Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby-Lobby SU-34 Full Back

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Hobby-Lobby SU-34 Full Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM
arado240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby-Lobby SU-34 Full Back

hi,

I have a SU-34 fullback, after some testing of the engines I too also have a dud ESC, one engine is now down on revs. The ESC gets hot also. Not sure what I did wrong.

I haven't flown my Su-34 yet, might have to get a pair of ESC's of better quality. but it might still fly ok, will yaw a little..

ar

Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Juan Garcia
My Feedback: (7)

Discard stock ESC's.
Are crap.
Buy this:http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3730&Product_Name=TURNIGY_Sentry_60amp_Speed_Controller .

Juan.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
MaxThrottle

Hotpod; any aftermath pictures. I like that cameron on a boom. What camera was this?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM
hotpod

I have shots from a second camera that show the damage, I should have that up in a week or so. The camera is the GoPro HD HERO its shooting HD with a 170 degree field of view.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
MaxThrottle

That about 150g hanging off the tail. Did it seem sluggish with the camera on the tail? How long with that rod that it was attached to?
Nice shot though
Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 AM
hotpod

Very sluggish, I had weight on the nose to balance within the recommended CG. But the aircraft wanted to roll & I was not high enough to save it. the new airframe is ordered & I promise to keep it in the air longer. As for the carbon rod... it puts the camera about 14 inches behind the aircraft.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 AM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have waited all this time for a new fan blade and landing gear. What a shame that nearly $1,000.00 worth of planes are hanging in the rafters due to less than favorable equipment. I finally cancelled my order from HL and am most likely done with them. This has been an expensive lesson and a true indication of what to expect from the retailers that sell these aircraft. For the ones that got a good one, congratulations and enjoy them. As for me, I'll be converting my fleet back to nitro thank you.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM
MaxThrottle

Xviper this is a common experience when it comes to HL but the are other vendors or other ways to get from HL. By Frame only or even just the foam parts and the needed plastic and build up from there with more reliable components. You'll sleep better
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
ftjets

ORIGINAL: MaxThrottle

Xviper this is a common experience when it comes to HL but the are other vendors or other ways to get from HL. By Frame only or even just the foam parts and the needed plastic and build up from there with more reliable components. You'll sleep better
Already tried that MT. Forked out a bundle for a fuselage kit, hoffman magnetics fans, spektrum digital servos, new 60 amp ESC's (i think) but flameouts caused landing gear damage twice so i installed stock fans and one blew apart on the last flight. I got two working HM motors out of four ordered. Look back in the thread so see my mods and issues i have had. These foamies are a crap shoot. Some have better luck than i with them though. The HM decision was a bad one. As i stated, i got two motors that worked out of four and they drew so many amps that i couldn't keep them running. They refused to respond to my appeals for warranty also. This is too much work for me. My nitro planes fly. It's that simple. I have noticed that there are many more threads in several forums that discuss problems with these foamies than positive reviews. All of them can't simply be viewed as whiners. The trend is obvious to me. I say if you cannot support your product then do not sell it.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 AM
MaxThrottle

I hear you. You could switch up to composite for the same money. XFlight 70mm F22 is $300. HL's foam EF2000 PNP is $400. If they at least put a good clear coat to help them last I'd be happier.
Still I was looking at a TBM 71" wing, Comp Fuse Skyraider for only $279. much much bigger model for less. To furnish it is abit more $$$ but you'd have to seriously crash it before sendin it to the bone yard.
I guess they are filling a need for those who want to get into the jet world.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 AM
ftjets

