RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   E-Flite Super Airliner (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/4083674-e-flite-super-airliner.html)

OldFart1 06-28-2006 02:44 PM

RE: E-Flite Super Airliner

Hey - if you're happy, I'm happy :)

In my case, I can look out my office window and do a direct comparison, wee bit more differences between a 747-400 and a 777 than the tail :eek:

jumbo 747 06-28-2006 03:24 PM

YES ,,SO THE 747 HAS A BIT MORE LAYED BACK PITCH AND 777 IS MORE UP RIGHT,,TO MINE WILL BE A 4 MOTOR AND NOT 2 SO SHOULD BE KINDA FUNNY LOOKIN THO DIFFRENT THAT THAN THE STOCK 2 MOTOR SET UP//:D I WORKED AT LAX 95-96 DOING ELECTRICAL WORK WAS ON THE TARMATT ALL THE TIME RIGHT UNDER THE HUGE JUMBO 747 AND IT IS HUGE! WHEN YOUR WIRIGHT UNDER IT...

OldFart1 06-28-2006 03:30 PM

Yes, and the wingspan to overall length is completely different, the nose shape is different, the wing root is different, the landing gear are different, the motor diameter is different..........................[>:]

LAX 95-96?

Working for us (LAWA) or Barnett, Morrow Meadows, Comet?

But you're right - they're not small :)

jumbo 747 06-28-2006 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
YES I WORK FOR THE I.B.E.W. AND WE WORKED FOR UNITED AIRLINES I WORK FOR A LOT OF I.B.E.W. CO. SO MIGHT HAVE BEEN M&M.. ELECTRICAL HERE IS MY [img]BOEING ELECTRIC 4 FANS JUMBO 747

jumbo 747 06-28-2006 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WELL ITS UNDER WAY MY VERSION OF A BOEING 747 I'VE ADD THE HUMP THO IAM AM POSTIN PHOTOS ITS FAR FROM DONE PIC OF THE BUILD 4 FANS 4 BRUSHLESS MOTOR 4 -20 AMP ESC.. 8300MAH IN BATTERYS 11.1V NICE[:-];):D[X(] FOR ME THIS IS JUST JUST TINKING AROUND BUT WILL HAVE IT DONE SOON 3800KV MOTORS OUTRUNNERS NOT STOCK E-FLITE[ STILL IN ITS VERY ROUGH BUILD

carlrich 06-28-2006 08:39 PM

I like the modification.
Will it get off the ground when you're done? Sounding heavy.
Would look cool taxiing around. Just kidding.

Looking forward to hearing about the replacement 3800Kv motors. Whose are they?

Carl

jumbo 747 06-28-2006 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi, heavy foam when.[:@]:D the hump i made of foam and balsa with a light covering. well its power will cover any extra weight so yes will be fine........... xetra windows and doors in photo are just for a idea so much more sanding to be done,, ... motors will be in soon thanks.;)

Sportflyr 06-28-2006 11:17 PM

Flyfalcons,

That's pretty cool that you lived here for a while...

Yeah, It's become quite active as far as the RC airplane community is concerned ...a club and
a HUUUUGE expanse of an outlaw field containing long roads in it's grid. It's a development gone sour
and all that remains are the roads, it's better than the club as it attracts turbine traffic due to
the improved runways. It's out in west Palm Bay, FL and it's called "The Compound".

There's free-flight, u-control, rocketry, motorized paragliding as well as a practice area for
lots of full scale aerobats albeit, high in the air. It's really paradise and all RC is conducted in
one area, all the time.

Sportflyr 06-29-2006 11:00 AM

Jumbo,

Obviously it's not going to be an exact 747 nor do I believe you intended
to have an exact copy of a 747 so on that note, I really commend your vision here.
Looks like it's going to be a whole heck of handful at first but real fun after the kinks (if any)
have been worked out.

Did you say 4-Li-Po's and ESC's? Where will you be placing the other 2 batts?

