Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Another annoying newbee with the same old questions...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Another annoying newbee with the same old questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
stumpjumper69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another annoying newbee with the same old questions...

OK I am looking to start up in electric flight. I have been doing nitro and elect. cars and trucks for a while now and there is this really nice big field right across the street that is just begging me to go out and fly it I have been doing some research and I understand that the HobbyZone Super Cub seems to be most people's idea of the best first plane. The only problem for me is...well...it looks really lame I mean I REALLY prefer the military style (like the Focke Wulf, P51 or Spitfire) over the traditional cessna style planes. I have been working with a simulator on my computer but I know this is not the same as real life flying. So I guess my question is, how much would I be screwing myself over by jumping right to one of the above listed planes instead of starting off with a beginner plane? I mean if it is a BIG deal I guess I can live with the Cub for a few weeks or months while I learn. Also, I noticed the Spitfire has different settings (A and B) for beginner and intermediate users. Is this an advantage or just marketing?
Thanks for all your input
Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM
SackOHammers

Default RE: Another annoying newbee with the same old questions...

It is a big deal. I'm not making any assumptions on who you are or what your abilities are... but its safe to say that there is a good chance you'll end up with a pile of foam or a pile of balsa. Those planes fly fast, and they can stall more easily. Get something with a wing up high, something that can fly slow... and something that is easy to repair if you crash it.
The forums are full of people that went out and bought the WW2 prop fighter for their first plane because it looked fun and then wrecked it and regretted it. Others, went out and bought the warbird, put it on a shelf as motivation, and then started with the supercub. You'll save some frustration if you take steps.

If aesthetics are a concern, the plane is easy to paint. There are bird-dog paint schemes and other things you can do to make it look military.... green US Army SAR plane, or any other scheme. In the super cub forum here, and in the supercubclub forums you'll see many folks have done military style makeovers to their cubs.

The best idea I can give is if you can find some of those forums and read their posts. Hehe, they sound very similar to yours. Its completely reasonable... the warbirds capture the imagination. When I was a kid I'd dream of jets and warbirds... never really spent much time dreaming about a Piper Cub. Although if I'd seen this as a kid (http://www.shaunlunt.typepad.com/) I might have.... anyway...
Even in the large super cub forum there are reports of people that just went for the P51 or the Spitfire... they knew they were taking a chance, but figured what the heck, I've got experience with helis... or whatever.... then they crashed and bought a supercub and were really glad they have the supercub to learn on.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:17 AM
jdetray

I will second what SackOHammers is saying. There are some pilots who are able to start right out flying a warbird, but not many.

A good trainer has a couple of important characteristics.

1. Compared to a warbird, a trainer flies slowly. Warbirds must fly faster just to stay in the air. When you first start flying, you will be amazed at how little time you have to react. The slower flying speed of a trainer really helps.

2. A trainer is designed to "fly itself" to a certain extent. A good trainer will tend to self-correct and fly straight and level if you take your hands off the sticks. Warbirds lack this self-correcting tendency -- they go exactly where you point them. Warbirds do not tolerate the mistakes that every new pilot will make, whereas a trainer is much more stable and forgiving. It's not that you can't crash a trainer -- you can and probably will -- but your chances of successful flying are much greater with a trainer.

The Super Cub isn't the only good electric trainer around, but it is popular for a reason.

- Jeff
Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
DUSTINNEWTON

If you start with a warbird, and overestimate your ability, you will wind up crashing it, going back to a SuperCub anyway, learning to fly on a trainer like everyone else, then repairing your fighter quite a few months later, having learned your lesson. I've seen it a million times. Everyone wants to start out with a turbine jet, but there's a reason that so many have/fly the SuperCub or comparable trainers. Pretty much ank skilled activity requires training and a learning curve. Start out too fast and you will spend a lot of cash in a hurry!! The SuperCub is a lot more fun to fly than you think!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you'll find even more lame than having a plane with no sex appeal is a sexy plane in a bunch of pieces.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
patnchris

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from the ParkZone Warbirds for a while. They are not the best flyers, even for those that know what they're doing. And then they're a handful....If you must start with a warbird, (and I certainly don't recommend it) start with the E-Flight P-47. IT doesn't come inan RTF version. You'll need to build it, but that will also be part of the learning curve. If you build it, then you have a head start towards learning to adjust and repair it. I suggest the you build it stock, with all the recommended stuff. You can pick up a complete TX/RX set fairly reasonable on E-Bay.....It is a docile flyer with no bad tendencies. Once you master it, then you can convert it to brushless and it will really wake up.......Pat
Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 PM
cjg

I learned to fly on a supercub. Never regretted it. After owning it for about year I bought my next step up this week - a Parkzone T-28. It is a handful, and I would certainly have completely crashed and destroyed it if I hadn't started with a supercub.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 AM
phillipmorris

I have 2 Super Cubs, its a real beauty in flight, I like to go high and check the currents, the pics really don't do it justice as looks like the real thing in flight, and even the Super Cub is a handful on the maiden venture, now on the 2nd Super Cub into Night Flights, its more than fun and landing in the dark is challenging, nothing like it...