I had an SU-27 nitro waiting to be built as well as a large scratch built f-14 that is 25% complete but got very busy and had no time so i was looking for a quick fix also. Spending the money on the second one was nothing but determination and according to the accepted definition, insanity. (you know, doing the same thing expecting different results) I refused to let this model beat me so i spent even more on another one with better electronics that would set new speed records. [&o] Not even close. I thought that choosing the hoffman magnetics fans and motors was like getting the best for my new jet but while i pondered the fact that they were getting out of the business, i assumed that i would recieve quality products which were basically leftover junk that all of their retailers scrambled to unload. I got sucked into that one. Yes, i could have built one of the composites for the almost the same money i have spent on the three foamie jets that are hanging in the rafters because i cannot get replacement parts and refuse to buy more modifications. Although, i think i have said that before also. I'll get them running again when i have time and i'll fly them until they fall apart or crash but just as many are complaining about, it is the support from the retailers for these models that is the most frustrating. You either wait for weeks or months for parts or spend the time and money modifying them which totally eliminates the "quick fix" idea. Also, i am an experienced modeler. I feel for those who are new to the hobby as they try to figure out the issues with some of these kits. Good luck to all who take on the challenge of these things. Never is a long time so i won't even say it but i don't see myself rushing to try any more for awhile.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Would it be possible to run both motors on one ESC? I have a Castle creations phoenix 80 that I am not using right now. I ask because it would also save a little weight.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
JPriami

subscribed to thread
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 PM
JPriami

I might be getting one of these SU-34 360 thrust planes. I have the F-35, well I did have an F-35 till today. I was flying in an unfamiliar area and got to close to a tree ( I can fix it I just havent ordered the parts yet) . I haven’t seen a hobby-lobby SU-34 fly in real life yet. Just in videos. How do these compare to the F-35 from hobby-lobby? The F-35 would do strange things like look like its defying gravity and just hang in the air. Kind of freaky lol. Is the SU-34 a plane you have to keep moving pretty quickly to stay in the air or it will drop like a brick? Or does it sort of glide at slow speed like the F-35? I know there is a weight difference in the two planes also. And size. I hear the F-35 is considered to fly faster than the SU-34. But I can’t really tell in the videos if that’s true or not.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 AM
ftjets

ORIGINAL: NitroSS

Would it be possible to run both motors on one ESC? I have a Castle creations phoenix 80 that I am not using right now. I ask because it would also save a little weight.
Not being an absolute expert on electric power i won't say that it is impossible to run two motors on one esc but i have never tried it nor have i ever heard of anyone else trying it but i surely would not recommend it. But you do have me curious though. I happen to have some old motors and esc's laying around that are expendable. I might just try to answer that. Still won't recommend it but i can't pass up a challenge.

As far as the SU-34, when they do run they fly pretty nicely. They (mine) are pretty stable and will handle slow flight surprisingly nice. Mine floated a bit on final most of the time until i started landing with power on. I fly mine all the way to the ground on landing. It doesn't take much throttle but i keep power on until it touches down. Overall, they are a nice flying jet. I just had some bad luck with the electronics and landing gear.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:51 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't run two brushless motors on one ESC.  Something to do with feedback making it impossible for the controller to sense both motors. 

would make things a lot easier wouldn't it?

The only dual brushless ESC I've seen so far is the one that came in my Art-Tech SU 27.  But it was basically two esc's piggybacked onto a common input and radio lead....

A
Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 AM
ftjets

ORIGINAL: a65l

Can't run two brushless motors on one ESC. Something to do with feedback making it impossible for the controller to sense both motors.

would make things a lot easier wouldn't it?

The only dual brushless ESC I've seen so far is the one that came in my Art-Tech SU 27. But it was basically two esc's piggybacked onto a common input and radio lead....

A
Guess that answers that question. [&o] I guess i should have thought about that. Good answer. I might try it anyway on two junk motors just to see what happens. [:-]
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM
JPriami

Hello,
I am a new owner of the Su-34 Fullback 360 twin thrust vector EDF jet. Drove down to HL this morning to see the sidewalk sale and to buy this. I have an F-35 also. And I use my Futaba 7CAP PCM/PPM radio system. I am having some trouble figuring out how to wire or program the 360* nozzles to move in accordance to the ailerons. Im not sure if its how I have the servos wired to the receiver or what. I think that’s it honestly because I have the 2 servos to the nozzles in a Y cable to the receiver but I can’t figure out how to do it differently. But right now I can have the nozzles move in accordance with the rudder left to right and with the elevators up and down. But I am lost on how to make them move opposite directions and do the same motion the ailerons are doing. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 AM
kirk.lara

