RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   RBC TA-183 FINAL BUILD EDF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/10372036-rbc-ta-183-final-build-edf.html)

juanjulian 03-01-2011 09:10 AM

RBC TA-183 FINAL BUILD EDF

1 Attachment(s)

This is a project tha has been on hold for aprox 3 years, and now is the time to finish it. Did not document pictures from the begining of the build so that is why this is a final build.

This is a very interisting model since it was a German jet prototype for WW2, they say the Rusia Mig -15 was based on this plane, and also USA f-86.

TAKE A LOOK AT www.luft46.com rbc kits got insipiration from this web page to produce sevaral planes from this web page.

This are some documents have found in the internet of this plane, and possible cholor squemes. Still not made the choice of color squemes so probably can give your opinion.

</p>

juanjulian 03-01-2011 09:23 AM

RE: RBC TA-183 FINAL BUILD EDF

1 Attachment(s)

The equipment for this plane is:

Wemotec Mini fan Pro 70mm
Kontronic fun 480-33
Lipo 3S battery 3700 mha 30C
ESC hobby wing 80amp
Servos Micro futaba metal gear.

After my success with a Het f-18 with landing gear will do the same with this plane. Think the taking off and landing of a jet is part of the joy of the edf jets. Probably to scare to give it a try to the bunggee launch method.

BUILD STATUS

Fuselage build
wings 90% build waiting for servos hatches and final sanding.
Tails 10%

This plane will be finish with epoxy fiber cloth method and then painted,

</p>

juanjulian 03-03-2011 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

More work getting done.

With family, work, etc this goes in slow motion.

A fairing was done in the tail union with fuselage.

Servo hatches and servo placing in wings.

New braces to add anhedral to the wings -2.5.

</p>

juanjulian 03-03-2011 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Color schemes considered.

The hard ones probably will be omited.

probably will go with a green and yello camuflage or the sudan camuflage.

</p>

juanjulian 03-05-2011 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Advanced a lot friday night, had a hard time waking up for my kid soccer game.

Build a hatch latch.

Build the main landing gear legs.

Modfied a Sullivan tail wheel for front steering caster wheel.
HOW
Heat the brass until it comes off with a solderin iron, then replace this part with a wheel collar, and use a 4-40 bolt that will serve a dual purpose for holdinng in place the wire assembly and also as an steering arm. For sure the pictures describe better than my words. A nyrod tubing was placed at the moment of building the fusselage from the rear to the front.

The stance of the plane has a positive +2 degrees that think will helpinthe takingoff roll. In the documents is apears to be +5 degres in one and +3 in another. There is no real plane of this so for sureI hope +2 is enough.

So after makingthe landing think all the major work has been done. Lets see how hard is to make the elevatos funcional since mentionit is tedius.

</p>

BadLemon 03-12-2011 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Juan

Very interesting build I have always like the Ta-183 Huckebein I have an alfa models foamy fly's very well but I had the motor mount come loose at take off killed the motor and caused a ground loop about 10 feet off the ground. I almost saved the Huck it but then it stalled and hit nose first. Can be fixed just haven't got around to it but your thread may spark the interest! Nice build will be watching.

juanjulian 03-14-2011 06:09 AM

Bad lemon:

Thanks for your post was thinking nobody like this type of jet. I&acute;m a fan of all the technology that the germans where coming up with in WW2. Think problably 85 % of the jets flying today were inspired in their work. Probably the only new technology we have is the tremendous computer power.

No more in teresting pictures to put on this build for the moment.

FINISHEDD ALL THE BUILDING and the sanding to start with the coverig. Asked a friend with experience in west system epoxy and fiber glass covering to help me with this project. Will make time this week to start with the covering.

There are severl options to aply the fiber cloth which are:

Epoxy
Polyestere resin
Poly Urethane water base
Poly Urethane Solvent base.
Monokote.

Did a experiment comparing which is easier to aply and has less final wheigth and this are my persoal findings. Took 2X2 inch 3/32 balsa and covered them.

1. Did not due polyestere resin since had no of it, was warned of compatibility isuues with paint, etc.
2. The vapor issued are of minor iportance doing it in a ventilated area, unless you are alergic.
3. Epoxy covers the fiber cloths ins less aplications than PU solvent and water base. So think epoxy is less work to apply than PU.
4. Three coats of epoxy were equivalent to aprox 6 coats of PU water and solvent base.
5. Think that the wheight gain with PU and Epoxy is the same.
6. The final results are fine using the epoxy and PU methods. THEIR ADVANTAGE IS YOU HAVE A TOUGH FINISH THAT CAN WITHTAND MINOR DENTS.
7. WARNING PU water base causes expansion of wood, since it does the same as soaking in water the wood. My 2X2 balsa square curved.
8. The easiest to aply is MONOKOTE or any iron on film, also this was the less final wheight. The disadvantage of this type of covering is not as tought to minor dents. (you can easily mark your nail in the surface. The looks of iron on covering are not as real as a paint job.

