RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3244192-aerocat-fast-pusher-%2A70-mph%2A.html)

SS2P 07-08-2006 07:42 PM

RE: AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH*

Hi again....

I 've been waiting for opinions for the last hours and I can't wait until I choose the right gear. I'm planning to go on this setup:

JustGoFly 400DF

5x5 prop

velocity 25 amp ESC

Thunder power 1320 3 cell (gives 27 amps in surge)

Hitec HFS-04MG (receiver

HS-55 servos ( would these give out enough punch?)

Can somebody share their opinion here? I really don't have a good view about electric stuff.. Is the battery too small? is the prop right? How is that ESC/motor combo?

Thanks alot... Waiting for opinion s;)

Paul :eek:

Galloping Ghost 07-08-2006 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoo_chicken1

I just got done building my bird. I'll take it out as soon as I'm done typing this. Weight came to 13 oz. My setup includes:

JustGoFly 400DF
5x5 prop
E-Flite 40 amp ESC
E-flite S75 Servos (3)
GWS Naro 6 ch. Rx
3 cell Hyperion 1500mah 20C lipo
I made my own control rods with CF tubes, CA,heat shrink and the music wire as provided in the kit

It looks pretty darn sturdy. I used the CF rods on the leading edge to avoid flutter as mentioned in the adendum.

I'd upload images but I'm getting an error.

I'm outta here................
I think you'll like that setup! You have tons of power and are still pretty light. Maybe try a 6/4 prop, but be careful not to overheat the motor. My experience is that the 400DF can handle it, but JGF says I shouldn't recommend it! But then I am running a 6/5.5 on it. I really can't officially recommend that prop, but boy does it go like stink!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 07-08-2006 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SS2P

Hi again....

I 've been waiting for opinions for the last hours and I can't wait until I choose the right gear. I'm planning to go on this setup:

JustGoFly 400DF

5x5 prop

velocity 25 amp ESC

Thunder power 1320 3 cell (gives 27 amps in surge)

Hitec HFS-04MG (receiver

HS-55 servos ( would these give out enough punch?)

Can somebody share their opinion here? I really don't have a good view about electric stuff.. Is the battery too small? is the prop right? How is that ESC/motor combo?

Thanks alot... Waiting for opinion s;)

Paul :eek:
Hi Paul,

Everything sounds good, but the battery will be the weak link. I'd like to see a 1500 20C (minimum) with your package. The 1320 will fly it, but you need to be careful that you don't cook the battery. You'd be happier with a stronger battery.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-08-2006 10:36 PM

Ok... [&o]
What about the other motor choices that come with the combo... I'm haven't flown many fast planes before anyway :D
CustomCDR Hot Wind single/double (whats the difference btw), would that work with 1320 ?

I appreciate your help :P :)

Paul

SS2P 07-09-2006 04:20 PM

Hey,

I've made my decision to get this plane. Now I'm still stuck with the stuff I have to buy. This is what I'm planning to order:

* AeroCat- ARF
*Velocity 25 amp ESC
*Custom CDR Hot Wind Single ( this motor will work with 1320 pack, since it draws only 15 amps of continious current)
* HS-55 servos
*Zap-O (oddorless CA)+ its foam safe
*6 inch servo extensions ( do I need these? I'm planning to get 3 of these?
*Thunder Power 1320 pack
*Deans Ultra plugs
*Hitec HFS-04MG receiver
I'm planning to get the combo from "model Aero" website (ESC,MTR,ARF)
All the ther equipment comes from Tower Hobbies... I don't have a LHS near by (Santa Barbara, CA), so I need to order everything online.
I have a a couple of questions to ask:

-Are HS-55 servos suitable for the plane and do I need servo extensions? If yes, which ones do you recommend?
-What glue works? Is Zap-O (oddorless CA)+ that I planned to use OK?
-Have I chosen right electronics? ( is my motor, batt and esc combo ok?)
-How fast will the plane with this setup be?
-Have I missed something important??

I know there are many questions, but I want to make sure that I have everything included and can order everything at once.

Thanks, [8D]

Paul

SS2P 07-09-2006 04:23 PM

Gees, I still mist one! I also want to know what prop will work well with the motor I mentioned in my last post? I'm planning to try 5 x 5 and 6 x 4 on my setup.

