Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CONVERTING DUCTED GAS FAN TO EDF

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

CONVERTING DUCTED GAS FAN TO EDF

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:16 PM
gamby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONVERTING DUCTED GAS FAN TO EDF

Hi Guys I am here to ask the "MASTERS OF FASTER THAN AIR AND PROPS " for a simple question that I do not have an answer for. I have just gotten a top gun MIG 29 and it is about 20yrs old still NIB. it calls for a ducted gas fan of the early days of jets but I wish to convert it to EDF .Does any one have any idea what I can do or buy to do this? I have been aa 1/4 scaler WWII builder and flyer and this is new to me .So MAY DAY MAY DAY .tHANKS GUYS i RELLY APPRECIATE IT. GAMBY
Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Ken Jack

Default RE: CONVERTING DUCTED GAS FAN TO EDF

Hi,Gammby,To do the covertion to electric ducted fan is fairly easy and there are several ways ,you can buy a dynamax electric conversion,or can buy a Jet Hanger hobies fan ready to use,I think they are now called Jet Hanger International ,or you can buy a viojet electric from Bob violet.Hope this helps you,Regards,Ken Jack
Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

It was built around the Byron fan. The have a Byron fan conversion to electric. Very easy and cheap.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
jetflyrf86
My Feedback: (31)

Go to RC Groups as there is a building thread on the Mig 29
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...top+gun+mig+29
This should provide most of the info you are looking for. I framed up one for a friend of mine, but never saw it finished
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Jag Fan

you could also go with a Stumax fan or something from Tamjets. the Stumax fan has a lot of thrust for its size and sounds really cool too. it sounds a lot like a turbine.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
69 roadrunner

Iam doing the same thing but with F16 from jet hanger. the org. fan was 5.5 in. they sold me a 3 5/8 fan for elec. puts out more air than the old 5.5 in fan. Call larry at jet hanger he is great guy to talk to and will be a great help. RoadRunner
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a TGA Mig-29 and it's flying on a Byron EDF fan. The biggest issues you're going to face are getting enough battery into the plane to run the fan. The rc groups thread is very helpfull, but here's one specifically on converting the Byron fan to electric. The Byron might be the best way to go, it seems to be less expensive than the Dynamax and it's a whole lot cheaper than a stumax.

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606759&highlight=byron[/link]

But it's a great flying airplane, with no bad habits I can see. If you want any pics of where I mounted batteries, etc, drop me a note and I'll post some

Andy