Used West System epoxy and PU Min WAX.

Cheers

Juan

</p>

BadLemon 03-14-2011 06:30 PM

Juan

I agree that the German designs are very inspiring I have always liked the Ta-183. There is a EDF supplier that is work on a new Ta-183 kit that will use a 90mm to 100mm EDF. Link below. I have been put on the list for the release date I got an update that it should be available early summer.

http://www.performance-edf.biz/futureproducts.html

juanjulian 03-15-2011 08:57 AM

Bad Lemon:

EAM.net is suposed to have this plane as a short kit and deluxe kit, from the molds of STEVE NEIL. But not sure if the site is stil working, probably not if they are offering this kit, for sure are the same molds changing hands.

You can find in RCGROUPS all the develpment of to make it fly properly.

Hope that may RBC plane will fly as good.

Cheers.

Juan </p>

juanjulian 03-16-2011 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Covering of the model started last night.

My friend was having troubles getting used to glassing small models, imagine if you have no experience. He hastwo Zirolli projects being done simultaneusly.

Probably the hardest is runing against time scraping all the epoxy in the surface befor it starts to gel. We were using West Systema epoxy 105 resin 205 hardener. It seems he did all the work but I get to part of it and clean up.

</p>

juanjulian 03-28-2011 01:11 PM

This type of finishing is tedius and you have to have pacience.

Need to sand the first layer to aply a flow coat and then if lucky one more sanding , primer, sanding, primer,sanding.

In the mean time while the epxoy cures started a new project. y/a Sting Ray. The Wings and ruders need to have the same type of covering so will do both at the same time.

BadLemon 04-01-2011 04:35 PM

Hi Juan

Looks like your moving along, nice glass work on the wings. I have a questions on your propulsion unit do you think you will loose some efficiency with the ESC in the thrust tube? I was wondering if you ran the the system with and with out the ESC in the thrust tube.

I started rebuilding my Alfa Huck I work on make a new intake tube that got damaged when the stator came loose. Won't look the same as new but if someone asks I tell them it ran into some 51's :D Looking forward to seeing your huck painted have you picked a color scheme yet?

jcterrettaz 04-02-2011 10:33 AM

Hello,
I was using west in the past but know I find [img]Aeropoxy[/img] or 30 minutes epoxy it's much more easy to apply specially when you dilute with 50% of denatured alcohol. I'm using a brush and remove all the excess with toilet paper.
Next ( thanks internet) instead of a second coat of epoxy with microballon to fill the wave , I'm using cheap red filler from wal mart (~ $10) diluted with acetone and brushed .Dry very quick and very easy to sand.:D

juanjulian 04-04-2011 09:59 AM

Bad Lemon:

About the esc inside the thrust tube think this 80 amp is bigger than the jetti 40 amp that used to have. Think this is the best way to cool the esc but probably this esc is to big for this configuration. Hope it works.

About color schemes probably will go with your ALFA color scheme but instead of red yellow.

For the moment have been stalled in this project building the Y/A sting ray to get into the glassing of wings and rudders to work both planes with primer and paint.

</p>

BadLemon 12-10-2011 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Juan

Just thought I would see if your back on the Ta-183 yet. I lost my Ta do to a jammed aileron see pic below. I did get some video this past Summer here is a link to my videos. I even mounted a small camcorder to the Huck as well. I do have another Alfa Ta-183 kit to build but I did find a old Steve Neill 90mm kit and bought it form a guy in Germany. Videos below of the 90mm Ta-183

Alfa Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO-Ke...1aRpX487FG__fy

Steve Neill 90mm Ta-183 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ASW...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrNCJ..._order&list=UL

glazier808 12-12-2011 06:12 PM

May I ask how much you paid for the kit? I've been looking for 1 myself...

Casey

juanjulian 12-13-2011 08:57 AM

Bad Lemon:

You are lucky to find and aquire this kit.

Will wait a see if they manufacture again the kit.

Here is the link of the bussiness that possible will sell the Ta-83 kit.

http://www.performance-edf.biz/futureproducts.htmlprabably if several comit to buy this will be a reallity.

About my build I have been lazy and have not made time to sand and prime sand and prime.

cheers,

Juan

glazier808 12-13-2011 09:37 AM

When I called them about future production of the kit, I was told that it been postponed, as he is having troubles finding somebody to work for mold I guess...

