RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3244192-aerocat-fast-pusher-%2A70-mph%2A.html)

Crash One 12-13-2006 06:55 PM

RE: AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH*

Empty, small, lightweight ink pen cases. Might even get the whistles to sound like a jet.;)

Galloping Ghost 12-13-2006 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash One

Empty, small, lightweight ink pen cases. Might even get the whistles to sound like a jet.;)
Great minds think alike! That was my first thought, but they need to be tapered at both ends to be scale. (at least that's what I'd like)

I could probably turn 3/8" or 1/2" balsa dowels and paint them. Also, I am looking for tapered inserts that could be inserted into a thin wall plastic tube.

Scott

Galloping Ghost 02-07-2007 08:55 PM

Greetings,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Model Aero will be heading over to the E-Fest in Champaign, Illinois this weekend. We'll have plenty of AeroCats and AeroSports, as well as motors, ESC's, etc.

I'll have at least 3 planes ready to fly for demos and test flights. Don't hesitate to stop by and request a test flight. That's why we are going! Anyway, it will be a great time and please stop by and say hello.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 02-08-2007 08:49 AM

I'll be there again this year. Don't forget to bring the most current issue of FlyRC with you. Nice too see they did a review of the AeroCat!

Galloping Ghost 02-08-2007 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoo_chicken1

I'll be there again this year. Don't forget to bring the most current issue of FlyRC with you. Nice too see they did a review of the AeroCat!
Make sure you stop by and introduce yourself!

The review of the AeroCat in Fly RC is really cool. I never imagined that sort of thing happening when I designed the plane. I just built it for fun, and one thing led to another! Wasn't planning on starting an airplane business 1 1/2 years ago, that's for sure.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

lavochkin 02-09-2007 05:18 PM

hey galloping ghost, ive purchased an aerocat and an aerosport. all i can say is nice job!! im going to build the cat for now with a jeti spin 33 amp controller on a thunder power "extreme" 3s,2070mah lipo with the little screamers park jet motor (outrunner) rated at 2800 kv, 185 watts,it can withstand 20 amps and draws 18.5 amps. the manufacturer recommends a prop range from 4x4 to 6x5.5. what will my speed be around the neighborhood of? with which prop would be best suited? im using. the 3 gram spektrum ar6100 receiver. any recommendations would be awesome!
thanks!!!

saucerguy 02-09-2007 09:09 PM

http://www.qnet.com/~skif/P078.jpg

similar huh?

Galloping Ghost 02-20-2007 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: lavochkin

hey galloping ghost, ive purchased an aerocat and an aerosport. all i can say is nice job!! im going to build the cat for now with a jeti spin 33 amp controller on a thunder power "extreme" 3s,2070mah lipo with the little screamers park jet motor (outrunner) rated at 2800 kv, 185 watts,it can withstand 20 amps and draws 18.5 amps. the manufacturer recommends a prop range from 4x4 to 6x5.5. what will my speed be around the neighborhood of? with which prop would be best suited? im using. the 3 gram spektrum ar6100 receiver. any recommendations would be awesome!
thanks!!!
Sorry I missed your post and your questions!!!

I'd run a 6/5.5 if I were you. Speed should be around 65-70 mph depending on battery. You could get by with a 1320 pack and be very light.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

cjshaker 02-24-2007 03:24 AM

I'd suggest staying with the 5x5 prop if you run the 'Hot Wind Single'. I had good success with that prop. I changed to the 6x4E prop,
and made a good flight with it. Let my RC instructor fly my airplane, and the motor gave up during his aerobatic flight. The motor will
spastically move, slowly, and gets hot.

What typically fails in brushless motors? Melted wire? Burnt insulation? The motor doesn't smell burnt.

Does anyone have any good contact information for reaching CustomCDR.com about service questions? The email address on their
web site, "[email protected]", doesn't seem to work, and I don't see a phone number yet.

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

cjshaker 02-24-2007 03:31 AM

I would find that model very exciting, especially if it was as easy to build as your Aerocat.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: Galloping Ghost

Greetings,

I have been looking for the next pusher jet to kit and here is a prototype of an Aero L-159B. It was maidened a couple weeks ago and flies great. I'm running an LS Parkjet on the prototype.

Specs:

Wingspan: 30"
Length: 35"
Motor: CustomCDR Single or LS Parkjet or EDF
Prop: APC 6/5.5
AUW: 12.6 oz. w/1500 3 cell lipo

This has always been one of my all time favorite jets. I just love the lines. I'm on the fence on whether to produce this one. So I'd really appreciate some feedback.

My intention was to mount an EDF in the middle of the wing/fuse, but I wanted to try the airframe with a pusher first to see if it flew OK. Even with a light motor on the tail, I still had to run a 1500 battery to achieve balance. This turned out OK because it flies really nice. It is solid as a rock.

It's a pretty big commitment to produce a kit like this with printed graphics, etc. I'd sure feel better if I got some positive feedback on it! So please take a look at the pics and post your thoughts. Keep in mind the production graphics would be much better than the quick spray paint job on the proto.

Also, please note that Model Aero has Free Shipping through the end of the year.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 02-25-2007 06:27 PM

Hey Chris,

Ryan can be a little slow responding. Keep trying. He has always backed up his products.

