Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

So how is Banana Hobby these days?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

So how is Banana Hobby these days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
four slot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how is Banana Hobby these days?

Well I just spent quite some time doing some research on some of Banana hobby products, and well It sound like they had quite a few problems with the F/A18.

From what I read it was mostly customer service and shippingissues that gave BH such a bad rap.
I know what it can be like when everyone wants you to do things for them and you feel that youare the only one that can deal with it. It is easy to say just hire morepeople, but you need experience and knowledge to get to the issues at hand.
Yes I know that customerservice is the number onething for any business. Iwonder if any of the people have truly tried tocome up with any solutions and trying to help out.
I did read some where thatthis hobby requires a tonne of patience, yet I read that a lot of the complaints were that they did not get there product in 3 days time, does not sound very patient to me. One allways must keep in mind that when you get more people involved more things can go wrong.
Take a look at what all is involved in such an operation. I would guess that perhaps there are(lets be conservative)50 to75 people involed in the movement of the kit thatyou ordered from the personwho took your order, to the person that delivered it to your door. Now I do understand that it is very frustrating to run into further obstacles that are product related.
It has been my experience in any hobby of this nature that you still need to modifiy things a little in order to have things work the way you want them to, other than throwing the problems back to one guy atBH.
So can anyone tell me if the isses with the RTF kit have been fully resolved or are they stillon going.
There I shall get down off of my soap box now. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 AM
CBM Racing

Default RE: So how is Banana Hobby these days?

Untill BH gets their stuff together, your better off spending your VALUABLE dollars elsewhere. Yep, that's right, dollars are valuable, today more so than ever before perhaps. Lets face it, the gear that comes with the rtf packages is more than substandard, it's downright shoddy. So, when you compare real VALUE for your bucks, there are better deals out there that can save you a gob of money in both the long and short run. Some receive a good, well thought out package, while others get a hundreds of dollars of packing foam and stripped servos and the horse puckey posts by pete to make things right that never happen. If they go out of business and pete starves from trying to pull a fast one (or 100) to make a quick buck by trying to pump themselves up as being the only distributors of starmax or whatever brand INSULLATION COOLER foam jets with bad servos and bad radio gear/esc's and overrated batteries, then I say starve to death with the rest of the shysters out there[>:]. Some guy's are happy with there BH purchases, fantastic for them I say, and good job of getting a good buy! But many are completely unhappy with their hard spent dollars and would prolly strangle Pete and his cohoarts without remorse if the chance arose. Just saying, from the earliest recorded history of mankind, there's been snake oil for sale, and at better prices as well.
Just looked at the f117 on their website. So...does it come with a 2850 outrunner, or 4300kv inrunner? The add includes both in the main description so which is it? Rudder controls? Like in other adds for other jets? Lifetime tech support!? who's lifetime, your's or the planes(first flight)? Just saying is all
Old 09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
bart4u

This is what the BBB said about this company. Spend your money someplace else.

This business is currently not accredited by the BBB. Thank you for bringing to our attention their use of our logo on their site. Unfortunately we can not control the business or force them resolve complaints. Your unanswered complaint is on record against them and will be for the next three years. Thank you.

Daniel Stiner | Customer Service Representative II

Tel: 909-503-1196
Fax: 909-825-6246
Email: [email protected]
www.labbb.org | Start With Trust

Better Business Bureau of the Southland, Inc.
315 North La Cadena Drive
Colton, CA 92324
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
capjlp
My Feedback: (37)

Just so you know they haven't changed.

I purchased a 90 MM FA/18 Hornet it looks great. I haven't flown it yet due to the manual doesn't have the control throw information. I waited about 2 to 3 weeks for them to actually ship the "instock" airplane.

Now I have been waiting about a month to get the control throw information. I called and called and called and just kept dialing let it ring till answering service picked up then hung up and kept dialing for about 2 hours I tried this. They said to use the online help which is offline about 99.9999999999% of the time I finally seen them online so I used it after waiting 30 to 40 min someone finally answered the online call.

And was promptly told I needed to call the number. LOL what a joke. This is what you do. Call your credit card company and file a complaint they will give your money back for selling a product that isn't as advertised.

Doing this gets there attention immediately and you might get an answer if not you will get your money back anyway.

