Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Pieces and Parts

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Pieces and Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:54 PM
LarryWC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Pieces and Parts

Hi all..
I'm a beginner also. I have the Aerobird.. neat plane. I have read many messages about wings folding.. breaking etc..RAT SPIT!.. I can't get mine to break..My wife thinks this is great! How am I ever supposed to be able to justify a new toy or new parts if it keeps on flying?... depressing..
Anway... just another conspiracy theory..lol
On a serious note:
I'd be interested in obtaining any parts from Aerobirds.. that are not loved anylonger.. I especially want broken wings to experiment with different repairs to keep us flying..
[email protected]
Old 07-26-2003, 06:49 AM
jatoo

I know how to break a wing!
I'm a beginner and I hit the ground wing first with the motor on. Took a lovely big chunk out of it :'(
Old 07-26-2003, 12:06 PM
LarryWC

Alfat,

They are pretty easy to repair, just tape over it with packing tape. I usually, depending on the hun k missing, CA some blue foam in the hole, sand it down, put tape on it and off I go again
Old 07-27-2003, 09:23 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Taping over the crease only works for planes that are flown easily. If you take that taped wing into a strong gust, the tape will do nothing to keep that fold from folding again. This has happened to me twice on repaired wings.

I just set a piece of thin wood, walnut I think, onto the wing with double sided tape. Placed it on the top, then put the clear tape over it.

The t-hawk makes their wigs like this as standard design so they hold up my better. Have not flown it yet, so I can't say if it will impact the flight.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:58 PM
LarryWC

I embedded short pieces of bamboo across the crease/fold/break...I have flown it twice since and once it took a real power dive and the wing survived so far.. LOL.. all the stars are probably not lined up right.. then probably a loud snap and a death spiral..
I am impressed with the T Hawk, I think I would have been better off with that setup.. not nearly as expensive to repair. Do you know if the tail boom and fuse will interchange with the AB?
Old 07-28-2003, 12:12 AM
aeajr

If you exchange the tail and the fuse with the Aerobird, what is left.

Are you asking if an Aerobird will fit and fly a t-hawk. I believe it will. However your radio will not transfer. T-hawk uses standard rc components like hitec servos.

Looks like a good plane. One of the guys in our club has one. Flies well!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:49 AM
LarryWC

Yea.. I know the electronices wont.. but.. they want 50 clams for a fuse when and if the T-Hawk will work for 9 bucks.. thought I'd buy one and a boom just to see..
Hmmmm.... 17 bucks for toys... ah heck.. the house payment can wait..LOL
Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 AM
aeajr

T-hawk fuse assumes you have the motor and the electronics to put in it. That is why it is sho cheap.

Aerobird fuse comes with the motor and the electronics as well as the tail boom and the connecting lines all installed and ready to go. Put on the tail, strap on a wing and you are all set.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:47 AM
MD2020

I've had a wing fold a couple of times too. I used some thin plastic (garage sale sign from wal mart), & glued & taped it to the top of the wing. works good. First patch was just big enough to go an inch on either side of the fold, but across the entire chord of the wing. Next time it folded (pulling out of a loop) was beside the patch, so I reinforced all the way across the middle from where the wing begins to sweep back on both sides. I figure it will take an impact on the wing tip to fold it now.

Mike D.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:19 AM
aeajr

sounds like a good repair plan! Let us know how it holds up.