I have run the 6/5.5 on the hot single for a couple years. I had one fail for unknown reasons. But mine never get very hot with the 6/5.5. I never run them static for more than a few seconds, and I try to fly a cool down lap before landing. Remember, these are high performance motors, and we are pushing them hard!

I'm not sure if I'll produce the L-159 or not. The jury is still out on that one!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

cjshaker 02-25-2007 06:43 PM

Scott:

I'm getting bounce messages back from his email address, and I'm not sure whether or not
his web mail works or not. I first started attempting to contact him months ago.

I don't see his phone number on the web site. Can you contact me offline with better contact
information?

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: Galloping Ghost

Hey Chris,

Ryan can be a little slow responding. Keep trying. He has always backed up his products.

I have run the 6/5.5 on the hot single for a couple years. I had one fail for unknown reasons. But mine never get very hot with the 6/5.5. I never run them static for more than a few seconds, and I try to fly a cool down lap before landing. Remember, these are high performance motors, and we are pushing them hard!

I'm not sure if I'll produce the L-159 or not. The jury is still out on that one!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

pylonboy 03-04-2007 07:57 PM

I have used the 6x5.5 on my Medusa 28-32-1900 Aerocat with great success!!

It will come down to a slow crawl with high incidence, and then go vertical out of sight very quickly!!

Galloping Ghost 03-08-2007 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: pylonboy

I have used the 6x5.5 on my Medusa 28-32-1900 Aerocat with great success!!

It will come down to a slow crawl with high incidence, and then go vertical out of sight very quickly!!
Thanks for the flight report! I don't know much about the Medusa motors, but the 6/5.5 prop is where you want to be with the AeroCat.

In general, the hottest motor you can run with the 6/5.5 will be a great choice for the AeroCat or AeroSport.

I'll do a little research on the Medusa and learn about it.

Regards,

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 03-25-2007 01:30 PM

Medusa has 1900kv so it should be good..

ckoerner 03-28-2007 02:47 PM

I am putting one together now. You think the Spectrum AR6100 receiver would be enough range for these?

Galloping Ghost 03-28-2007 08:48 PM

I would say you are on the bubble. I recommend full range receivers, but the Spektrum AR6100 specs say it is good to the visible range of ParkFlyers.

I don't really consider the AeroCat to be a Parkflyer. So use your own judgement. I know the AeroCat can be vertical and out of site in 10 seconds or so. That is not typical of your normal ParkFyler!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

ORIGINAL: ckoerner

I am putting one together now. You think the Spectrum AR6100 receiver would be enough range for these?

ckoerner 04-03-2007 08:28 AM

Just finished mine. Came in at 9.4oz with battery. I will post pics tonight. I bought one at E-Fest. I ended up cutting my own out so I could paint my own scheme. I have the LS Park Jet on it. Can't wait to fly it.

ckoerner 04-03-2007 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picts.

Galloping Ghost 04-05-2007 05:19 PM

Nice scheme there ckoerner! That thing should have great visibility. Be sure to give us a flight report!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 04-05-2007 06:01 PM

GG, nice to catch you on here. I got a LS ParkJet 2800Kv today. It is NIP but has the "o"ring screws on the nose. Do you still use an adapter with that or will the "o" ring hold the prop on? This is my first time seeing one of these motors. I guess the APC 6x5.5 prop and TP1320 pack are in order on the light Cat?

Galloping Ghost 04-05-2007 08:22 PM

Hey crash,

I do not like to use the prop saver on the PJ. Too high RPM for that IMHO. Now, I leave the prop saver screws and just use a 3mm collet adapter. The screws don't hurt a thing, and I have found them hard to remove. Plus, they seem to include only two set screws, when there should be three. Two to replece the prop saver screws, and one for the motor mount. So just leave the prop saver screws.

You got the set-up just right; 1320 pack and an APC 6/5.5E. The battery quality will determine the performance. You can get it right around 10 oz. and that is fun!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

GG, nice to catch you on here. I got a LS ParkJet 2800Kv today. It is NIP but has the "o"ring screws on the nose. Do you still use an adapter with that or will the "o" ring hold the prop on? This is my first time seeing one of these motors. I guess the APC 6x5.5 prop and TP1320 pack are in order on the light Cat?

Galloping Ghost 04-05-2007 08:34 PM

I just wanted to add that we are now carrying the LittleScreamers motors, LS stick mounts, the Lynx EDF Jet, Thunderbird EDF Jet, EDF Power packages, a bunch of motors and ESC's, Extreme Flight planes, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

When I started this thread, the AeroCat was the only product we had!

We certainly thank the great people here on RCU for helping us grow!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 04-05-2007 08:48 PM

I've noticed it takes me longer to look at everything each time I visit your website! Congratulations! That shows what a great product line-up and great customer service can do for folks in this hobby. Will you make it to SEFF this year?

Galloping Ghost 04-05-2007 09:50 PM

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head as far as customer service goes! That's certainly what I am trying to build the business around. Just slowly add quality products and hope that customers respond to it. There are some really great dealers and distributors in the hobby, and hopefully some day Model Aero can be considered one of them.

I would love to do SEFF but it isn't happening this year. We are doing the Toledo Show next weekend, which is the big one in our neck of the woods, and getting away the week after just won't work.

I'm working on a couple new things and hopefully in the next couple months will have something to report.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

I've noticed it takes me longer to look at everything each time I visit your website! Congratulations! That shows what a great product line-up and great customer service can do for folks in this hobby. Will you make it to SEFF this year?