RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   Nitro Planes Hero 100 Version 2 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/9528357-nitro-planes-hero-100-version-2-a.html)

Greg Covey 02-23-2010 09:05 AM

Nitro Planes Hero 100 Version 2

1 Attachment(s)
The new Version 2 Hero 100 Twin EDF Executive Jet is back in stock at [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/neheea100fie.html]Nitro Planes[/link]. I'll be doing a full review on this larger 71" span semi-scale research aircraft, posting my build and results here.

This twin-EDF model was designed around dual 101mm fan units and matched D36-2200kv brushless motors. Created for the advanced sport scale pilot, the Hero Eagle 100 ARF is designed for easy assembly and setup using top quality wood construction with a fiberglass fuselage. Just drop in the 101mm fan unit and tighten the screws. The removable front hatch also allows for easy access to the radio equipment and batteries. The entire trim scheme is prepainted, pre-trimmed, and the the wings are covered in quality shrink material. All the decals have already been applied and all hardware and accessories are included.

Specifications:[ul][*] Wing span: 71 in / 1803 mm[*] Wing area: 746 sq in / 48.4 sq dm[*] Flying weight: 14.3lb / 6500g[*] Fuselage length: 71 in / 1803 mm[*] EDF : 101mm / 4.0 in x 2pcs[*] Radio Required: 6channels, 8servos[*] Brushless Motor : D36 x L 50 mm x 2pcs ; 2200 kv[*] Speed Controller : 22.2 v ; 85A[*] Li-poly Battery : 4000mAh ; 25 C
[/ul]

rjpmodel 02-23-2010 10:56 AM

RE: Nitro Planes Hero 100 Version 2

Greg. How does this one differ from the previous version.
I recently purchased the earlier version and in the process
of building it. I would like a backup.

Greg Covey 02-24-2010 07:12 PM

Hi Bob,

That's a good question. I haven't gotten a response yet but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Regards.

rjpmodel 02-24-2010 07:29 PM

Hi Greg. I will have one in my hands on Friday.

nitrostaff1 02-25-2010 05:35 AM

Hi,

I was told from the manufacturer that there is not big difference from v1 and v2, only they made improvements on the hardware. They claim they used better hardware on the v2.

John
Nitro Planes

Greg Covey 02-25-2010 10:58 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. Better hardware is a step in the right direction on these models.

I'll also take a good look at the wooden former and retract glue joints to be be sure they are solid as I plan to add SpringAir retracts and struts to my model.

Regards.

Greg Covey 03-03-2010 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Hero 100 Cessna 550 comes in a big 68" long box. The plane looked well packed and the parts were either wrapped in foam or plastic. I split the box photos in half to get a closer look. The fuselage spans the entire length of the box.

I'll get some parts photos after everything is unwrapped.

Greg Covey 03-04-2010 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wing halves measured 31.5" each. All the wood surfaces were perfectly covered without a single wrinkle. This was unexpected quality from a $200 ARF.

The control surfaces, like ailerons, rudder, and elevator halves, all had the hinge material inserted but needed to be glued with thin CA.

The main wing tube measured 27.5" across. I discovered another addition to the Version 2 kit, there were three wheel retract bays instead of two on the original kit.

Greg Covey 03-04-2010 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The large one-piece fuselage was 68" long. Most of the colors and decals had been applied. I will, however, be modifying the color scheme to match the full-scale Cessna Citation that this design mostly mimics. More to come on the scale-up process.

The formers, retract bays, and servo/battery bay appeared to be intact but I recommend doing a full inspection for strength of adhesion to the fiberglass body. I typically use the aerospace grade epoxy called [link=http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/vpoxy.htm]Vpoxy[/link] from BVM Jets to ensure a quality bond between fiberglass and other materials like wood or plastic.

Note the addition of the nose wheel retract cutout and retract bay in the Version 2 kits.

skyhawknut 03-04-2010 08:04 PM

Huh???????
Are they using a 90 degree rotating nose gear??

Greg Covey 03-05-2010 11:33 AM

That's a good question.

I hadn't noticed the twist as I was taking photos. I plan to use Spring Air 301 retracts with Robart struts so I may need to make some changes.

I didn't see anything that would work for this model on the Nitro Planes Web site so I'll query John to see what they had in mind.

Thanks.

rjpmodel 03-05-2010 11:52 AM

I am currently building a ver1 (original version) hero100 and have received a new ver2(version 2) for a backup last week. I will list the major differences between ver1 and ver2 I have seen so far for those interested.

Ver2 has 3 plastic wheel covers and ver1 has 3 fiberglass wheel covers.

Ver1 has no retract openings in the fuse bottom so you can cut out as you please. Ver2 has a large horizontal wheel opening in the fuse bottom wich you will have to cover up if using conventional retracting nose gear.

Ver1 has a completely finished easily removable fiberglass canopy with internal wood framework and ver2 has a plastic canopy with no internal framework. The ver2 fuse has a recess lip built into the fuse
around the canopy area for the canopy material to overhang and attach with screws I guess. This lip can be seen on Gregs photos. If you want an easily removable canopy for battery access for ver2, you will have
to build your own internal framework and latch assembly.

