Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Flying the Switch and one small issue

Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Duspan
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying the Switch and one small issue

A few weeks ago Ibought my first plane. A Flyzone Switch. Ihave only flown it twice due to getting married and going on my honeymoon during that time also. This is the first time Ihave ever flown. So, Ican take it up and do figure 8's and other basic beginner patterns and I can land..... (Somewhat.) My first landing was very pretty. The second however was not a crash to say, but not graceful. Ifigure the plane dropped about a foot to the ground going pretty slow. I went over to the plane and the landing gear had come completly out of the fuse. It is a foam plane but the gear is mounted to what looks like ply. The wood broke in a clean line but Iwas wondering what would be the best glue to fix this, and how would Iadd some supporting properties to this so it wont happen again? It seems like the wood used is a little thin and maybe not supported as well as it could be.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying the Switch and one small issue

I am really not very knowlegable with these electrics or what exactly the connection of the landing gear looks like, but when I glue foam to wood, I like to use polyurethane glue. It comes in different brands like gorrilla glue and elmers polyurethane. It foams a bit when curing and fills voids. Just remember that adding more durable wood members usually means adding more weight and your airplane will fly better the lighter it is and worse the heavier it is.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:31 PM
whitecrest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying the Switch and one small issue

ORIGINAL: ...It is a foam plane but the gear is mounted to what looks like ply. The wood broke in a clean line but I was wondering what would be the best glue to fix this, and how would I add some supporting properties to this so it wont happen again? It seems like the wood used is a little thin and maybe not supported as well as it could be.
Welcome to the forum!

A torsion-block system has worked well for me. It provides a lot of spring to the landing gear and does not take up too much room in the fuselage to install. If the blocks are glued carefully, they will not tear out. Here's one I'm installing in a micro Telemaster. The landing gear consists of two wires anchored in a slotted block to create a twisting action in the wires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88633.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1509453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36700.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1509454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59490.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.9 KB