Paul

Galloping Ghost 07-09-2006 05:00 PM

Hey,

I've made my decision to get this plane. Now I'm still stuck with the stuff I have to buy. This is what I'm planning to order:

* AeroCat- ARF
*Velocity 25 amp ESC
*Custom CDR Hot Wind Single ( this motor will work with 1320 pack, since it draws only 15 amps of continious current)
* HS-55 servos
*Zap-O (oddorless CA)+ its foam safe
*6 inch servo extensions ( do I need these? I'm planning to get 3 of these?
*Thunder Power 1320 pack
*Deans Ultra plugs
*Hitec HFS-04MG receiver
I'm planning to get the combo from "model Aero" website (ESC,MTR,ARF)
All the ther equipment comes from Tower Hobbies... I don't have a LHS near by (Santa Barbara, CA), so I need to order everything online.
I have a a couple of questions to ask:

-Are HS-55 servos suitable for the plane and do I need servo extensions? If yes, which ones do you recommend?
-What glue works? Is Zap-O (oddorless CA)+ that I planned to use OK?
-Have I chosen right electronics? ( is my motor, batt and esc combo ok?)
-How fast will the plane with this setup be?
-Have I missed something important??

I know there are many questions, but I want to make sure that I have everything included and can order everything at once.

Thanks, [8D]

Paul
Paul,

You will be very happy with that setup with your 1320 pack. You'll have a nice, light plane that will still do around 60 mph or more with a strong battery. That is the current setup on my demo AeroCat. Totally insane vertical!

You won't need servo extensions. The leads will reach. You will need one "Y" for the ailerons unless you are mixing.

HS-55's are fine, but I do offer a servo on my website that has far more torque at the same weight. They are $14.95 and have 21 oz. in. of torque where the 55's have 15 oz. in.

Any orderless CA is fine and get some kicker also.

I have prop adapters and props in stock, but they are not on the site yet.

Regards,

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 07-09-2006 05:04 PM

Gees, I still mist one! I also want to know what prop will work well with the motor I mentioned in my last post? I'm planning to try 5 x 5 and 6 x 4 on my setup.

Paul
Paul,

Go with the 6/4 and a 3 mm prop adapter. I stock these , but they aren't on my site. Let me know when you want to order and we can figure a way to include them on your order.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-09-2006 07:41 PM

Hey,

Ok everything seems to be fine. I think I'm gonna order the combo (esc,motor,arf) w/ servos that you were talking about. I will also get a prop, adapter, Hitec receiver etc... from tower hobbies.

Thanks for the great advice ...

BTW. if I'm using a "Y" then I think a 3 chn. radio would work with a 3ch. rx. right?

Paul

Galloping Ghost 07-09-2006 07:54 PM

Hey,

Ok everything seems to be fine. I think I'm gonna order the combo (esc,motor,arf) w/ servos that you were talking about. I will also get a prop, adapter, Hitec receiver etc... from tower hobbies.

Thanks for the great advice ...

BTW. if I'm using a "Y" then I think a 3 chn. radio would work with a 3ch. rx. right?

Paul
Paul,

You are correct, a 3 channel radio will work with a "Y" for the ailerons.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-10-2006 09:41 AM

I'm just making my last "talks" to my parents. I'm only 13 and it's hard to get money.. I just flew my GP reflection 3d and I made a couple of hovers, one hover was so low that the rudder touched the ground :D I really aven't flown any fast planes and I'm a little nervous, I hope I'll make it. I'm really excited because this plane seems to be a great performer. Are the pushrods, clevises etc... included? How do you have to throw it? I know that for PZ stryker, you have to throw it in the air (motor off) and add throttle before it's falling down. I don't want to cut my fingers with the prop....

Sorry for the bad english, I haven't been in US for long, a couple of months.

Paul

SS2P 07-11-2006 07:40 PM

So a 3mm prop adapter... Do I need a mount for the motor?
Will the plug on aeromodel servos work with the hitec rx? Are you sure that 6 x 4 prop won't burn the motor?
where to get velcro btw? I will need some to attach the battery. Also, how did you mount the servos? Double tape?

I'm almost ready to order! Can't wait to see the plane :D

Thanks

Paul

SS2P 07-11-2006 07:48 PM

1 more thing, what "Y" would you recommend for modelaero servos? I have a hitec receiver. (keep that in mind... )

I'm planning to use this "Y" :

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWB69&P=7

SS2P 07-11-2006 07:57 PM

Oh yea and for prop and adapter, I wanna use :

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZK90&P=7

That was prop.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVY80&P=ML

Adapter, that I was planning to use.

lol, sorry about all these posts in a row.

