (The fan is rated for 45,000 rpm)

I admit to pushing the limits on the fan units, however, after flying a similar aircraft in an underpowered manner is asking for a crash. Also, since the vertical stabilizer incorporates no rudder, I strongly suggest adding it on. Run a pushrod down the dorsal or plant a servo right into the fuselage. (Hacking) Seriously, getting down the runway straight on nosegear steering only, is asking for an aborted takeoff, or very short flight off the side of the runway, ripping the wheels off the plane and causing instant re-kitting.

Before anyone decides to build an EDF jet, they should be cautioned. Spinning up a fan to 30,000 rpm or more is dangerous, and also, balancing the fan unit, if the factory hasn't, is crucial. If you won't balance the fan, use the stock setup and 3 cells and deal with the 1.7 lbs. on a 3 pound plane. I like to suggest that with any high-wing-loading aircraft, a high thrust to weight ratio is strongly called for.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:18 AM
ckombo
My Feedback: (2)

hi,

I cant seem to find a set of wheels to replace the ones that came with my BAe so i could take off a grass field. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
cap10b

CKombo,

Maxx Products makes good replacement wheels, Dont know about grass I used our runway. I sold the plane.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html

JDS