RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   F-16 fighting eagle from famous (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/7978181-f-16-fighting-eagle-famous.html)

koolaid535 10-13-2008 02:01 AM

RE: F-16 fighting eagle from famous

jimweda,

Banana hobby claims to sell the airframe, or rx and tx ready, I bought my "famous" f-16 from sn hobbies in canada,
give them a call, the number is on the web site. plus they offer no sales tax and no shipping charges.

Bigair 10-14-2008 10:16 PM

IS Famous and BlitzRcworks the same company which makes the F16 (70mm) ?
They Look identical !!!!

[X(]

koolaid535 10-15-2008 04:35 AM

They look the same, i ordered a fuselage and the canopy, the only difference is the magnets for the canopy are larger from HL. and the canopy is alittle different, The paint job that is.

ARF Guy 12-03-2008 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had many enjoyable flights and I get standing O's for my scale landings. It's not the fastest, most scale and certainly not the most expensive EDF F-16 but in 35+ years of flying RC, it is one of the most enjoyable planes I've ever flown.

ARF Guy

IAMKAOS 12-04-2008 12:41 AM

i know this thread is a few weeks old but i bought the HL A7 corsair with 70 mm fan unit. it's sitting in my garage with the nose crushed in. i bought it 3 weeks ago and the first time i bench ran the motor the battery puked and lost a cell. HL sent me a new one. on my first flight with the new battery the motor started surging badly and stopped and the model stalled nose first into the ground. while messing around with it in my garage i noticed the 45 amp esc says on it "2-3 lipo". doesn't this mean 2 to 3 cells?. i believe this is a 11.4 volt esc . the battery that comes with it is a 2200mah 4s 14.8 volt. i contacted HL about this and they told they had very few inquires about the A7. they claim some inquires they got, the customers installed new esc's in them and had the same problem and HL believed it was a "one in a few hundred" motor problem. i later found out one of my flying buddies has the HL F5 and had simular problems.being new into electrics i found out the amp rating of a esc's does not mean squat. it has to be made for the right number of cells and voltage. i believe this is the problem with it.

rcmiket 12-04-2008 07:07 AM

I replaced my ESC and BEC in my H/L F-16 due too issues with the motor cutting out. This solved my problem.Mike

ARF Guy 12-04-2008 08:54 AM

Yes, I had the cutting out problem also whenever a control using 2 servos was activated. I forwarded all information on the problem to HL and they replaced the ESC/BEC and it has worked normal. The battery that came with mine has been fine EXCEPT that the black lead on the balancing plug broke at the solder joint. I re-soldered it and used tie-wraps to provide strain relief. I also have a G-Force 4-cell 2250mah 20C battery from Value Hobby ($45) and it performs better than a friends 4-cell 2650 mah 25C battery (can't remember the brand from Atlanta Hobbies) that cost more than twice as much.

There is an interesting discussion on RC Groups "NEW F-16 From HL Thread!!!" about the CG for the F-16 you might wish to read. I found the recommended one in the manual caused me to add weight to the nose and the plane was a handful. I removed the weight and the plane flies good. I asked HL tech support and they said they didn't add any to the planes they fly.

ARF Guy

IAMKAOS 12-04-2008 04:10 PM

yes. but when you buy one of these models it should have the right and quailty equipment installed. i paid $269.00 for this thing and i should not have go out and spend another $50 to another $100 dollars on it. my buddy replaced the esc and motor in his F5 but he could afford to do that. i cannot. HL wants me to return it to them and they send me another one. i told them i would return it but to get credit back on my credit card because i feel i'm going to have the same problem. they wanted nothing to do with that.

rcmiket 12-04-2008 05:25 PM

HL took care of all my issues with mine and I was more than pleased with the outcome. Mike

ARF Guy 12-05-2008 08:20 AM

HL receives no benefit from you having a non-functional plane. They will make it right. My plane runs fine and flies real scale-like and that's what I like!

ARF Guy

joepongi 12-15-2008 07:50 PM

I ordered the blitzrcworks f16 70mm from bannanahobbys it was great looking outa the box I put it together and found the fan was vibrating, so what i did was take the spinner of and reseated the shaft adapter bye running it snug at about 1/3rd throttle and being careful fan did not spin off it seated its self and then i tightened nut down good and problem solved no vibration. I then took it out to the field and took it up. Well it was flying fine i trimmed it out then all of a suddon it when into a downword spiral wow I pulled back on the stick and saved the jet, landed it so lucky i did not wipe it out. Searching for the problem ,I realized running it for awhile the elevater servo was going down for no appearent reason well that was it i called banana hobbys and the are sending me two new ones. I put two of my own in and they work fine. Well if you ask me we are getting what we pay for cheap jets that in my book fly great but we do have to go over them with a fine tooth come. if i had the money i would put all of my own electronics in them. Great flying guys, Todd

ARF Guy 12-16-2008 07:49 AM

Had a little run in with a cross wind landing that caused a bounce. The nose gear bent back far enough to break an area of the inlet duct 2" by 2 1/2" out in 3 pieces. Lucky I had put some window screen in the duct to keep foreign objects out of the fan or 2 of the pieces would have been foam DUST. I glued the 3 pieces back in place like pieces of a puzzle and then coated the area with a thin coat of pink spackle paste from Lowe's. A light sanding and repainting with poster paint and you'd be hard pressed to know it had been damaged.