Thanks for nothing BH I really wanted to buy several of there edf's but not now.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
raypadro

Worst customer service EVER,crappy electronics on arf's have to replace radio and receiver,esc charger and motor just to be able to fly the plane I bought 1 month ago .Several email and never get a response.Avoid.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
capjlp

I ran a hobby business retail and online for 7 years and I worked my tail off doing customer service. We never had issues where I didn't return an email or phone call with in 1 or 2 business days. I would not carry any product that I didn't try my self and wasn't happy with. This saved a bit of time with customer service also. As well as making more money for selling quality products. I decided to retire and sell my business or I would still be doing it today.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

All the builders always told me "Build it straight..you don't wanna be flyin no BANANA!"
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

I ordered an A-10 from them and had no problem. I was a little worried after reading all the negative posts, but I wanted an A-10 to complement my big MIBO A-10 so I took a chance.
I got an e-mail confirmation with the shipping info. The plane arrivied on schedule with no damage.
My experience was positive.
Jon
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM
DqP

Hey guys,

I feel your pain.  I just got a newbie lesson this month courtesy of banana hobby.  I'm new into RC Jets and definitely became attracted to the youtube vids of the BH offerings.  New to jets but not new to RC and definitely not new to online ordering.  In my opinions, this company will never get another $ from me.

I placed 2 orders within 3 hours of each other.  the first order was for the F/A-18 90mm, the second was for an F-16 70mm + F/A-18 70mm.  They took my $ instantly and and by that evening, generated shipping notifications from UPS.  I ordered on Dec 12th and the the notif stated that i would be receiving both on the 18th.  Since the second order were for presents, this was fine.  Long story short,  i received the first order on the 23rd and never received the 2nd order.  

I tried calling the useless phone numbers  and went online to twice to first make a change to my order and finally to track the missing 2nd order 12 days after it was supposed to arrive.

capjlp  is right in that the telephone numbers are totally facades and "online" chat was clocked at 40mins the 1st time and 1hr 5mins the 2nd.  The first time, after waiting so long, after i entered my order number as reference, my response to the rep went unanswered (probably went on to ignoring the next que of chatters).  

The second, i was prepared, i typed my entire order number, complaint and action i wanted to be taken and awaited their response so that i can click send. The 2nd wait broke the camels back for me and instead of asking the status, i added "Please cancel order and refund my $".  To their saving grace, my $ was refunded within an hour.

The 90mm i got, we it looks pretty but even setting travel adjustements, the servos broke and had to be replaced, and the landing gears tore out of their foam on takeoff attempt in the grass.  Looks like with a bit of rebuilding (and mods), she'll be airborne.  But I knew fully well what I was getting so no resentment in that dept.

My advice simple advice is no matter how alluring the deals are BH does not seem worthy of my $.  I've ordered from many other online shops that will no doubt receive repeat business instead.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered 3 RTF jets with a extra battery each for just over $450.00 2 years ago and they arrived on time, in excellent shape.

One of the jets arrived without the advertised battery charger, the box contents stated "charger included", the info at the end of the BH demo vid on their site listed "charger included".

I called to inform BH of the missing charger and requested they send me one and the young lady to whom I was speaking informed me the info at the end of the video was a "MISS PRINT" and there was nothing they could do...[].

Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market for a 70mm jet, but I will definately pass on Banana Hobby. Too much bad press. I dont care if a few people or even half the people are happy. Thats not enough to take the risk.
Edwin
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

1)Easytiger Curtis will call you , emial you and respond to it all , he is an rcu guy who cares and flys .
2)Sapac
3)EJF while I thought they may be good , I get PM differant storys on varied servaces and customer support , so this one is up to you
Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Edwin

So far I'm leaning towards EJF. I got the het 70mm fan with Het 2w-20 motor from them. I'll take a more serious look at sapac. Havent even looked at easytiger yet. Will check them out. Thanks, this is what RCU is all about.
Edwin
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: Edwin

So far I'm leaning towards EJF. I got the het 70mm fan with Het 2w-20 motor from them. I'll take a more serious look at sapac. Havent even looked at easytiger yet. Will check them out. Thanks, this is what RCU is all about.
Edwin

I done business with Robert over at EJF and had nothing but great service from him. I've only purchased the RC Lander line of stuff so I cant comment on the Het line. I have a friend who's doing their twin F-18 he likes the kit but is dragging his feet on the build so who knows when I'll see it fly.
Happy New Year
Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Edwin , no problem , I know EJF has some cool planes as well .
Easy tiger has some good large jet deal right now , I am looking at my xmas money
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
capjlp

Question guys those that have the 90mm FA/18

Well its come to asking the forum for help. I need to know the control throws for my Banana Hobby 90 MM Fa/18 Blitz RC Works EDF Jet. I have had it for about 2 months now and I can't get BH on the horn, email or online to tell me the control throws. It's a great looking jet everything works well or seems to after hooking it all up. But I need to know the throws. The manual as the CG but not the throws.

