Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

want to get into rc planes.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
MCRIPPPer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default want to get into rc planes.

i want to get into rc planes, but there are several hurdles to overcome for me. for one, i dont have a large aria to fly. i have a small field on my property to fly a plane. i have never flown a plane before. there are no clubs around, or instructors.

i have driven rc cars for a long time, and know the ins and outs of radios, engines and electronics. so i have good building skills and good at controlling rc things. but planes are a different story im assuming.

what would be a good, small plane, that i can fly in a field about the size of 1/2 football field. i would like 4 channel also, so i can do some tricks once i get the hang of it.

do you think a low wing plane with dihederal (i have no idea how to spell that lol) would be stable enough to learn on? or should i stick with something like a high wing, trainer cub type plane?

what do you guys recommend?

the horizon rc micros look neat, but i am not sure of there out door abilities.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: want to get into rc planes.

GWS Slow Stick. $35.99, install some micro servos, lots of threads on this plane. Flies great, and it's slow so you can keep up with it.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
TomBates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd recommend that you contact these guys. http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=1554 They're only about 18 miles from you. Most clubs are great when it comes to helping new guys. Good luck.

Tom

Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM
MCRIPPPer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for that link! i didnt know there was a club near me. 

Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

People often think there are no clubs near them only to find they are surrounded by clubs. Tom used the AMA club locator.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Once you find the clubs in your area your choice of planes may change dramatically.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My personal experience with other flyers turned out to be a brand new found group, word of mouth we have a small new group of 6 very active members, fly near daily when weather permits. The local club I rarely run into them, great guys but not nearly as active as our new found group. Defintely check your local clubs as this will vary, but these new flyers have been absolutely super. So be on the lookout for any newbies and share the adventure ! BEST ..<>..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phillipmorris

My personal experience with other flyers turned out to be a brand new found group, word of mouth we have a small new group of 6 very active members, fly near daily when weather permits. The local club I rarely run into them, great guys but not nearly as active as our new found group. Defintely check your local clubs as this will vary, but these new flyers have been absolutely super. So be on the lookout for any newbies and share the adventure ! BEST ..<>..
FREQUENCY CONTROL

One thing to remember, frequency control. If you are flying on 2.4 GHz, this is not an issue. If you are flying on 72 MHZ, this is a HUGEissue. Ibring this up because many new pilots don't know about this.

2.4 GHz radio handle frequency control automatically. But on 72 MHz you can only have one pliot on a channel at a time. And the impacted range can be very large. If you turn on two 72 MHz Radios on the same channela mile apart, booth planes could immediatly crash. If you are in your yard setting up your plane and there is someone else on the same channel a mile away you will interfere with eachother.

Now consider that if the two pilots are 1 mile apart and put your palnes in the air, you could be flying toward the other pilot, reducing the distance between your plane and that other pilot's radio. Your range check could be fine but as you take off and head in his direction you could fly into a conflict.

Isay a mile but interference can actually span a larger area. AMAwill not charter two clubs within 3 miles of each other because that is how far you need to be apart to have confidence you will not interfere with each other. And that is air miles not road miles.

So, if you are a new pilot, you will be much safer on 2.4 GHz and you won't be causing other people to crash. Othwise you are at risk for problems with other pilots in the area, pilots that you did not even know existed.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Monterey10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regarding planes, for small areas, the ultra micro planes up to the "15" sized planes are nice. Some of the nicer small planes, the T-28, the 15 sized Tiger Moth. When you get some SIM time and are very comfortable with these planes, the E-Flite P40 is a nice plane.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 AM
tonywayne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The GWS slow stick as Rambler mentioned is a great starter, you can cut ailerons into it too. There are lots of small trainers out there to chose from that can be flown easily in a half football field sized area. Its hard to point a newb to a specific plane, the spectrum of trainers is just to big. For that matter personally I would recommend a high wing trainer in the 30 to 50 inch wing span size. Save the low wing for your second plane.
Im don’t think having experience with ground based vehicles will give you much of an advantage with flying besides having already conditioned hand eye coordination, planes is a whole different set of muscle memory. To anyone wanting to get started in rc planes the first thing I recommend is a simulator. Ooooh the time and money I would have saved if only I had a sim in the 80’s when I first started out as a kid. Don’t let the 200$ sims that are most advertised discourage you. There are a lot cheaper sims available such as Clear View for 40$ and Flying model simulator for 20$.
Take your time setting your model up right and don’t get discouraged if your first flights aren’t perfect. Good luck
Old 07-15-2011, 05:11 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Careful with the slow stick. That plane is so versitile you could end up with a fleet of them, each set up for a different task.

Indoor flying
Ourdoot slow flying
Aerobatic ( with ailerons cut in)
3D
Maybe even 4D

I have seen slow stick pylon races done in a gym.

There are very few airplanes as versitle, as modifyable and as universally enjoyed as the GWS Slow Stick.

Ithink they even sell a slope glider version.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM
tonywayne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Careful with the slow stick. That plane is so versitile you could end up with a fleet of them,

My first and only slow stick is now serving as a great platform for my first fpv plane i have built. The load that big lifting wing can carry at slow speeds is remarkable. Im now wanting another S stick for night flying. I could easily see myself with a small fleet of them for different task.