RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3244192-aerocat-fast-pusher-%2A70-mph%2A.html)

Galloping Ghost 04-20-2006 09:45 PM

RE: AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH*

ORIGINAL: rubyc5

The only problem i have with the aerocat is, unless you land it in tall grass or you slow it down to a crawl or stall speed with a good headwind for landing you are going to rip the motor mount out of the plane.If the prop should stop horizontally you are ok, but a vertical prop means trouble. I dont care how proficient you are at flying, i have 22 years under my belt and the fields i have to fly at have cropped grass, real short.I like the way the plane flies with the Axi 2208 and a 7x5 apc prop.I beleive there should be some kind of fin under the fuse or a shroud to prevent a prop strike.You cant always land perfectly or where you want and when that is the case you will rip the mount and motor out of the plane, period..
I respect your concerns on the prop vulnerability, but in reality, it just doesn't happen very often. I have flown literally hundreds of flights with the AeroCat, with a bunch of different motors/props, and I think on maybe two or three landings the motor mount came loose. And I fly on short grass.

Besides, what is the difference between this and landing a front engine plane without landing gear? I have torn up many, many more motors and props on puller planes than on this pusher. If anything, the motor and prop on this plane are far more protected than on any front engine/non landing gear plane. I have never broken a prop on the AeroCat and never used a prop saver. I wish I could say that about my 3D foamies!

One thing to check is to be sure your brake is off on the ESC. This will help on pullers and pushers.

Regards,

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 04-20-2006 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Spid

Hi Scott,

Got to maiden my Aerocat this past weekend. Man, did it fly nice and looked great in the air! Good power, nice vertical performance, rolls look great too! I'd say it's not 60+mph with the 300DF and a 5x5 prop, but probably scoots around 50ish or so. I'll try to get a radar gun reading and the AUW on it.

Thanks for making a great plane Scott!

Take Care,
Kevin [8D]
Hey Kevin,

Glad your AeroCat is flying well!

What battery are you using? That will make a huge difference in speed, even if your current battery is rated beyond your amp draw. I will certainly hear disagreements on this, but I have found even with your 10-12 amp motor, you will see a performance gain with a top notch battery. All my top speed runs have been made with a TP 2100 Pro Lite, regardless of motor. The key to top speed is keeping the volts as high as possible under load. And I have no connection with Thunder Power. That's simply a fact.

Also, if you promise to be careful, put the 6/5.5 on it. You will see a dramatic gain in performance, but you must be very, very careful not to overheat the motor. Fly a couple of cool down laps at low throttle before landing. With the 6/5.5 and a good battery, you should see 60 mph or perhaps more.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Spid 04-21-2006 06:19 AM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments. The two batteries I've used on it are both 12C cont/ 20C burst Dualsky Lipos. I used an 11.1v 1700 and a 11.1v 2250. I've found Dualsky's to be comparible to TP in performance, but I'll have to look at the battery graphs again on RCGroups.

Regardless, it's a great plane! I'm having a blast flying it!

Thanks,
Kevin [8D]

Galloping Ghost 04-21-2006 05:04 PM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments. The two batteries I've used on it are both 12C cont/ 20C burst Dualsky Lipos. I used an 11.1v 1700 and a 11.1v 2250. I've found Dualsky's to be comparible to TP in performance, but I'll have to look at the battery graphs again on RCGroups.

Regardless, it's a great plane! I'm having a blast flying it!

Thanks,
Kevin [8D]
Kevin,

I have been wanting to try the 20C Dualsky lipo. In fact, I am thinking of carrying them on my site if they perform well. What size 20C are you using? I would like to try the 1800 3 cell.

I'm glad you are enjoying the plane. I still get a rush when I fly it. I have a new bird coming in a month or so. It's called the AeroSport (based on the Eurofighter) and it flies great. Very cool high Alpha, plus it's fast. We clocked it on radar at 74 mph last weekend.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

GUAIO 04-21-2006 05:50 PM

anyone,using a Multiplex 6T direct drive motor??? maybe too much for it??

tks

Galloping Ghost 04-21-2006 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: GUAIO

anyone,using a Multiplex 6T direct drive motor??? maybe too much for it??

tks
Hi,

I checked the specs on the Multiplex 6T, and it's really too heavy at 117 grams. The heaviest motor I recommend is the Warp 4/Mega 16/15/4 @ 78 grams.