I would surely take 1 if they offered them...

Casey

BadLemon 12-23-2011 11:41 AM

Hi Juan

I know what you mean I need to really work hard this winter to get my projects started I just let everything prevent me for building need to get focus again. Yes I know about Mike Warren I've talked to him several times he gave me the inside scoop and it's not good. I guess time will tell he said he would email me when he has a plan. Well hope things are good for you and when I start my build I'll send you the link.

ORIGINAL: juanjulian

Bad Lemon:

You are lucky to find and aquire this kit.

Will wait a see if they manufacture again the kit.

Here is the link of the bussiness that possible will sell the T a-83 kit.

http://www.performance-edf.biz/futureproducts.html prabably if several comit to buy this will be a reallity.

About my build I have been lazy and have not made time to sand and prime sand and prime.

cheers,

Juan

speed is life 12-23-2011 05:10 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for keeping the interest in the Steve Neil Ta-183.
It has been a real trial trying to find someone with the skills AND the interest to mould a few kits. (I did have a deal in the works, then the guy in question tried to go behind my back and rip me off)
Currently working on another source for glasswork and it now actually looks promising for getting a few of these done.
IF they really happen they will be just as Steve supplied them........a builders kit.......period.
Glass fuse and vertical tail, wing cores (unsheeted), wood bulkheads and horizontal tail. The only difference will be that,per later flight testing, the vertical tail area is slightly enlarged from Steve's original. Ought to be perfect for the new 80mm fans.

More info as soon as I know it.

Cheers,
Mike Warren

glazier808 12-23-2011 06:12 PM

You should contact Vic from Vicrc.com perhaps he could do the fuse for you. He's very skilled and not too far from you...I bet he would be interested!

http://vicrc.com/

his products are second to none.....(I have a few) He has even taylor made fuses lighter for electric applications for me.

Casey

BadLemon 12-23-2011 06:47 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks for the update I did find a original kit that Steve sold and the guy also had a used EAM tail section and a pair of wings. What I did find out in researching this kit is the vertical and horizontal stabs size needs to be increased. I found the thread to modify the kit it's easy but going with the EAM tail is even easier. As for the EDF unit I was thinking the same thing a Stumax 80mm would work great in this kit.

Doug

ORIGINAL: speed is life

Hi guys,
Thanks for keeping the interest in the Steve Neil Ta-183.
It has been a real trial trying to find someone with the skills AND the interest to mould a few kits. Currently working on another source for glasswork and it now actually looks promising for getting a few of these done.
IF they really happen they will be just as Steve supplied them........a builders kit.......period.
Glass fuse and vertical tail, wing cores (unsheeted), wood bulkheads and horizontal tail. Ought to be perfect for the new 80mm fans.

More info as soon as I know it.

Cheers,
Mike Warren

Bill G 12-26-2011 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice to see one of these older kits being built. They pretty much fell off the face of the earth, when all the ARF jets started coming out.

ORIGINAL: BadLemon

Hi Mike

Thanks for the update I did find a original kit that Steve sold and the guy also had a used EAM tail section and a pair of wings. What I did find out in researching this kit is the vertical and horizontal stabs size needs to be increased. I found the thread to modify the kit it's easy but going with the EAM tail is even easier. As for the EDF unit I was thinking the same thing a Stumax 80mm would work great in this kit.
Is the mod a stability issue, or just for more control?
I was a bit concerned with a similar design, with how small the scale stab was, but the plane flies well, as I believe the swept design can get away with a smaller stab for stability. You definitely don't want to get into much of a dive with it though, unless you have a LOT of room to pull out. A bit lacking in that department. I also built one of the glass kits from back in the EAM days, when the Steve Neill kits were available. Fairly small stab on it also, but I've never gotten around to flying it, to find out what it flies like.

BadLemon 12-26-2011 04:21 PM

Fockewulf190

"Another Axis plane I like"

Yes the modification was to address a stability issue along with increasing the stabs wing fences and wing droops where added as well as a wing gyro. But EAM increased the wing length that increased the stability so the wing gyro was not needed. Here is 2 link below of the build and stability modification on RCgroups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202005

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344178

ORIGINAL: FockeWulf190

Nice to see one of these older kits being built. They pretty much fell off the face of the earth, when all the ARF jets started coming out.

