Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Wisdumb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F-16C EDF Build

Holy Crap!  The internet at this new apartment really sucks!  It took 7 hours to upload this video.  I miss you FIOS!  I hate you DSL!  :-)  

I had to reinstall the nose gear and start hooking things up so that I wouldn't lose any parts.  The garage organization is slow going around here!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io2sMQdgDuo[/youtube]
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

Just curious, why not use the flex-cable on the steering?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Wisdumb

You mean as per the instructions? LOL! I should really pay more attention to those. I need to get in there and try to get more clearance for the steering arm; it still brushes up against the duct... I'm just afraid the flexible cable won't have enough "oomph!"

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hey,

Just curious, why not use the flex-cable on the steering?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the flex cable on mine and its great. I have done the rod also and the flex cable is much better. You just need to glue it to the duct in a few places to keep it from flexing to much. But steering has been rock solid with the flex cable.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

What's up with this build?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Wisdumb

Not much.. I haven't been able to touch it since I've been going to California every weekend to work on the house. Gunradd is going to send me pictures of the flexible steering you were referring to. Once I get that figured out I'll make another video. I'm taking this next weekend off from the house and dedicating to RC if it kills me! If you have any pics feel free to post, I just need to see it to understand it (how it connects up by the servo, etc...
Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Wisdumb

Well, I charged up the battery on the camcorder last night and went to the garage today to make a new movie.  Unfortunately the camera didn't turn on.  The battery may be bad.  I'm attempting to charge again and we'll see what happens.  

I've been sizing up how I'm going to mount the tube for the flexible cable to the nose gear for steering (based on the pics Gunradd sent).  For the most part should be pretty similar.  

I tried the clevis that came with the flexible cable/tube and it is a little thinner, which makes it so there is no rubbing on the inlet!  Woohoo!  

I'll post up a video tonight if I can get the camera working.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Wisdumb

Here's preparation for the nose gear steering.  The videos going forward will be in 720p to minimize the amount of time to upload to YouTube, but it looks pretty much the same and should play faster on most people's computers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDog3iYfj0g[/youtube]
Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Wisdumb

Worked some more on the nose gear steering setup.  Installed a balsa block notched to line up the cable tube with the clevis on the servo arm.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERp2R-8uH2A[/youtube]
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Wisdumb

Grrr... Our son has taken the garage door opener with him to work the last two days (and there is no way to get into the garage without it!) so I haven't been able to get in to work on the F-16.

I probably won't be able to use the white wheel on the steering servo because I don't think it will provide enough throw.  I would rather have too much throw and trim it down in the radio than barely enough.  I'll replace it with a single arm.

I've also decided to make a few changes to how I'm going to lay out the guts on the inside.  I think I've figured out a way to make a lot more room inside so I don't have to cram stuff in (no cutting required).  I'll reveal that soon...
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Have you considered going straight from the servo arm (a long one that moves the clevis further out) to the steering arm in a relatively straight line? I cut a notch in the rear nose-gear mount for the sleeve to rest in, then did the notched balsa block like you're doing. It's a straight shot from the servo to the steering arm. You really don't want any drag in the flex-cable if you can avoid it, but you want the stiffest sleeve possible (like the fluted yellow Sullivan type) to keep the steering rigid.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Wisdumb

Hi,

Have you considered going straight from the servo arm (a long one that moves the clevis further out) to the steering arm in a relatively straight line? I cut a notch in the rear nose-gear mount for the sleeve to rest in, then did the notched balsa block like you're doing. It's a straight shot from the servo to the steering arm. You really don't want any drag in the flex-cable if you can avoid it, but you want the stiffest sleeve possible (like the fluted yellow Sullivan type) to keep the steering rigid.
I did think of that, but I'm sure this way will be fine, too. (Unfortunately in this case by the time you guys got to see the video I had already glued it all up. Everything seems to move with relatively little effort. We'll see once we get it on the ground if that's still the case.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Wisdumb

Finally finished the nose gear steering.  Here's the vid.  I made a custom part (that I'm sure exists already but I couldn't find).  Now the gear is fully removable as is the steering cable.  I'm happy with the outcome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqS_IJlGpE[/youtube]
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Interesting. On mine, I have the servo facing the other direction so that the arm is a straight shot to the steering arm. I did the notched balsa block, too. I also notched the side frame of the retract unit to keep the cable from getting pinched. Works great, too (but takes about a half hour to install).
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Wisdumb

Well, I'm back at the F-16, although the film gods are conspiring against me. My battery won't seem to hold a charge on my HD camera, and my iPhone reboots when I try to shoot video... Grrr....

I have been running the air lines and neatening things up. I decided I will put the air sequencer just above the custom former I made just behind the cockpit (the one that holds the intake spike in position to alleviate some of the stress from the landing gear on the duct.) I have tested all air cylinders (not hooked up to sequencer) individually and they all hold air without issue.  

