Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Evader EDF

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evader EDF

Finishing up the new Evader from Great Planes. Wondering if anyone is using the supplied bungee launch setup ? ...... this plane seems to have so much power, that I think it can probably just fly out of your hand with a minimal hand launch effort. Thanks. Bob
Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
bobferguson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evader EDF

From rcgoups re hand launch

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12
Old 04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
gp125racer

Havent flown mine yet, but am definately planning on using the bungee for the first few flights.

Don
Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
focusproduct

Keep us posted on how she flies. I just flew my kyosho jet illusion for the first time today and what a joy! Love that little plane!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 AM
BalsaBob

Yes, I am going to use the bungee setup. Though this plane has a lot of power ...... it is also fairly heavy (for a plane this size). Bob
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM
BalsaBob

Flew the Evader for the first time today. WOW ! ...... very fast ! Incredible vertical performance ! Fastest (small) EDF I have ever seen. The bungee launch worked great ! ...... its a heavy airplane for its size .... I don't think hand launching it is a great idea. The guidance and information in the manual on flight performance, setup and the use of the bungee launcher, is very accurate.

Bob
Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Ductedfann
My Feedback: (2)

If your looking for one Ductedfans-rc.com in stock. I use Wemo Micro fan and Mighty Might motor on 2200 4s hand launched

Morris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94575.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1447992  
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been reviewing this Jet for RCU Magazine and I agree that the bungee launcher is far superior to hand launch. And yes... It is FAST!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Went out to fly mine today, but could not.

During the "break in" procedure, all of a sudden at the 3/4 throttle setting a lot of vibration. Stopped to inspect. Looks like the motor shaft is bent. I'll take it apart to be sure. No way it could fly this way, it would shake itself apart.

I was not surprised at the rather crummy looking fan and housing (after all, what can you expect for the price...), wondered how it could hold up at this rpm. Is it too late to retrofit a better motor/fan into the shroud that is already epoxied into the plane?

Dave
Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

More...

Took the airplane apart. Was pleasantly surprised that I was able to pull the HyperFlow unit out (the CA joint to the fiberglass shroud came loose). Just like the guy over on rcgrps, I found the "flange" at the front of the fan housing (that the motor screws to) had melted and allowed the motor to do about 1/4 turn. A very ugly mess. I'd post a pic but just the same as the one over on the other forum.

Also saw some interesting discussions about sanding flash off fan and stator blades, and especially comments about NOT doing what the manual recommends on removing the guide fins inside the motor housing. I found that once these were gone and the bore was smooth, the motor fit quite loosely. I ended up wrapping the opposite (non-drive) end of the motor with some vinyl tape to keep it centered. Perhaps as was speculated on the other site, this tape restricts motor cooling, and causes the melting problem. The advice seems to be to slowy trim down the guide fins with a hobby knife so you get a good fit bit still centered.

I think a good compromise would be to reach past the end of the housing with the dremel sanding drum, remove all the fins to the front housing, leaving maybe 3/8" to 1/2" of guide fin to trim carefully with a hobby knife.

Ugh. I sure would love to find a much nicer fan that is no so much of a kludge... but at least I can repair now...

Dave