Would it fly the AeroCat? Yes, but there would be no gain in performance, as the airframe is limited to about 72 mph.

Regards,

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Spid 04-22-2006 09:07 AM

Hi Scott,

The one's I have are their XPower Series (12C Cont. / 20C Burst) the specs are below:

3S1P 1700Mah - Weight 4.23oz (120g) Dim - 3.34 x 1.34 x 0.77in (85 x 34 x 19.5mm)
3S1P 2250Mah - Weight 5.64oz (160g) Dim - 4.05 x 1.34 x 0.87in (103 x 34 x 22mm)

Hope this helps!
Kevin [8D]

Galloping Ghost 04-22-2006 05:09 PM

Hi Scott,

The one's I have are their XPower Series (12C Cont. / 20C Burst) the specs are below:

3S1P 1700Mah - Weight 4.23oz (120g) Dim - 3.34 x 1.34 x 0.77in (85 x 34 x 19.5mm)
3S1P 2250Mah - Weight 5.64oz (160g) Dim - 4.05 x 1.34 x 0.87in (103 x 34 x 22mm)

Hope this helps!
Kevin [8D]

I think I'm going to try the 20C 1500 or 1800.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

GUAIO 04-28-2006 05:11 PM

Hi

this maybe a stupid question,but do I need to mount the prop backwards???

rubyc5 04-29-2006 04:25 PM

leave the prop the way you have it, just turn the plane around!!!lol yes, turn prop, numbers facing the nose

Galloping Ghost 05-18-2006 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that our popular combos are back in stock, with some exciting additions.

In addition to the fine JustGoFly 300DF and 400DF motors, Model Aero is happy to be offering CustomCDR motors. We have single and double stator "Hot Winds" in stock now that are specially wound for high speed planes such as our AeroCat, and very soon the AeroSport.

The CustomCDR motors are great looking motors that perform very well.

Best of all, the combo prices have dropped $5 if you go with the JGF 300DF or CustomCDR single. Combo with AeroCat, 25 amp ESC, and your choice of motor is $144.95 with free shipping in the US!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Spid 05-30-2006 08:23 AM

Hi Scott!

Just wanted to let you know I upgraded my AeroCat from the 300DF to the JustGoFly 450FT direct drive motor with an APC 6x4E prop. All I can say is "Wow!" Using either one of my 3S1P Dualsky lipo's (1700 and 2250 Mah) I'm getting unlimited vertical and great speed while still handling nice and smooth at slower speeds. It looks absoultely awesome coming in nice a slow and then punching it for a straight up fast vertical climb out throwing in some rolls as its just keeps going and going up! This is a great motor/prop combo for this bird (imho).

I'm having an absolute blast with it!! Here's the link to their website with motor specs, etc... http://www.justgofly.com/tech_450FT.htm

Thanks again for making a great flying plane. [8D]

Kevin

Galloping Ghost 05-30-2006 08:58 PM

Hi Scott!

Just wanted to let you know I upgraded my AeroCat from the 300DF to the JustGoFly 450FT direct drive motor with an APC 6x4E prop. All I can say is "Wow!" Using either one of my 3S1P Dualsky lipo's (1700 and 2250 Mah) I'm getting unlimited vertical and great speed while still handling nice and smooth at slower speeds. It looks absoultely awesome coming in nice a slow and then punching it for a straight up fast vertical climb out throwing in some rolls as its just keeps going and going up! This is a great motor/prop combo for this bird (imho).

I'm having an absolute blast with it!! Here's the link to their website with motor specs, etc... http://www.justgofly.com/tech_450FT.htm

Thanks again for making a great flying plane. [8D]

Kevin
Hey Kevin,

That sounds like a great combination you have there. I've tried the 450TH, but not the FT. The FT looks well suited to the AeroCat. The TH is a little too "hot".

I'm glad you are enjoying the AeroCat. Thanks for the report.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 06-18-2006 10:12 AM

I finally decided to get one of these bad boys. I did see it at the Champaign E-Fest a while back and remembered being very impressed. Can anyone post pics of how both inrunners and outrunners are mounted? The more angles the better, please.