Paul

Galloping Ghost 07-12-2006 06:23 PM

I'm just making my last "talks" to my parents. I'm only 13 and it's hard to get money.. I just flew my GP reflection 3d and I made a couple of hovers, one hover was so low that the rudder touched the ground :D I really aven't flown any fast planes and I'm a little nervous, I hope I'll make it. I'm really excited because this plane seems to be a great performer. Are the pushrods, clevises etc... included? How do you have to throw it? I know that for PZ stryker, you have to throw it in the air (motor off) and add throttle before it's falling down. I don't want to cut my fingers with the prop....

Sorry for the bad english, I haven't been in US for long, a couple of months.

Paul
I know all about those parent "talks". I have them with my kids every day!

As far as your english, it is just fine. In fact it is better than alot of what I read on the forums!

The pushrods are included, and you can just use Z bends to hook them up. The control horns and motor mount are included.

If you plan on ordering a combo and servos, I will include a prop adapter and a couple props for free. Tell your parents and maybe that will help!

For launching, I use a Frisbee toss. Grab the right front wing with your right hand, throttle up about half, and toss it like a Frisbee pointing slightly up. Works like a charm.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Galloping Ghost 07-12-2006 06:26 PM

Paul,

All of the gear you picked out will work great. Like I said, I will throw in the prop adapter and props if you get the combo.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-12-2006 09:16 PM

I ordered!
Can't wait to try it out! How much time does the shipping take? :D
I ordered this from aeromodel:

COMBO

3 servos

Jeti program card.

And this from towerhobbies.

Velcro

6 x 4 prop (just in case)

3mm adapter

Hitec Y harness

and glue. ( I bought some, just in case my old one will not be enough)

Paul

Galloping Ghost 07-13-2006 06:59 AM

Paul,

Do you need the prop adapter and prop? Sounds like you already ordered them from Tower.

Your order will ship today and be there in 3-4 days.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-13-2006 12:43 PM

Yeah, the adapter was actually ment from my trainer. I'm putting a trainer together right now, it's for my dad :D I want him to learn r/c. and the prop was cheap anyways... just in case its gonna break.
Thanks for the adapter and prop Scott.
Do I need those 90 degree z bend pliers? I have many tools at home.

Paul

Crash One 07-14-2006 06:44 PM

GG, you didn't forget to post Feedback for our dual AeroCat eBay transaction, did you? I hope to start on them this weekend. After watching the video with wheels, I'm seriously thinking modded retracts for takeoff and then up for belly landings. Does anyone make any light enough?

Galloping Ghost 07-15-2006 09:12 AM

Feedback done!

Here's a link to two brands of micro retracts. Either one should be light enough.

[link]http://www.hobbyhorse.com/retract.shtml[/link]

I have a modified, very light AeroCat that I thought I might try retracts on for indoor flight.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

SS2P 07-15-2006 12:40 PM

Hey scott,

Do you know what was the setup for "original" flight video of aerocat? ( modelaero.com)

Thanks,

Paul

Crash One 07-15-2006 01:33 PM

Scott, Thanks for the link. I knew you'd have the answer. Keep building the great products.

flyingace451 07-15-2006 01:36 PM

I know that for PZ stryker, you have to throw it in the air (motor off) and add throttle before it's falling down
You don't have to do that with the Stryker at all! I give it full power and throw it. I've been flying a Stryker since December and as long as you follow through with your throwing arm you're fine.

Hm...I plan on wringing this bird out. I was thinking about going with the Hobby Lobby V Diamond and getting that sucker up to 120+ mph...but that's a little out of my budget as I plan on buying a better radio that will last me a long time soon. (Optic 6 for those curious)

I'm thinking a Mega, but I want as much speed as possible from this bird. I'll be using a 20C 2100 mah lipo, and an Electron 6 or 05S reciever with HS-55s all around possibly.

Scott, you mentioned some servos on your site. How well do they stand up to some pretty crazy flying? I don't like stripped gears.:)

What are the specs for this plane? I plan on running it through moto calc and see what I get. What is the wing area and weight without the motor, esc, or lipo? And I assume this is a flat plate airfoil, or does it actually have an airfoil to it? I wonder if I can hit 80 with it[>:] I better stock up on carbon fiber rods and some extreme strapping tape.

flyingace451 07-15-2006 01:37 PM

Oh and the lipo will probably be a 4 cell.:D I hope this isn't too much over kill.[>:][X(]:D