Please if anyone has the this jet can you help me out. I got the Tiger Meet scheme so its a newer unit.

Thanks
CapJLP
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 AM
topgun600
My Feedback: (41)

You all buy a model you pay under $300 for a ready to fly plane, then cry when the electronic are just so so. Back in the day $300 was for a box of balsa wood, you spend all winter building your plane one stick at a time. You all need to go back to when there was no arf's just kits and parts to build the plane then you appreciate the hobby !! and stop wining like a bunch of two year old in a sand box.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What chew talk'n bout...?

These guy's don't know nutten bout balsa sticks, poorly die cut ribs, bulk heads and formers, silk span, Ambroid and Testers Dope...

That's ol school, the way it WAS, we're all spoiled now, RTF means 3-D, bomb runs and strafing, gear up & down out of the box, I've been flying, building, assembling, modifying and re-kiting for 40 years and seen it all and all I've been doing since 1976 is ARF's and lately RTF EDF.

All I wana do is modify and fly...
Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 AM
DqP

Yeah...and "back in the day" you could have written that comment response with your number 2 pencil, licked a stamp to have a letter go into a magazine only wait for the next issue before you can get a response.

I so disagree with comments like that.  So just like anything else, this hobby has evolved to the point where pilots can be pilots and builders can be builders.  Some guys just love to glue tiny piece of balsa into tiny little crevices and i certainly respect that talent (and patience), for me, that stuff bores me to death.  I've done my fair share of builds (and of course repairs) but I'm here to fly.  I'm not impatient, I just want to go out to the field and burn through my stack of batteries day after day and building my flight skills.  

Part of my collection includes 8 foamy jets of which many of those were purchased with me being well aware of what i was buying. Guys like me are able to get into the part of this hobby that we enjoy.  The evolution of this hobby has allowed me to afford the time and materials to get into the air quickly. 

I agree that you certainly get what you pay for with a $300 RTF but it's a start for most of us.   Anyways, i don't this this post was started to complain about quality.  It was started to figure out if you paypal your $300 to Banana Hobby, will you ever get what you thought you ordered.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Despotes

BH hasn't replied to my e-mails. Easytiger replied in about 15 minutes. Guess who got my money?

I'm surprised BH is still in business.

Back in the day Just10-ishyears agoI paid $1800 for a PIII 600E with a VooDoo3 3000. Today you can buy A LOT more with $1800 with MUCHbetter performance.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
capjlp

I am not sure I know what back in the day means? I been flying models for 25 years are you talking back farther than that?

I know what good service is. And so far I haven't received it from BH on this purchase.

Think of my situation. I paid 600 bucks for the receiver ready plane. Got it in about a month after ordering. The manual does not have the control throws in it.

They will not answer phone ,emails or online. I think I have a good dispute.O and I can wine all i want to especially if its a nice white wine or even a smooth red
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Funny, I have had no problem getting thru to them, on line or by phone.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM
capjlp

That's not funny that's great can you get the control throws for me. Or have them call me it doesn't work for me. I have tried to call so many times now that I have phone number memorized.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

Read the threads over on rcgroups. BH is a horrid company.

I have ordered stuff from them before. It's true, if you have no problems with the kit your experience is positive. That is how it started with me. But if you are missing even a control rod in your kit, go ahead and see what your experience is then! I had missing parts in my kit and it took weeks just to get them to respond. Then they wouldnt refund my money for another order I canceled after all their shenanigans.

I cant even believe BH is still in business and has people sending them money. Online support is a joke, call them and it tells you to call back or go online.

If you like being punished for spending money and getting lackluster service then BH is for you! I will never buy anything else from them again. There are other vendors out there carrying the same stuff, and they are a pleasure to deal with...

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased my first foamie from BH.

On line, they answered all my stupid questions. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Got two e-mails, one for the order and the other for shipping. Guess it's for shipping cuz I haven't opened it yet.

I think EDF jets are great! So I decided to try it out. Hope I get hooked.

Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.