Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wemotec Minifan Motors

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Wemotec Minifan Motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wemotec Minifan Motors

I have just acquired a Jetarrows (HT Modellbau) A-10. http://www.jetarrows.com/thunderbolt/page.phtml?lg=en

I intend to fit a pair of Wemotec Minifan Pros but need some advice on motors/batteries/ESC. The website does give some suggestions but I was wondering what everyone else was using in these fans to give reasonable performance in terms of power and duration.

Also, I have read on that website that JETI ESCs have had a little trouble on EDF (specifically with the MEGA motors) as they are designed for props. The author of the website sent them back to JETI for reprogramming. Have any of you had ESC problems when running the Wemotec fan?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wemotec Minifan Motors

I have been using the HET 3W motors (~$50) with the HET Tsunami 36 amp ESC's. A great combo with a 4S lipo. My avitar uses a pair of the MF480's and, while no speed demon, my F89 cruises easily for 4.5 minutes on a single 4Sx3300 lipo. This set up will develop 450~500 watts and with well designed nacelles, such as the A10, I would figure 52~55 oz. of static thrust with the above set-up.

The motors drop right in to the shroud although they do require a single wrap of electrical tape to get a tight fit.

You might want to ask this question at RCGroups, where some very knowledgeable EDF types hang out. Some of them have reported very good results with other, perhaps less expensive, motors.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Siclic, how did your A-10 turn out? A couple of us are thinking of doing them. We would want to do a 6s setup as we have a bunch of 6s 5000's around. I was looking at the Vasafan and a mega motor but cost wise the mini-fans appear hard to beat. I am leanding towards the het 2s25 with midifan as a low cost alternative. I would probably run either a castle or maybe a eflite pro esc. How bout a couple of pics of the kit. How was it to build, and how did it fly?

Thanks! Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Extreme_RC

The A10 comes out over 3kg right? I would be wary of using 3W's in it as they can only produce a max of 1kg thrust each on quality 4 cell packs.

The 2W20 in the Minifan will get you around 1.25kg thrust, but thats still pretty marginal for an A10, the real one has a heap of power, not much speed.

The 2W18-V2 which is the best up to 1000w 4 cell motor for the Minifanwill get you 1.5-1.6kg at 60A/850W+.

The 2W25 in the Minifan pulls around 42-48 amps depending on battery quality, its a nice mild 6s setup and a pair of them running a single 5000mah 6s pack would work real well, around 1000-1100 watts is what we see from one of these fans with 3200mah 6s1p 35c packs.

A pair of HW80A esc's or the same thing rebranded(as long as its their premium series) willgive you utterly reliableperformance, they have switchmode BEC's builtin, one MUST be disabled, the other will run 5 servos easily, I run 7 servos off one in my big 90mm F16 and 4 of these are small digital servos!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 PM
2walla

I pulled the trigger on one of the Modellbau a-10's and a couple of castle 75a ice controllers. Still have to figure out the fans/motors. But am leaning towards the minifans and the 2x25 het setup unless I can find something remarkably better..
Old 11-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Extreme_RC

The 2W25 in the Minifan is a really sweet setup, its not too amp hungry and thats important when you are building a relatively small twin. I dont think you will get much better value for money, you just need to find a dealer over there who has both on the shelf. The look of the minifan in an open nacelle like the A10 will be more pleasing too, and it will sound nice. I have set upa couple of the HET A10'son mid level 4 cell systems and they flew nicely, very stable. I think your one is a bit bigger, post up some photos when you start on it!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
2walla

The minifans and het motors worked out great and have plenty of power.. Paul used the schulman fury aluminum shroud fans from on his. They work ok but I think the minifans/het combo are a bit lighter and make as good or better power. I havent downloaded the data from the speed controls but after i flew it the battery was just warm.. The speed controls may need a bit more cooling air and may end up getting hung out in the breeze under the nacelles.. The thing flies just like a quickie 500 racer.. no bad habits, just mushes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13641.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1632042  
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Extreme_RC

Looks good! The wemo's are definitely better fans than the schulmann, the schulmann are just rebadged Landers and the lander rotor is not at the same level as the wemotec. And you are right on the weight, in the 4 cell fans the wemo and HET 2W18 is a lot lighter than the lander, your 2W25's would be lighter too even though they are a longer motor. I would only recommend alloy housings for the really high power stuff, the wemo housing is more than capable of handling most situations.