Either way...NICE WORK and have fun!;)

jumbo 747 06-29-2006 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well iam stoked iits all good yes iam using 1 4200mah 11.1v and 2-- 2100mah 11,1v lipo and massive room for c.g seting so alls good and its not much haveyer than stock but i.ve add 2x power so alls good and will post more photos today thanks for the the LOOKS.......;) sanding and light fill to finish.. then pain water base... x-cab add on e-flite super airliner might look fuuny then might look kool just how you look at things[:-][:-][X(]:),, Billy

Ed Waldrep 06-30-2006 12:38 PM

My suggestion to get the shape right, scan in a 747 side view, use a program called Tileprint to scale it up (just the nose back to the wing, print it out, then glue that paper onto some cardboard and cut out the inside so that you can fit it around the nose and wherever it hits the foam, take off more material.

jumbo 747 06-30-2006 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the idea but iam done with the master piece its a work of art[...:)] well rember this is my way.. what i want to see ....... and snice iam no wheres near a pro builder........... i just have huge ideas so heres my super airliner by (e-flite) change to ( JUMBO 747 ) ... 4 brushless motors 4,, fans....... with hump on to of x-cab i added :D[:-][:-]:D:D:D[:-].........hope you like it ... i do........thanks , billy........HAVE FUN:D:):)[][:-][:-] i added wing lits ok! for sure when i show up at the air field and outher people have the new huge super airline by e-flitle mine will arrive as a freak.[:-][:-] i mean wow i realy like the way it came out and it will be kinda:Dfast to;)

jumbo 747 07-01-2006 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well the motors are ordered and will have next week also i add the airline name LUFTHANSA . just sound nice .. well i think i gave this a small KIT BASH!:D[:-] WING LIT'S

cwrr5 07-02-2006 08:23 PM

Very cool Jumbo!

I'm going to keep mine as a 777, but I'm adding retracts & lights, along with a different color scheme. I had a not so good engine out experience today, so I have some repairs to do anyway. Power shouldn't be a problem - it's got plenty to spare, as long as it stays fairly light. Pics in my gallery. [8D]

jumbo 747 07-03-2006 12:10 AM

what happend[X(][X(] you said power out well did you lose servos too hope not well i think mine will be kinda fast with the extra weight and POWER,,,ok well like i said hope your 777 will be ok,, tell me what broke,,thanks for the looks and i went and checked out your photos cool dirt runway mine is paved 600ft.

cwrr5 07-03-2006 04:48 AM

Nope. Servos and radio all fine, using BEC on both speed controls so the radio always has power. Just broke the fuselage and popped an engine nacelle loose, no biggie to repair. have some cracks in the wings too, but those are getting a major rebuild anyway to add retracts and lights, so the wing will get fixed in that process.

Just stupidity on my part. I wasn't flying with a timer, so I let the batteries get too low after about a 10-15 minute flight with multiple touch & gos. I had just done a full stop landing to make an adjustment and had the engine cut out on takeoff/climbout (approx 10-15 ft.). Not good, especially when you try to turn into the good engine, with sagging power. I lost one engine instead of both because I'm using two seperate batteries/speed controls/motors. I may have to re-think that a bit, especially when I add all this weight with the modifications for lights and retracts, along with new paint/covering.

I know better, really. I was just having too much fun.

dumb, dumb, dumb. [&o]

heli143 07-03-2006 10:52 AM

jumbo747
that 747 you built is going to look good in the air.
looking forward to some flight photos and video.

cwrr5: sorry to hear about your hard landing.
I haven't had a chance to build mine yet, too many projects, too little time:D

Sportflyr 07-03-2006 07:07 PM

cwrr5,

Really sorry about the mishap too, but it sounds like you
have it under control.[8D]

Thanks for the great pics!!!!:D Those ailerons aren't as outboard as I once thought.

