Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slowstick abomination

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Rockfish88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowstick abomination

I have a slow stick that has been gathering dust for a while so I am trying to see if I can create a combination of spare parts and tape that will fly. So I have a slightly used motor from a Parkzone T-28, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC, a 7.4v 1300 mah 20c battery, a 9.5 x 7.5 prop, and a Spektrum 6110e receiver. Oh, and two large hex nuts taped near the tail for balance. The plane is yellow, so it all looks great!

It is balanced so the CG is where the slow stick says it belongs but with this motor would that change? Can this ESC work with this motor and battery without burning up? Seems to run fine on the ground...but will it fly?

Any insights welcome.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
KNowAceHere

Default RE: Slowstick abomination

I think you may be a little under sized in you ESC. The T-28 usually runs on a 30amp ESC If I remember right. It might also be a little overpowered for the Slow Stick but it has such a low wing loading, you could get away with it. You could pretty much put anything on the plane as long as you have a good CG. It may fly like a brick if you get to heavy but it should still fly. If you stick with the 18amp esc then use the smaller prop and go half throttle. i bet it will fly great. I've built many scratch electrics and as long as you find a good CG, they all fly very well.

Just my $.02 worth
Chris
Old 09-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Slowstick abomination

You are using 2s so I imagine that your 18A ESC should be fine... that 960Kv motor with the 9.5x7.5 surely will not draw as much as 18A on 2s.

Bruce's data suggests just 912Kv and (by very rough extrapolation) an amp draw of probably no more than 12A.... but 80W is enough for a SlowStick.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bha...rkzone480.html