The blue paint on the ver2 fuse at the vertical fin attach area is a brighter blue color and does not match the blue fin covering material. The colors match on ver1.

Ver2 has some panel lines built into the fuse and nacell glass that the ver1 does not have

These are the major differences I have seen with a quick look as I am back to finishing the build of my ver1 plane.

Greg Covey 03-06-2010 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob,

Thanks for the complete comparison between the two versions. It appears that the manufacturers (or factories) may have changed between the two versions. I heard back from Nitro John and there is no recommendation from the manufacturer for retracts.

I am not sure if a rotating steerable nose retract even exists. If so, it certainly isn't common and not scale on a Cessna Citation. I'll detail the changes when I mount my Spring Air 301 retracts with Robart struts. I'm also adding a Sonic-Tronics (#132) nose gear door after seeing the nice job that Carl Rich did on his Cessna.

To finish up the parts photos, we have a decal sheet and a 10-page glossy manual with clear photos. The manual appears to be for Version 1 and shows using a steerable non-retractable nose wheel. This option, along with the wheels, still comes with Version 2 for those that don't build it with retracts. There is no cutout on the bottom of the fuselage in the manual and the canopy section has been crossed out with pen marks.

Overall, I think what you get for only $200 is a great value and I am excited to finally start this project after a 6 month wait. There are certain pitfalls with these lower cost fiberglass models from China but they can easily be overcome with some experience and skill. I'll be detailing some history on the full-scale plane that the Hero 100 was modeled after and reveal my 5000 watt power system and navigation lights that are visible in sunlight.

Greg Covey 03-07-2010 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The first step of assembly in these larger low-cost fiberglass models is always inspection. While I was surprised at the wrinkle-free covering, I was not surprised to find some loose formers.

It is always best to take some time at the beginning of a project like this to stress test all the parts that come in contact with the fiberglass. Even if you do not find loose formers, I still recommend running a bead of a quality epoxy like the [link=http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/vpoxy.htm]VPOXY[/link] from BVM Jets. Another popular brand is the Locktite Hysol.

To fix loose areas, the proper procedure is to first tack glue the area with medium CA, let it dry, and then run a bead of VPOXY preferably on both sides, although this is not always possible. There are different length mixing tubes available for the gun or you can mix it yourself before applying it to the surfaces.

flyboytha1 03-11-2010 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I Hear The Canopy Is With Out The Wood Frame Fittings.

The Passanger Door Is Square And Not Rounded Like V-1.

I Also Heard That The Motor Hosuing Are Made A Little Different.

Bottom Hatch Was Made Better With A Easier Fit.

Also The Nose Gear Door Open Is Pre- Cut As For V-1 You Had To Dremel It Out Yourself.

Greg Covey 03-11-2010 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Hero Eagle 100 was modeled after the full-scale Cessna 550 Citation II research aircraft from [link=http://www.nlr.nl/smartsite.dws?ch=&id=8650&l=en]NLR[/link] in the Netherlands. The Cessna Citation II [link=http://www.nlr.nl/documents/flyers/F108-05.pdf]PH-LAB[/link] is one of the research aircraft operated by the National Aerospace Laboratory NLR. It is owned and operated jointly with the Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering. Originally designed for executive travel, this Citation II has been extensively modified by NLR and Delft University of Technology to serve as a versatile airborne research platform.

The full-scale Citation II is a twinjet aircraft of conventional aluminum construction. It can accommodate up to eight passengers (or observers) in addition to the two-pilot cockpit crew. The plane's registration, PH-LAB, is derived from the Netherlands designation of PH (like N for USA) and the three letter call sign LAB for Laboratory. The flying laboratory's primary purpose is to teach students what it takes to do measurements on dynamic flights, sometimes in zero-G conditions, and as a platform for atmospheric measurements all over the world.

The non-scale colors of the Nitro Planes' Hero 100 appear to be from combining schemes of several Cessna Citations together. The yellow appears to be derived from the international Aeromed Medivac Cessna Citation II; [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cessna_Citation_II.jpg]N174DR[/link]. Other colors like the bright red across the leading edges were likely chosen to increase orientation in the air.

I'll be changing some of the shrink film colors on my wing and tail as well as removing the yellow from the fuselage.

mark_d 03-12-2010 09:05 PM

Greg, a guy over on RCG did a simple convertion on his retracts to allow the nose wheel to rotate: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=38

Greg Covey 03-13-2010 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice! Thanks for the link, Mark.

My navigation lights for the Cessna 550 are the EDR-117 LiteSys from [link=http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-117/index.shtml]Electro Dynamics[/link]. This plug and play lighting system for scale models uses the ED-SunVis Wide-angle lamps that are visible in sunlight.

I'm using the LiteSys Starter System with Transmitter-controlled switching for $119. It includes the following items.[ul][*] Red and Green Nav Lights[*] Red Beacon or White Strobe (select)[*] 4-way Distributor[*] Landing Light[*] Dual RC Switch
[/ul]
The dual RC Switch can either turn the lights on whenever the receiver hears the transmitter or by a spare channel.