Another note, I re-attached the nose gear door WITHOUT offsetting to try my theory that if you glue it in place while the cylinder is in fully retracted position then the door will be perfect. No need to compensate for cylinder pressure or anything like that. So how did it work? PERFECT! Now it doesn't twist or bow or any of the crazy stuff it did before. DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying my way is better or that Yellow Aircraft is wrong, I'm just saying that my way worked for me. 

Another note: I am going to mount the Stumax on its side to make more room for (at least two) of the batteries. This will put more weight near the center of gravity. I'm going to mock up some phony batteries and see the feasibility before I go too crazy. It would be great if I could fit 2 5cells on the sides and only have to put a 2 cell somewhere else, or do the 3 4 cell thing. I'm hearing good things about the Gens Ace batteries so I'll mock up some of those dimensions.

I'll keep trying to get some new video up when I can get at least one of the cams working.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Wisdumb

Here's a quickie:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42by_CSw69A[/youtube]
Old 09-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Shaun Evans

Hey,

Are your wings permanently attached?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Wisdumb

Hey,

Are your wings permanently attached?
No, they are removable, but it fits perfect in my Jeep without having to take them off

Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Wisdumb

I finally got my batteries! They're from HobbyCrap.com and they're top of the line! They're 5S 100C and 5001mAh (Because that's better than 5000mAh). They're only 25% more likely to explode than the last Gen. I especially like that they're wrapped in safety asbestos and they come with chemical burn cream! Check 'em out!

Ok, actually these are my mockups to size up whether I can get 2 5S in the airplane by the fan. Unfortunately, they are just BARELY too big. I'll have to go with my original plan of 3 4S. But the good news I'll be able to fit 1 on either side of the fan and I can put the last one behind the cockpit.

P.S. I know I spelled "mediocre" wrong, unfortunately I didn't realize it until I had it all assembled. Not quite as funny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27305.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1665802  
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Wisdumb

Here's a quick video showing how the batteries fit and a few other things.  Still waiting for those festo parts.  I'm hoping I can find my chunk-o plywood today and work on the fan mounts/rails today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alf-1uM-Lqw[/youtube]
Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Wisdumb

Ok, the work on the top fan mount/rail has begun.

1) The first thing I did was to roughly measure and sketch out a basic shape for the pattern. Since I can always remove material later, I just went for a honkin' big rail for now. I used scrap ply from the rails I made last time.

2) Once I had the basic design, it was time to whip out the jig saw and start cutting. Once I had the basic shape it was time to smooth it out and make it look somewhat "professional." Time for the belt sander!

3) I sanded all the sides smooth. Then I cut out all the notches that will fit into the supports that I'll hysol onto the existing bulkheads

4) Before I could fit the rail into place, I had to cut some notches in the fiberglass in the hatch area. I'm going to make it so that the back of the rail will fit into place first into a notch at an angle, then pivot to allow the front of the rail to rest into its forward support. This way I'll only need to secure the front. This should be pretty slick because I'll be able to remove the fan very easily.

5) Voila! Done for now. In the picture you can see how I notched the front of the rail to rest/lock into place when we have the forward supports installed.

6) In the last picture you can see the area I will cut out to reduce the weight and still keep it strong.

I'm still working on the logistics for the bottom rail, but should be pretty much the same process. I'll post up some more pics/video when I get to that point.

I'VE TRIED MANY TIMES TO UPLOAD THE PICS BUT THE SERVER HAS AN "UNKNOWN" PROBLEM. I'LL TRY AGAIN LATER.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Wisdumb

Messing with the air lines, getting them organized. I really like the festo connectors, but they're new to me and I can't seem to find anything on the web about using them. Can someone tell me the following:
-How they work (I see they have barbs on the inside to keep them from coming back out once you've pushed them in. Anybody have a link to a diagram or cutaway?)
-How do you disconnect them. I messed with one and I just pulled hard and the tubing came out. I'm not sure if that is the best way, it seems you'd bend back the barbs...

Anyway, they seem to work great and the only air leak I found was from one of my lengths of tubing being too flexible, and it was actually on the air cylinder side where it was leaking.

Here's a quick video showing how I organized the air lines and tidied things up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yH0m4Fl73U[/youtube]
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

They look simular to the air fittings used on the Harley Davidson Air Shocks. they kinda work like a chinese finger trap. The harder you pull them the harder they lock. To release push in on the hose and pull out on the blue part of the fitting and it should release.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Hi guys, Im looking for a cockpit kit for my Yellow F-16. My F-16 is made different than the one being built here. Here is a pic if I can upload!! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77946.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1683449  
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Wisdumb

Ok, back on task! I was dreading pulling out the nose gear to thread-lock that screw that came out, but I decided to bite the bullet and just do it. I decided it'd be a great idea to get them all so it doesn't happen again!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWxJ_hz1hYE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.