Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

NooB! Here

Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 AM
ChrisM101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NooB! Here

I will say I am absolute Noob when it comes to R/C.

I ignorantly, (or maybe not,) had my wife order me a fairly advanced aircraft for my birthday.
THE Banana Hobby Blitz RC large scale A-10 EDF with Twin 64mm fans.

Now I know everyone will say you'll crash, blah blah. I agree. So I am not even going to fly it.

Im using it as my incentive to properly learn as much as I can with a lesser aircraftand simulator programs before i even attempt it.
Ive been in here for several days reading and absorbing as much as I can.

I also managed to try a few of the free sims on PC, using an oldanalog game pad, which isnt going well. (the left stick never calibrates properly so there is always some yaw.

I could never get the hang of RC desk pilot, my aircraft always seemed too small to recognize orientation so i would fly away and lawn dart it.

Then i tried Clearview Demo, which I like quite a bit, but it only had a few minutes before it locked.

I dont think i can warrant the cost of the more expensive Realflight g4-5 stuff at this point.

But at $40 im still thinking about Clearview RC

next is the Trainer. Obviously there is a great amount of information on trainers here. Ill keep sorting through that as best i can.

I think my biggest realization is how hard it is for me to orient the aircraft when its coming toward me. Any massive failure in the sims ive had was due to this at a low level. I have a friend that keeps telling me to buy a cheap RC Car and drive it toward me over and over until i feel comfortable with the change of left/right coming at , versus going away.

So I suppose that Whenever Flying a real RC, its probably a good idea to orient ones self to land it going away from you although distance then becomes a factor as to how well you can view the landing.

I guess Ill go shop a trainer and see if i can slide that under the radar of my wife.

Feel Free to Criticize and offer suggestions.
Thanks,
Chris M.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NooB! Here

Hi Chris,

Your wife sounds like a wonderful person, but you are wise to set aside the A-10 until you know how to fly.

Another free simulator is FMS:
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

It's pretty nice, and the price is right.

It is often not possible to be flying away from yourself when landing your plane. I would not recommend trying to do that. Out in the real world, the layout of your flying field and the direction of the wind may not allow it anyway, so you are far better off learning to fly your plane no matter its orientation. This takes practice, practice, and more practice. A simulator can be very helpful, but there is no substitute for actual flying.

You will be best served by getting a stable, slow-flying trainer-type plane. The idea of a trainer is that it gives you enough time to react and make corrections during all stages of a flight. A good trainer is also self-correcting to some extent. Simply letting go of the control sticks will tend to bring a trainer back to straight and level flight.

Even so, landings are challenging. If you can find a local club or an experienced pilot to help you, that would be the way to go. If not, you can still learn on your own. You must be emotionally prepared for the likelihood of crashing and then repairing your plane. Few R/C pilots learn to fly without a few damaging crashes. It's not fun when that happens, but you can't let it get you down. It is a part of the learning experience for almost all of us. We have ALL been there!

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
ChrisM101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, she is Great, its opur 3rd anniversary today, so i have to be good in return.
Im looking at an Easystar or similar clone to start with.
I have some huge 50 Acre mowed fields i will fly over nothing but occasional cows.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:45 PM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your flying field sounds great. The third-biggest mistake for first time pilots is trying to learn in too small an area. You need room to fly straight and level for a bit before you make a turn.

The second-biggest mistake for first time flyers is attempting to fly on a windy day. Resist that temptation! Wait for a completely calm day. Or fly in the early morning or late afternoon after the wind has died down. Even a very light wind makes learning much more difficult. Later, with more experience, some wind can be fun, but not when you are learning.

You have already avoided the first-biggest mistake: trying to fly a non-trainer as your first plane.

- Jeff
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM
ChrisM101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any thoughts on the Dynam HAWK SKY from nitroplanes? Not really a plane buta 4 chpowered glider. But It seems to be a very affordable and popular trainer.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 AM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris -

I don't know anything about that plane. Hopefully, someone who has experience with it will add their comments to this thread.

- Jeff
Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have never seen a Hawk Sky but have heard pretty good reports.

Here are the planes I normally recommend for new pilots

Large field - at least 600X600 feet

HobbyZone Super Cub
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300

Multiplex Easy Star
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=MPU13203

If you are interested in gliders

Parkzone Radian
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4700

Indoor or dead calm conditions

Vapor
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1100

Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 AM
ChrisM101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hobby Zone Supercub looks interesting. But how surviveable is it being prop and engine up front? should i order spare props and such initially?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Easy Star does a much better job of protecting the prop.  However the Super Cub has proven to be an excellent self training plane.  Yes, a few extra props would be a good idea.

Also pick up some medium regular CA and Accelorator ( kicker)  as this is the glue of preference for this plane.

A second battery is a must,  so you you can charge while you fly.  I had 4 battery packs when I first started.  I hate to be on the ground.

You might also enjoy the drop module, once you have your flying under control. This drops bombs, parachutes and the like.  Lots of fun, especially if you have young kids around.

I would encourage you to buy from the local hobby store.  The will be there to help and advise you in a way that internet suppliers just can't do.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 AM
ChrisM101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great advice, and Id love to be able to get it locally, but It would be over an hour drive to a Local shop.
Atleast i think there is one there. Used to be a Hobby Town, but it moved, then it moved, again, and again, and yet again.
Im not even sure what part of the city its in now.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One last thing.  Do a search on the term Elapor Soup.   Elapor is a Multiplex brand name for the foam used to make the Easy Star.  It is very similar to the ZFoam used on the Cub.  You use hot water to help decompress the foam after a crash.  Read up.  I think you will find it helpul.  works on both types of foam.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd vote for the Easy Star, since you have a large area to fly in... basically it is a powered glider, so it almost flies itself if you get into trouble.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 AM
ChrisM101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

heded to hobbytown in the city today if i can find it and see what they have..
Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
budfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

White Gorilla Glue works wonders for SuperCub repairs.

Spray a bit of water on the surface, not a lot. Than do the repair with the White Gorilla Glue, use clear packing tape to secure the repair. The White Gorilla Glue will foam so do not use a lot.
Once the glue is dried you can shave off the excess.

Works great!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:29 AM
eagle33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned to fly with the Hawk Sky about 9 months ago.  I don't see how one could beat it as a first plane and an excellent trainer.  It's four channel and very forgiving.  For example, last summer I was able to find a thermal every now and then and the Hawk behaves like a sail plane.  Just cut the throttle and play in the thermal.  Also if you are high enough and get into trouble, you can cut the throttle, center the right stick, and the plane will nearly recover by itself. 
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't forget to read the 6 Keys to success for new pilots
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2840882/tm.htm