Greg Covey 03-13-2010 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My retract choice is the Spring Air 301 Firewall Retract Set. These retracts use air pressure to go up and spring force to go down. I have successfully used these in the past on my Byron A-4 Skyhawk and feel they offer a good quality value with a great fail-safe mode of operation. If you loose the air pressure, the retracts lock down in the landing position. Carl Rich also proved that these retracts were a good size choice on the Version 1 Cessna. The 301 retracts can handle models up to 15-16lbs.

Instead of using the supplied wire mains, I'm using a pre-enjoyed set of Robart 501 struts with Dubro (275TL) 2-3/4" Treaded Lightweight Wheels. Any strut can be easily added by making your own 5/32" pin with a Dremel tool. The struts not only reduce bounce on landing but enhance the gear appearance by eliminating the skinny wire look.

blkz2801 03-13-2010 01:19 PM

Looks really good Greg!

Greg Covey 03-14-2010 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I have some easy scale-up improvements that I'll reveal as I go through the build.

My power system components will be the following items...times two.[ul][*] Neu 1415/1.5Y inrunner motor[*] Castle Creations ICE 100 ESC[*] RC Lander 90mm DF[*] Two 4s 30C 4000mAh Blue Lipo packs in series
[/ul]
My original plan was to use Wemotec Midi Pro fans. When I received the new RC Lander metal DFs, I was very surprised at the quality of the machining. Further, it fit perfectly into the Hero 100 nacelle. I don't have any measurements on the fan yet so it the loading isn't sufficient then I will swap the rotor with the Midi Pro rotor. RC Lander is making clam shell mounts for these 90mm DFs so it will easily be held onto the platform in the nacelle.

The RC Lander rotor is only 5-blades compared to the Midi Pro 6-blade rotor but it does have a more aggressive pitch so perhaps the loading and thrust may be comparable. The rotor is made from some composite that is very hard and the quality was very high so that I did not see any flaws. I made the following weight measurements.[ul][*] 2-piece fan housing = 3.1oz[*] Rotor, spinner, and adapter = 1.4oz[*] Red tail cone = 1.6oz[/ul]

mark_d 03-14-2010 06:33 PM

Greg you may want to measure that Landers diameter before you start to swap it, some versions of that fan have a rotor that is only 84mm or so.

Greg Covey 03-15-2010 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark,

Here are some photos of the RC Lander 90mm DF using the Wemotec Midi Pro rotor and spinner. The 6-blade Midi Pro rotor is on the left and then mounted in the fan.

The shaft size and adapter screw are the same so it fits right on the Lander adapter. The Midi Pro rotor length is slightly smaller than the Lander rotor length by about 4mm.

So it still looks promising for a reasonable load on 8s with the Neu motor. If not, then the Midi Pros will provide a known 2500 watts per side with great efficiency.

Greg Covey 03-16-2010 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first step of the assembly is to complete the wings. The Spring Air 301 retract installed easily after first making some minor cut adjustments. I also noticed that with a little modification, you could mount the flap and aileron servos sideways for a cleaner look. I used JR DS821 digital servos because they offer strong torque and great return to center for a reasonable price.

The flap servo mounted sideways after a few cuts with a Dremel tool and a small block of balsa underneath to raise it up flush with the surface. The aileron servo needed a tray running between the two ribs. I used a scrap piece of light plywood. To extend the servo wires, I used JR (JRPA102) 24" Heavy Duty Servo Extensions.

The plug and play navigation light easily mounted on the wing tip after drilling a hole from the end into the long open bay that travels the length of the wing.

By drilling a hole from the wheel well into the main bay that runs the length of the wing, all four lines could exit the normal opening that goes into the fuselage without further modification.

When I looked at the supplied hardware, I knew that I wanted to mount the control horns on the bottom side only for a cleaner look on the top of the wing. The control surfaces were plenty thick so I used the supplied wood screws instead of the intended machine screws that were meant to pass through the control surface. By pre-drilling some pilot holes for the control horns and using some CA, it created a strong hold that could not be seen from the top. I didn't think there was a long enough block in the flap for the outer most screw so I cut an opening in the covering and added a small piece of plywood.

One issue I had with the hardware was that the threaded ends of the aileron and flap control rods were too small for the plastic clevis. I used my own metric control rods from an old bulk pack ([link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/18_better_rc_metal_clevises_with_11_rods_1042_prd1 .htm]HLH804[/link]) I bought from Hobby Lobby years ago. Since these control rods also came with a metal clevis, I used those instead of the supplied plastic clevis.

All that remains to do on the wing is to cover the red and yellow sections. This will be saved towards the end of the project.

Greg Covey 03-21-2010 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The yellow on the fuselage was re-painted with Valspar Gloss White (102S) Spray Enamel paint. First, the black lines were masked off and then the yellow area was sanded with #220 grit sandpaper. I then taped paper towels over the rest of the fuselage before spraying.

A red line will be painted in the center between the two black lines. The color will be close to the red covering used to eliminate the remaining yellow on the control surfaces.