ORIGINAL: BadLemon

Hi Mike

Is the mod a stability issue, or just for more control?
I was a bit concerned with a similar design, with how small the scale stab was, but the plane flies well, as I believe the swept design can get away with a smaller stab for stability. You definitely don't want to get into much of a dive with it though, unless you have a LOT of room to pull out. A bit lacking in that department. I also built one of the glass kits from back in the EAM days, when the Steve Neill kits were available. Fairly small stab on it also, but I've never gotten around to flying it, to find out what it flies like.

juanjulian 02-21-2012 04:07 PM

This post is not dead!

Started the sanding process since the other prject reached the same status.

LOTS OF SANDING TO DO.

reuben199 03-10-2012 10:28 PM

Hi,
How is this progressing?
I have recently brought a secondhand RBC TA183 that has not flown in 8 years. So far I have renewed all the electrics and hope to maiden it in the next few weeks.
-Reuben

juanjulian 03-12-2012 04:28 PM

Hy Reuben:

Please share your pictures for inspiration to finish this project.

Work, family, and priorities has slow this projecto to much.

Hope to finish this projecto this year.

Sanding and more sanding,

Cheers,

Juan

reuben199 03-12-2012 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Juan,
Here are a couple of photo's, it looks a bit rough but after I have test flown it I will give it a nice coat of paint.
-Reuben

juanjulian 03-14-2012 12:26 PM

Rueben:

The plane looks in great shape. If repainting go for bright colors have a het f-18 gray version with orange colors and is hard to see.
(havea build here)

What gear are you putting to the plane.?They recomend 500-700 watts

Can see a extra bay for each wing why?

Cheers,

Juan

reuben199 03-14-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Juan,
I found a colour scheme on the internet that I like, it has the upper surfaces painted in light and dark green camo and the underside in light blue.
The extra bays arethere because the previous owner had used servo extension leads and as I replaced all the servos I had to cut a small window in each wing so I could cut the joiners out. I like to solder my leads to extend them rather thanuse plugs.

I am using this motor, I will try it on 3s and then 4s if needed, the fan is a wemotec minifan.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19109

-Reuben

juanjulian 03-15-2012 07:08 PM

That motor looks fine for 4s due to kv.

Not sure how eficient but should work.

Take a look at the products that extreme rc au has in their web site. He offers het motors wich are good in quality and price.<br type="_moz" />

reuben199 03-15-2012 07:20 PM

HI Juan,
I had a hard time picking my motor and I think I will end up using 4s.
I have to hide my credit card everytime I look at extreme rc they have some nice products.
-Reuben

juanjulian 03-31-2012 06:17 PM

Ready for final sanding and primer.

Tried using light spakling to fill the weave but did not worked. Ended using Water based PU to fiil the weave and sanding.

Hopefully<span class="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">after priming the parts will only need one more sanding.</span><div>
Replaced the hobby wing 80 amp esc for a jetti heli 70 amp heli esc. This fits well inside the thrust tube.</div><div></div><div>Let see if can upload some pictures from new gadget ipad.</div>

reuben199 03-31-2012 08:48 PM

Hi Juan,
Are you placing the esc in the thrust tube?  I imagine it will be good for cooling but will it limit the air flow?
On my plans it says to put it above the thrust tube in the rear of the fuse.
I'm still waiting on my motor shaft to be machined but as soon as I have it back I will be ready to maiden mine.
-Reuben

juanjulian 04-01-2012 04:16 PM

&lt;a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/juanviviana/?action=view&amp;current=3674a77c.jpg" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img src="http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/juanviviana/3674a77c.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

<br type="_moz" />

juanjulian 04-01-2012 04:21 PM

Trying to upload pictures from ipad lets see if possible

&lt;a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/juanviviana/?action=view&amp;current=3674a77c.jpg" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img src="http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/juanviviana/3674a77c.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;<br type="_moz" />

juanjulian 04-01-2012 04:47 PM

At least there is a link to the pictures.

Not an expert in edf but think this is the best method to keep cool the esc, not sure if you will be able due that you will use a outrunner and probably have less space. Have a similar setup in het f-18 with no problelms.<br type="_moz" />

reuben199 04-01-2012 05:03 PM

Hi Juan,
Your esc will like the increased airflow, I also toyed with the idea of mounting my esc below the thrust tube with the heatsink clear of the fuse but I would need to increase the length of the esc to battery leads.
I have now decided to maiden mine on 4s as this will decrease the amp draw and lower the heat.
I have spent the last couple of days painting an ME109 and now I can't wait to paint the Ta183 :-)
-Reuben

juanjulian 04-12-2012 10:57 PM

Today the wings got glued to the fuselage

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...A8E06-orig.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...B8B6F-orig.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...282B8-orig.jpg<br type="_moz" />

reuben199 04-12-2012 11:26 PM

Hi Juan,
That looks really good!
-Reuben