I'm not 100% sure which motor I'm going to use: either the 400DF or Ultrafly D/13/32 (42g) outrunners or the Medusa Research MR-020-032-3400 (70g) inrunner. I've made the decision to give xus hobby's 1300mah, 20C (26A) continuous, 111g lipo a try.

Thanks!

http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=142
http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/028.htm

Galloping Ghost 06-18-2006 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: voodoo_chicken1

I finally decided to get one of these bad boys. I did see it at the Champaign E-Fest a while back and remembered being very impressed. Can anyone post pics of how both inrunners and outrunners are mounted? The more angles the better, please.

I'm not 100% sure which motor I'm going to use: either the 400DF or Ultrafly D/13/32 (42g) outrunners or the Medusa Research MR-020-032-3400 (70g) inrunner. I've made the decision to give xus hobby's 1300mah, 20C (26A) continuous, 111g lipo a try.

Thanks!

http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=142
http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/028.htm
Glad to have you on board! Here are a couple pics of the motor mount. Note in the pic of the outrunner, I chose to leave the mounting rails in case I want to mount an inrunner at a later time.

Also, check out this review for more info:

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=5035]AeroCat review[/link]

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 06-21-2006 09:15 PM

What a great kit! Can't wait to get this in the air!

Spid 06-22-2006 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: voodoo_chicken1

What a great kit! Can't wait to get this in the air!
You will not be disappointed. It's my favorite plane!

Galloping Ghost 06-24-2006 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

If you like the AeroCat (and most of you do!), you may like this one even better. We're calling this the AeroSport, and I should pick the first production run up next week.

It has a larger wing area, so it will slow down even more than the AeroCat, yet it's slippery enough to go very fast. We have clocked it at 74 mph with the CustomCDR Hot Wind Double.

It'll do awesome high Alpha slow flight, and it really looks good doing it! Inverted flight is nearly neutral.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Mr.Burns 06-24-2006 09:00 PM

Special discount for repeat customers...???? :D:D:D:D

Galloping Ghost 06-24-2006 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr.Burns

Special discount for repeat customers...???? :D:D:D:D
I'll see what I can do!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Spid 06-27-2006 03:35 PM

Yummy! :) Can't wait to get one! Have you tested it with any other motors yet?

Thx - Kevin

Galloping Ghost 06-28-2006 03:35 PM

Yummy! :) Can't wait to get one! Have you tested it with any other motors yet?

Thx - Kevin
I've tested the AeroSport with the JustGoFly 400DF, the LS Parkjet, and the single and double CustomCDR. They all perform great.

Basically all the same motors that work well in the AeroCat will work well in the AeroSport.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-08-2006 12:11 AM

oh man this bird looks nice!
I'd like to get one I think... What would be a great setup ( I want to stay on budget)... I saw the combo up there and it seemed to be cool. I'm planning to go with:

JustGoFly 450DF direct drive motor

6 x 4 prop

velocity 25 amp ESC (comes with the combo)

and a thunder power 2100 mah 3 cell (?) would a 9 cell nimh work?

and it needs a 3 ch. radio with mixing right?

Any suggestions on my setup?

Thanks...
Paul

SS2P 07-08-2006 12:22 AM

NVM,

I have a new setup:

JustGoFly 450DF direct drive motor

velocity 25 amp ESC (comes with the combo)

Thunder power 1320 3 cell (would it work?) or THP 2100 cell or 9 cell NimH, any suggestions here?

and a 4 ch. radio ..

How fast will this setup be?

Paul

BTW, This is my first pylon racer so yea... I have flown 3d planes before

voodoo_chicken1 07-08-2006 08:29 AM

I just got done building my bird. I'll take it out as soon as I'm done typing this. Weight came to 13 oz. My setup includes:

JustGoFly 400DF
5x5 prop
E-Flite 40 amp ESC
E-flite S75 Servos (3)
GWS Naro 6 ch. Rx
3 cell Hyperion 1500mah 20C lipo
I made my own control rods with CF tubes, CA,heat shrink and the music wire as provided in the kit

It looks pretty darn sturdy. I used the CF rods on the leading edge to avoid flutter as mentioned in the adendum.

I'd upload images but I'm getting an error.

I'm outta here................