Have some cool looing planes in the scrapeheap as wanted something more aggessive, learning period, not a good idea, turns out to be simply an expensive lesson..

Now on the Stryker, wing design by Parkzone, requires continual stick, more speed, lots to handle, but loving it, would not be here EVER if it wasn't for the Super Cub, THANK YOU, all takes abit of time and practice, wish you well..BEST ..<>...

Super Cub, Docile, amazing trainer, takes a beating..
Firebird Phantom, $59 a great flyer, abit fast and breakable for the newbies first outing, great response, flys very well
Stryker, have Choice of B or aggresive C, I took the B route, learned by prior mistakes, another adventure begins
On the Horizon, Jets, yep, if I make it again tnx Super Cub and Stryker, gotta love this hobbly..lots to learn..<>.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horyzon has a P-51 that flies like a trainer but it is not electric, sorry. I think you can go 2 different ways:

1) You get a trainer and learn all there is to learn (and it is a lot of fun..) OR
2) You get one of those small, difficult to fly mini-warbirds, you destroy the thing the first time you go out, and THEN you get yourself the trainer.

If you really want a electric warbird, look at Hobby-Lobby's Bird dog. Not a trainer, but a heck of a lot better than any WWII fighter!

In over 25 years in the hobby, I always had a trainer in my fleet. Right now it's the Electric Telemaster ARF, and guess what, if it is windy, it always gets to fly:-)

My Wingo (from HLobby) is also a great trainer! You can also fly it w/floats. A blast! Mine must be easy over 8 years old. Still flies... Great glider, you can thermal this thing around like it's nobody's business:-) I like the way bigger planes fly, plus, they are easier to see:-) Ah, and I love Cubs, all sizes.

Good luck, have fun!

Gerry
Electrics: Telemaster, RV-6 1/4 scale, Wingo. Gas: 1/4 scale Sig clipped wing cub, Balsa USA 1/4 scale Super Cub, Curtiss Hawk (Great Planes ARF). Finishing a Fokker D-VIII and a 1/3 scale Morane Saulnier A1
Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 AM
CoytAW

to take it back to the start i want to tell you right off that the supercub is a pain in the butt to fly but it refuses to die. i think the most expensive thing i ever did to mine was buy elmer's and gorilla glue to re-foam a large hole in the wing. and that was because i dropped a pole thru it while cleaning the garage. but you cant fly in more than 2 mph wind and it's hard as hell to keep upright even under that. i would get a high-wing with 4 channels, especially since you probably have reverse-controls figured out. but dont go for spitfires and stuff. they dont roll like you want. if you really want something acrobatic get a miniultrastick. but ONLY (ONLY) after you get flight time with a high-wing trainer. i dont have recommendations but if you want the supercub be prepared for a somewhat aggravating time. i find it hard to steer by rudder. just remember: get a cessna. or something like it. i found that warbirds are hard to handle. i had one parkzone spitfire and didnt really enjoy it. it looked good though. the warbirds arent as acrobatic as things like the MUS which flies just as well upside down as right side up. so yeah, if you have much prior experience with ailerons get something with ailerons. rudder flying is different from ailerons.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
stumpjumper69
My Feedback: (1)

OK Fair enough, I guess I knew the answer all along I just needed to hear it I will order myself a Hobby Zone Super Cub and put the time in. I just found out a friend of mine recently got into flying and he has a few planes so I might already have someone to learn from here in town He also recommended the Super Cub and suggested I go ahead and buy a few replacement props with my first order
OK now I have some specific questions about the Super Cub - is it safe to put in an 11.1V 2100mAh 3-cell lipo battery with the stock configuration or will I need to make other changes? I am coming from an electric car and truck background here, and I like to have a lot of hi-cap batteries for my cars to prolong run times
Old 11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
SackOHammers

I know you'll have to remove a jumper to enable the Low Voltage Cutoff so you don't over discharge your LiPO. Not sure about whether the motor will last or not. Go to the Supercub thread and ask.... its in the Electric Aircraft Universe section, but instead of going to "Electric Training" go to the "Parkflyers" section and look for the SuperCub thread with 179 pages of posts. You'll probably get your question answered more thoroughly there... or if you read you'll find the answer is probably already posted.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 PM
cjg

Coytaw, don't know why you think the SC is a pain to fly. I fly in steady winds up to about 10 mph. It doesn't handle gusty winds very well that bounce it around. As for flying upright, properly trimmed it practically stays upright by itself. I can let go of the controls at the top of a hammerhead it it will return to almost straight and level flight on its own, even without the ACT.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
CoytAW

oh im not bashing the plane i think it is perfect for a beginner because it refuses to quit but i have had troubles getting altitude in winds without the thing taking off downwind. it's not powerful enough. in my opinion. thats my opinion, though. dont take it to heart. like i said earlier, its perfect for beginners. i started on it and found i do better with a four-channel Cessna than a three channel. but yeah i mean if you can fly it without trouble then maybe you're a better pilot! good luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
CoytAW

just a quick note: i found it is a good idea to detach the motor mount to put a rubber band around the motor and mount. the mount sometimes breaks easily and you dont want the motor freewheeling inside the compartment. it takes like five seconds to do this so i would highly recommend it. i do it for all (two) of my planes now. saves props, too, if the mount breaks.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:46 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: CoytAW

oh im not bashing the plane i think it is perfect for a beginner because it refuses to quit but i have had troubles getting altitude in winds without the thing taking off downwind. it's not powerful enough. in my opinion.
Ah, but a beginner should not be flying in windy conditions, anyway! A beginner's first flights should be on calm days. And I mean CALM! Winds of more than 1 or 2 MPH introduce another variable and make an already difficult task (learning to fly) even more difficult.