Had lots of "foamy" experience in the late 70's and 80's. Used to paint the entire plane with thinned out spackle and lightly sand, then paint with "Formula-U" urethane. The finish looked like fiberglass, no more "grain" effect. Anyway, as long as you can find all the pieces, you can easily repair a foamy.

ARF Guy

rcmiket 12-22-2008 07:26 AM

We had a great day of weather here in El Paso yesterday. I got 6 flights on my F-16 and it has never performed better. Light winds and almost 60 degrees. The guys were telling me that it was looking better everytime they see it fly,they also commented on how it seemed to look like it really seemed to look quicker everytime I flew it. On to my next project. I just received mt F-9 Panther from EJF. This one looks to be a lot of fun. Merry Christmas. Mike

koolaid535 12-29-2008 03:12 AM

I have a question, have anyone had to program there esc. i see here that alot of people are having alol problems with the esc cutting out, mines just started doing it, i thought it has something to do with programming, my f-16 came with a 50amp esc.

IAMKAOS 12-29-2008 06:29 AM

probably the bec is not rated for the voltage pack your using. exceed and hobby lobby edf's are having this problem. there are other postings about this. they designed these edf's around 11.4 power systems nd realized they were sluggish and then send 14.8 packs with them. hobby lobby's A7 corsair and F5 has this problem but they will not admit it. i'm on my 2nd hobby lobby A7, they replaced the first one but i still have the problem with the new one. at full power in short bursts the esc-bec in the A7 will draw power from the receiver and the receiver also quits working.this caused the crash of my 2nd A-7 AFTER 4 minutes of flight. we did some tests on the bench and found if we unplugged the BEC'S and used a 4.8 volt receiver pack that cured the problem.every single person at our flying site that are invovled in electrics has seen this problem with the A7 and two other hobby lobby edfs and say it is definitly the problem . hobby lobby claims they have had very few compliants about this problem but i found here recently that is absolutely not true!.

rcmiket 12-29-2008 07:26 AM

I ad the same issue with my F-16 after replacing the stock ECS/BEC with new ones I had the issues disappeared. To H/L credit they sent me all new guts for the F-16. I might try them in a different EDF down the road but I'm still pretty leary of those too. Mike

IAMKAOS 12-29-2008 04:34 PM

when they sent you the new guts were they the same ones that came with it?. i'm am really angry at HL. they know there is a problem with the product and deny it and keep selling them. one guy i fly with is well known in rc modeling industry. he is a kit manufactuer,contest judge and he was a editor for one the popular rc magizines and has done and still does many product reviews. he was there and hand launched it for me when my 2nd A7 crashed after 4 minutes of flight. i was flying at about 50% power. it happened when i did a full throttle burst and receiver crapped. there is no doudt in his mind it is a ESC- BEC problem. he told me he never uses BEC'S. many of my flying buddies keep telling me that i should hound HL for another replacement and remedy the problem that they deny does not exist.....but i do not think thats going to happen...maybe twice.. but not 3 times. anyway i need to quit rapping on this and go back to my glow planes.

koolaid535 12-29-2008 06:08 PM

Thanks for the response, I dont know how to take off the bec so ill just buy a speed controller without a bec and use a battery pack,

rcmiket 12-29-2008 06:27 PM

What I received looked like the same as the original since I have not tested them I have no idea if there up to par. Like I said I may toss them in another project but when I don't know. Have you contacted them about your issues? They were pretty upfront with me so I have no bones too pick with them Mike

koolaid535 12-30-2008 02:46 AM

anyone have any good advice on a esc for this bird,

rcmiket 12-30-2008 06:27 AM

I used the 50amo and BEC from these guys and have had no iissues. I also like The CC stuff but there alittle more pricey. Mike

http://www.lightflightrc.com/

http://www.castlecreations.com/index.html

koolaid535 12-31-2008 05:19 AM

thanks for the sites, I will be picking one up as soon as they are back in stock,

koolaid535 01-27-2009 07:22 AM

has anyone been flying this bird? whats the latest.

TWD 02-01-2009 02:41 PM

Question,

I just finished putting my F-16 together and I am about ready for the first flight. I have read all the posts about the CG situation, but has anyone come up with what is best on this plane flying it stock out of the box? I am a very conservative pilot and do not tend to do anything anything radical! Knowing this information what would be the best CG for my type of flying? Some say some nose down weight and others say a perfect balance. From what Hobby-Lobby says, right out of the box stock and 78MM works fine??!! This is a new bird and I do not want to have any problems right off the block! Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
TWD

ARF Guy 02-02-2009 08:27 AM

koolaid535, may I suggest reading pages 1 through 3 of this message board.

TWD, I know flyers who fly it just find "as is" without any weight added. Mine has about 1/4 ounce under the nose cone for my own preference. The tech at HL says they fly theirs "as is". The plane is so light and stable you can slow it down to trainer landing speeds without fear of tip stalling but it is best to keep decent speed for good control response. Otherwise it will just drop. I've had mine so slow (at altitude) that it weather vaned into the wind and nearly stops. Remember it IS a jet and forward speed is required for control, no prop wash!

ARF Guy