Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Memberships to Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Techman-59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memberships to Clubs

First off I want to make it clear that Iam NOTtrying to start a argument here, I just want to know why so many people want beginners to join a Club and Join a National Membership into RC Planes? I see the benifts in a local club,People may need the tutorship of an experinced flyer to get in the air and also learn the equitte of flying around other planes.Plus the ins and outs of the hobby.But I am more of a "loner" when Ido my Hobbies, Ilike to do this for relaxation and it is a good therapy for me to go out and be alone and relax.
Like Isaid I am not trying to start a argument but seriouslythe Hobby of Flying for me and a few other beginners Ihave spoke with feel as tho if you don't "JOINUP" you may be looked at as a outsider! I am SUPERgrateful for all of the help that Ihave been given on this site by many members so please do not take this as a "Snub" and Ihope that I can continue to get and give help where and when Ican.
What am Imising here?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM
DanVI

Default RE: Memberships to Clubs

I have a few reasons why I joined both the AMA and the local club.  Just started flying in July of this year.  The instructions in my first plane mentioned the AMA and I visited their site.  I thought the idea of having insurance was a very good one, so I joined.  Also on that site was a list of clubs in the area.  I did not know there was a very nice flying field just a few miles from my house.  I contacted the club looking for an instructor to teach me.  For me this has been a great experience.  He helped me and encouraged me every step of the way, and it was a lot of steps.  I did not know how much I did not know.   He corrected things that could become bad habits, and showed me the correct way to fly.  My first solo flight, without the buddy box was earlier this month, and I do very well now.

While training at their club field I got to meet some of the other members, all of them very helpful, eager to offer advice and assistance, just a great bunch of guys. This  companionship and camaraderie prompted me to inquire about membership in the club.  I was very happy to be voted in as a new member.  Even on the weekends the field is not over crowded with planes.

Dan
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Learning to fly RC planes isn't particularly easy, nor is it intuitive. Most RC pilots learn more quickly when working together with other pilots. The club system allows us to get together to help one another on a regular basis and to share knowledge of flying, tuning, assembling, and repairing our planes.

The AMA is a national extension of our local clubs. If you go to fly at an AMA chartered club field in Iowa, the rules and safety regulations will be very, very similar to your typical club field in Georgia, Indiana, or Oregon. Contest rules will be almost exactly the same in all of these locations, so if you go to a pattern meet or a combat contest while you're on vacation, you'll know what to expect.

Your local flying club helps you learn and share knowledge with pilots near your home town. The AMA is the club that helps you learn and share knowledge with RC pilots throughout the country. Your local club helps assure that you have a good, safe place to fly and enjoy your aircraft. The AMA helps assure that you have radio frequencies available to use for your hobby, and that all of our collective interests as RC pilots are represented to government, industry, and the public at large.

Membership in a local flying club isn't mandatory to enjoy RC flying, nor is membership in the AMA. Many pilots exist as "lone wolves" outside of the AMA club system, and I'd assume they still enjoy the hobby. I can no longer imagine avoiding the club system myself, however. My enjoyment of RC flying has been magnified exponentially over the last six years as I've met hundreds of new friends who share a common love of model aviation, participated in dozens of contests, fun fly events, club functions and parties, auctions, fund raisers, air shows, and demonstrations. There are some days when hanging out with my fellow pilots and talking about airplanes and engines and sharing stories about all of the dumb stuff that we've done is as much fun as the flying itself.

The idea of joining a flying club and then joining a national RC organization seemed weird to me when I first got involved in the hobby. Why pay $55 per year for a club membership and another $58 per year for an AMA card when I can just go down to the local soccer field? Well, it turned out that there were a lot of great reasons including being able to fly when kids are playing soccer, making new friends, flying with experienced pilots who can help me with questions and problems, seeing and learning about different kinds of RC planes I didn't even know existed, being able to go to special flying events at AMA clubs and being able to participate, and a lot more.

I've spent a lot of money since I first got involved in RC flying six years ago. At no time has it ever even crossed my mind that I wasn't getting a bargain every time I renewed my club membership and paid my AMA dues.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

People mostly want you to join a club to make getting into the hobby as easy and positive as it can be for you.

A lot of work goes into keeping a flying field in good shape, so people like you to join the club if you are going to be flying at their field.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I'm not always that social but I like the feeling of belonging to a club and having a say in what goes on. I've made some really good friends in my RC clubs.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Techman-59

First off I want to make it clear that Iam NOTtrying to start a argument here, I just want to know why so many people want beginners to join a Club and Join a National Membership into RC Planes? I see the benifts in a local club,People may need the tutorship of an experinced flyer to get in the air and also learn the equitte of flying around other planes.Plus the ins and outs of the hobby.But I am more of a "loner" when Ido my Hobbies, Ilike to do this for relaxation and it is a good therapy for me to go out and be alone and relax.
Like Isaid I am not trying to start a argument but seriouslythe Hobby of Flying for me and a few other beginners Ihave spoke with feel as tho if you don't "JOINUP" you may be looked at as a outsider! I am SUPERgrateful for all of the help that Ihave been given on this site by many members so please do not take this as a "Snub" and Ihope that I can continue to get and give help where and when Ican.
What am Imising here?
Apparently you do see the reason peoplerecommend beginners join clubs. In the begining all of us can benefit from some organized help and some understanding of safety practices, etc.

Aside from that, many of us find the social aspect of flying as enjoyable as the flying itself. I enjoy flying a lot more when other members of my club are at the flyingfield.Some of my closest friends today are members of my club. I would never have met them if we had not both been part of the same club. To me that has been a HUGE benefit of being part of a club.

Group projects can be fun too. Our club is organizing a group build over the winter. New builers will have the benefit of hands-on help from experienced builders. We also organize club events such as contests, picnics, and the like. These are fun too.

But if you like to fly alone, fly alone. There is nothing wrong with that. Whatever works for you as long as you fly safely and don't impose your activity on other people or place others at risk. Flying in public parks, for example can impose your activty on people who may prefer not to be around RC airplanes. And having RC airplanes flying in the area can place people at risk, no matter how good a pilot you are or how careful you are. They never agreed to that risk. At a club field everyone is there for flying and everyone there understands the risk.

As to being an outsider, recognize that,if you are not a member of the club youare an outsider. That is the definition of outsider, someone who is not part of the group. There is nothing wrong with being an outsider as long as you don't mind be thought of and treated as an outsider. If this makes you uncomfortable then join the club or fly alone.

You can't be an outsider and expect to be treated like you are part of the club. You can't have it both ways.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
aeajr

Did you join a club?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:47 AM
phillipmorris

Locally we don't have a club, is one not too far in Morrison, great group there includes the Quad Cities and surrounding area. I did belong to that one and just might again, but its a drive away.

Amazingly our current group of flyers last couple years I personally met each one and we have bonded together, just over a half dozen of us fly near daily when weather permits. Most of them are brand new to the hobby, and learning quickly.

Another unusual thing I rarely ran into the other flyers, so really enjoying our newly formed group, having fantastic fun, I personally enjoy flying with others, infact a passerby party will likely have the controls in their hand more than happy to give them a first hands on rc experience. Love this hobby...

Joining a club is certainly the way to go, but forming this new group has been more than rewarding...

But if flying alone is your thing, thats fine as well, the rc flying is what its all about, enjoy..

Techman-59 you are sharing your experience tho online as well, any info appreciated and questions, certainly someone likely will answer, most important, have fun...wish you well..
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
aeajr

Check for other clubs in your area:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

There are over 2400 clubs in the USA.