RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   E-Turbinator (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/9968651-e-turbinator.html)

Love To build 08-30-2010 01:50 AM

E-Turbinator

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm starting the E Turbinator from Shulman Aviation. I just built two other of their planes (They went together very well with good quality) and wanted to get a E turbine model. This will be a slow build as I save for all the accesories.

gp125racer 08-31-2010 06:42 PM

RE: E-Turbinator

Looks nice, love the color on that. Is that an RCLander 90mm fan??

rorrock 08-31-2010 06:54 PM

I've just about completed the same build.. Did you go the fixed gear or retracts?

Love To build 08-31-2010 08:19 PM

It's the Shulman Aviation "Fury Fan". I'm waiting for retracts. I have to wait as the money comes in on this one. So as I get items for it, I'll post

Love To build 10-03-2010 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my retracts. I picked up E-Tracts at the NEAT Fair. Some modification had to be made to the Turbinator. It is set up for Robarts and the E-Tracts are a deeper unit so I had to Make a 1/4" lift to the mounting blocks. The retracts came with wood mounting blocks which I cut the spacers out of. Added a little matching paint on them and was good to go. The nose gear mounted fine. The only modification was to move the steering servo to the other side of the fuse. I servo taped it in place. The mounts that are in the fuse for the robarts, leave them there. You'll mess up the structure trying to remove them. Now to get the ESC and Battery.

carl.huxford125 10-04-2010 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been flying mine for about a month now, It is a very nice flying plane and can handle fairly strong winds. I am using the E-flite electric retracts in mine, they are drop in fit and work very well.

EchoBravo 10-10-2010 08:22 AM

<span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Which E-Flite retracts did you use? The 10 - 15 size or 15 - 25?

How have they been on the grass, any issues?</span></span>

ORIGINAL: carl.huxford125

I have been flying mine for about a month now, It is a very nice flying plane and can handle fairly strong winds. I am using the E-flite electric retracts in mine, they are drop in fit and work very well.

carl.huxford125 10-10-2010 02:56 PM

I used the 10-15 size retracts, they drop right in with no mods needed.

The grass srtip i fly at is anything but smooth and i have not had a single issue with the retracts, infact i would say they are the best retracts i have used, no need to mess about charging air and you know they are going to come down, looks really good flicking the gear down just before touch down;)

PVS41960 11-06-2010 03:04 PM

Just purchased my First EDF (The Turbinator) from Shulman Aviation with electric retracts, fury 68mm -4s fan, &amp;fury 80 S-BEC. since I'm new to EDF's I would like to know, what is the heaviest (grams) &amp; highest C rated 4s battery I can use, with this Setup

carl.huxford125 11-09-2010 04:47 AM

i expect a 3300mAh to 4000mAh 45c lipo would be fine, the turbinator will fly fine with a fairly forward c/g, at take off mine is very nose heavy and flys really well, just needs a little more forward stick for inverted,

PVS41960 11-09-2010 06:32 AM

Carl

What Is Your Estimated Speed, &amp; RU Using The 4s Fury EDFUnit &amp; 80 Amp ESC ? Also Is There anything I should know Before The Build ?

Paul</p>

carl.huxford125 11-09-2010 09:37 AM

I would say my the top speed of my turbinator is around the 100mph mark, maybe a bit more, it is not an overly quick airframe, but it does fly very very well and slows right down for landing.

No i am not using the fury Fan, i have a kolibri turbine in mine.

As far as the build goes it is straight forward just follow the instruction and it will be fine, i am using the suggested c/g and deflections apart from the rudder, which i have got all i can get, as mine is nose heavy for the first half of the flight and the extra rudder is needed for knife edge

gyronuts 05-08-2012 09:46 AM

hi,
bought this model second hand. fitting a lander edf on 4s but I don't know where the C of G is.
Anyone with the plan help? thanks. Bill

gyronuts 09-15-2012 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
first flight today,. model weighs 4 Lbs ready to fly with 4s 4500 lipo. Grass field with limited room to take off. After a push it flew getting airborne after 3/4 of the strip . Flies as if on rails and controllably even at slow speeds. small wheels not to good on grass but 15 Kt wind helped. Very impressed. BIll