Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats a good Transmitter/Reciever

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Whats a good Transmitter/Reciever

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 AM
dwong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good Transmitter/Reciever

What is a good transmitter/reciever that i can get that is not very expensive and where can I get it from?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
rcmiket

Default RE: Whats a good Transmitter/Reciever

ORIGINAL: dwong

What is a good transmitter/reciever that i can get that is not very expensive and where can I get it from?

What's the intended use? How many channels will you need? Helicopter or plank and how many model memory? 2.4 or 72? For starters before I could recommend something.
Mike
Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 AM
dwong

I plan on flying scales planes like electric rc jets. I would prefer 6ch with 2.4. Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
rcmiket

I've been flying a DX7 now for several years and like it and it features. 20 model memory and so on. I fly planks, EDF's and helicopters on it. The DX61 would meet you needs but you might outgrow it. Most who have owned this radio have and have moved on to the DX or 9303 (which will be my next radio). I've work with some of the Futaba Fast Systems on some helicopters I've set up for guys and they also seem to be pretty easy to us and reliable. Best advise I can give you is buy as much as you can afford. Its a drag to buy a radio only to outgrow it in one season. There are some deals out there on used equipment but unless you know the owner beware. You just never know how it was treated.
Mike
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 AM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dwong

I plan on flying scales planes like electric rc jets. I would prefer 6ch with 2.4. Thanks
I own both Futaba FASST systems and HITEC, both are good. I prefer this HITEC unit over Futaba because you have a lever to control Channel 6 (usually flaps) instead of just a switch. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ7&P=SM
Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
wolfy888

Tower Hobbies is selling its own brand of radio, which is actually a Futaba system on 72mhz for $112. It's the six-channel system, and only differs from the Futaba by having a rotary knob for flaps, instead ofa bat switch. It's a great system for starters, and has enough bells and whistles that you probably won't outgrow it too soon.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 AM
MaxThrottle

Get a nine channel 2.4 . 2.4s are more bullet proof and faster greater resolution for better value. Don't just try to get by for now. Why spend $400 today and quickly realize you need a few more channels and spend another $600-$900, combined now $1300, when you could have just spent the $900 to begin with.

If you know you won't want more down the road Dx7 or other 7 channel radios are great. If you fly jets for speed this will also be enough because they are reducing wieght by using less servos.

But if you are looking to fly jets scale, Flaps, Flapperons, Tailerons, Elevons, Rudderons, Thrust Vectoring, hatches/bomb drops, Butterfly.... these all take you into the 9 - 12 channel class. The solutions to get around these with less channels, i.e external mixers, match boxes, 3 axis gyros etc cost more than just getting more channels in your initial radio.

So the Aurora 9 is great radio for value and has more features than most radios. It still has bugs but you will likely not come across these till you grow into the hobby. By then you can get the bugs out via firmware upgrades.
It would be nice if Futaba that has very good programming and JR that has a variety of Rx's added reversed telemetry and full programmability as the A9 does but who knows when or if they may even do this.
In the end get the radios in you hand and think about flying functionality for how you intend to fly in the future. ANd remember it economically better to choose and stick with a brand because you are basically starting over again if you switch.