I noticed in your gallery you said you were using a flaperon mix?
Is there any adverse yawing effect on slow approaches with flaperons?
Just wonderinhg if your having to compensate with any rudder either manually or through
a P-mix?

jumbo 747 07-05-2006 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heli143 .... Thanks for the looks [:-][:-] well as iam going along alls good weight is low and so retracks are going to be added also,,,,,,,,,,, as hobby-lobby has super lite ones that will work fine............ thanks for the input,,,:) Billy............................... update 7-5-06.........[:@][:@][:@][>:][X(][[:@][:-][:o][:o][>:][&:][:@][:@][:o][:-][:-][>:][>:][:o][:o]>:][X(][:-][:o][:-][:o] ok dumb me as always well being a old nubie at this is just rong ...i hate to rebuild things ... ..... at first alls good and into the job at hand ... but yea !!! but then i need this and i need that and i want those and gotta have that well when iam all done its a mess well i tryed to install retracks to my jumbo 747 rong[:@][:@][:@][:o][:-][:-] it would have worked if i have just a little pay-shunts!!lol.............[:o][:@] well it was a mess so i backed out and now i have a mees in the wings well iam doing fill and re=glue the wood for the gear,,,should be fine and then re paint so much for that!! just want to be done with this hassle as just the extar motors and esc is enough to make me not into it anymore......... well i need more learing about spending cash $$$ on item i dont even need....... well this cost me a hole day and 45,00$ so iam madd at me self for being as dumb as i look>>>>>>>>>[:-][8D] might try again in the future...

Spencer K 07-09-2006 01:14 AM

Hi guys,
im going to try to use retracts/ flaps in the airliner, so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which brand of retract i should use, and i am going to use the existing landing gear, and fix them to the retract mechanics. Also if anyone has any tips on installing these in a plane like this, im a newbie to small retracts. thanks

cwrr5 07-09-2006 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Sportflyr

I noticed in your gallery you said you were using a flaperon mix?
Is there any adverse yawing effect on slow approaches with flaperons?
Just wonderinhg if your having to compensate with any rudder either manually or through
a P-mix?

I haven't flown it enough yet to get all the trims & mixes fully worked out. The mishap happened on flight #4. [:'(]

I normally switch over to rudder on the landing approach, only using ailerons to keep the wings level or to set the plane into a crosswind. As long as both flaps (or flaperons) are down and move equal amounts, they shouldn't create any problems. That being said, I do have a bit more "down" in the right aileron on this one than the left, something I'll have to fix during the repair also.

Repairs going good so far, just wish I had more time. Fuselage is repaired and has been taken outside for the first sanding&filling before the fiberglass job. I started contruction of the nose wheel box, which contains the nose gear& retract, retract & steering servos, and all the linkages for the gear doors, along with the wiring and micro switch for the nose landing light. The box will be removeable for adjustments and repairs(if and when!) :D

cwrr5 07-09-2006 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: swatace23

Hi guys,
im going to try to use retracts/ flaps in the airliner, so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which brand of retract i should use, and i am going to use the existing landing gear, and fix them to the retract mechanics. Also if anyone has any tips on installing these in a plane like this, im a newbie to small retracts. thanks
I'm using a set of small robart mechanical retracts, looks as though they should work perfectly. These will just screw into new ply mounting plates int the wing, and nose gear will screw into a mounting plate in the nose gear box I'm building. I'm planning to use the stock struts and wheels, they look good. [sm=thumbup.gif]

jumbo 747 07-10-2006 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok those are the retracks that did'not work well for me i bot the same set ... and my front retrack i found mine would not lock up right after in-stall[:@][:@][:-][:-] so i am geting it replaced and as far as the rear retracks those robarts are i think weak..[X(] so for same price i bot the great planes and those are working well so i re-did my retracks and now have great planes retracks .10 size and the wire is fater.. photos rear retracks, tuch-up-paint-soon,,,[:-]:D:)

jumbo 747 07-12-2006 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well all 4 motors are here and will be installed this week i need 2 more esc that will be here this week also,,,,,,,,,,, brushless outrunners 4 -- 3800kv[img][

heli143 07-19-2006 07:00 AM

enjoying this thread. I have not had chance to purchase my electronics yet due to work, but I am looking forward to getting mine up and running in a few weeks.
Keep up the great work guys!