NitroSS,

Greetings from Brazil!
I was using a 9 ch receiver with my JR X9303 and used every single channel to setup the bird. You are absolutely right. The reason why you are not getting the aileron mixing is because they are connected together. You need to connect every thrust vector servo in a different channel to be able to use the aileron mix.
Now, I`m using a 7 ch receiver with the same radio, and connected together the 2 thrust vectors servos. A tried some maneuvers with the aileron mixed with the TV and believe me: there isn`t any difference in the roll speed. Maybe the guys from the post have another kind of experience. This is the reason that I changed to a 7 ch receiver.
I`m using all 7 ch from the receiver. The only option I see to configure all independent TVs is not using the landing gear retraction. Keep it fixed. You can do it changing the gear plastic assembly. If you take a look on the spare parts that you`ve received, there are three black plastic parts for the landing gear. They will make your gear fixed.
Kirk
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

did you call them on the ecs ? I am asking because I have heard that at times ecah esc has to be set up (one at a time ) with your radio , you may need to reprogram before you think the ecs is bad .

I emailed them directly on the all the complaints of the ecs and motors ect , while they did reply and said they have much better QC , I was also told that at times ecah ecs has to be set individually before proper operation .
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM
JPriami

I played around with it some more last night trying to see if I could wire it different or what. But no such luck. I'd need an 8Ch transmitter to make it work properly I think.
No big deal I just put it back the way I had it with the elevators and rudders mixed to the thrust servos to move them accordingly.

BTW for those of you who own this bird, Do you see any significant difference in flight with the bombs & missiles on it? Or is it about the same on vs. off?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:30 PM
kirk.lara

I flew mine first without and then with the bombs.
I've noticed no difference in both configs.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
ser00

Hey NitroSS,

I have the Futaba 2.4gz 7C and I was able to program the TV to the elevator and to only one aileron. You should find three servo cables labeled Vector 1, 2 and 3. One of these gets y-harnessed with the nose gear. This will move the nozzles left and right. To make the nozzles work work with the elevators and ailerons, you will need to have programmable mixes set up. You will slave these vectors 1 and 2 (I think) to the elevators. One mix will move the vectors up with up elevator, another mixes moves them down. Another mix will slave them to one of the ailerons. If I had another programmable mix, I could slave the other nozzle to the remaining aileron. In my opinion, mixing the nozzles with ailerons do not really make much of a flight difference. I find the plane kind of tricking to land. The plane with float and float with a little throttle. If I cut the throttle, the plane stops and drops. I keep messing up the landing gear and had to replace them already because I break the plastic collar that attached the gear wire into the landing gear "box" (I do fly this plane at a grass field). It is nice to use the TV on the plane, but I disabled it for now. The plane does not loop with TV on, it flips nose over tail. It is really cool to see but the plane will lose altitude really fast (almost 20 feet). Now of course, I have flown this jet in winds between 12-15 mph and this could be causing some of my issue (such as landing). I also think that the plane is dangerously balanced to being almost tail heavy (to make it more maneuverable). I am going to make my plane a little nose heavy and see if that helps with the landing. I like to land somewhat hot and this plane will fly so slow that it will stall and drop. But, overall, it is a good flying plane (especially if you treat it like a four-channel plane). May I suggest that if you use the included battery, fly no more than three minutes with varied throttle, 2.5 minutes if you are WOT, and give yourself 30 seconds to land. It is truly a beautiful plane in the air. I also have the F-35 Lighting II TV and the red,white and blue F-16 TV also (they are still in the boxes.)

Happy Flying and Soft landings!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
ser00

My two cents on flying with or without the bombs and missiles. It doesn't make a big difference. Some might say that if you are looking for more speed, then fly without them. The plane is not going to be a speed demon, especially if you keep it stock. Some have built the air frame only and added better motors with some speed improvements but nothing drastic (or worth the increased expense for the marginal speed gain). My advice to you, fly it in whichever configuration you think looks the coolest. For me, I like it with the bombs and missiles on.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Question , I am experienced in fule warbirds but looking at the fun jets ect . I am looking at three jets , this oneThe Su 34 , the Euro Fighter , and the Fly Fly F4 .
The simplest of theses jets the F4 seems to have the leaste things that could go wrong lol , do in that case is that a good first jet vs these other two versions offered by Hobby Lobby ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.