My advice to beginners is to be patient and wait for a day with NO wind.

Later, when you have some experience, a little wind can actually be fun. But when learning to fly, wind is your enemy.

- Jeff
Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 PM
rolieharris

Jeff;
Sorry about your loss to Clyde
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 AM
jdetray

Hi Rollie,

Thanks. It was good to get at least one win in the playoffs after losing a few in the first round.

By the way, in your info, it says "Clyse, OH." You might want to fix that!

- Jeff
Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 AM
rolieharris

Thanks Jeff. Will do.
Rolie
Old 11-21-2007, 03:17 PM
EvaderMaster

ORIGINAL: stumpjumper69

OK Fair enough, I guess I knew the answer all along I just needed to hear it I will order myself a Hobby Zone Super Cub and put the time in. I just found out a friend of mine recently got into flying and he has a few planes so I might already have someone to learn from here in town He also recommended the Super Cub and suggested I go ahead and buy a few replacement props with my first order
OK now I have some specific questions about the Super Cub - is it safe to put in an 11.1V 2100mAh 3-cell lipo battery with the stock configuration or will I need to make other changes? I am coming from an electric car and truck background here, and I like to have a lot of hi-cap batteries for my cars to prolong run times

If I recall the supercub has a 400 geared motor, anyhow it doesn't really matter because I wouldn't run a 3cell on any 150, 350 ,400 geared or not. A 2 cell would be your best bet.

Good decision on getting the supercub, Many people train on those and you should get a hang of it quite easily. I saw some suggestions about going from supercub to warbird... Now, not to get ahead of yourself but that really is not a smart move because if I'm correct the supercub does not have ailerons. I'd reccomend something with ailerons before a low-wing style fighter. Just some words of advice.

If you want you could actually start out with something like the e-starter, a bit more a hand-full then the supercub but it can be achieved by the enthusiastic beginner. Of course with the help of some good equipment with dual rates, and expo. It could be done!

Edit- oh, I see you already bought the supercub. Verywell, you should do great with that.

Happy Flying

EM
Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
CoytAW

i agree. low-wing planes are hard. and evader, if you meant me i was unsuccessfully trying to convey that fighters are bad beginners. i personally learned to fly on a 4-channel version of my plane (he modded it). the thing about the supercub is that it is soooo tough. the one i own has crashed on every flight and it still works. only it has a bit of tape and its on its third propeller. but yeah after you master this supercub go on to high-wing 4-channels. sorry if im confusing you. if i am then ignore me.

happy flying!!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
mycarisaser

I bought my wife a supercub and put as switch on it so it can run on a 8cell(we never used a 7 cell on it b/c its to slow) nimh battery or a 3s lipo. It has plunty of power with a 3s lipo. My wife likes the slower speeds of the 8 cell nimh b/c she just started flying. I like the lipo.

I started with a super cub. I flew it for about 2 weeks and went to a 4 channel warbird with out much issue. Plane orientation was my worst problem but I was lucky b/c I stayed high enough to make a few mistakes(came really close a few times).

The supercub is a great little plane
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
JZD

"Do yourself a big favor and stay away from the ParkZone Warbirds for a while. They are not the best flyers, even for those that know what they're doing."

Since when?
Parkzone not only manufactures fantastic planes, they are turning out some of the best warbirds available on the market today. I''ve flown several different manufactures' version of the Corsair and Parkzone's model has them all beat hands down! I now own and fly Parkzone's Messerschmitt, Corsair, T-28 Trojan and hope to maiden the 'The Jug" as soon as the weather breaks here in northern Ohio.

You're entitled to your opinion but my opinion is that you're wrong about Parkzone's Warbird lineup!

Chuck.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

stumpjumper, there's nothing annoying about asking. It's annoying if you ask and don't follow the advice from those who've already gone ahead of you.

Worse mistake is thinking you can fly a warbird from the drop of a hat. Never happened or happens with real pilots, they take it step by step. And so should anyone starting out.

p.s. you can still make strafing runs and machine gun noises with a Cub. LOL!

p.s.s. the SC comes in two versions, if you have a tx, I'd say go with the BNF version. It has the standard equipment in it. Unlike the RTF which uses proprietary equipment, like 5 wire servos. May take some modding to fit a larger pack, and then you'd have to deal with the weight and CG issues too.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 AM
blade944

Holy resurected old thread, batman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.