Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

$99 to $109 Hobby Kings Mini Moa 2 Meter Sailplane, floater

Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

$99 to $109 Hobby Kings Mini Moa 2 Meter Sailplane, floater

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 AM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default $99 to $109 Hobby Kings Mini Moa 2 Meter Sailplane, floater

Just purchased this puppie from one of our other flyers as has a larger ship. This beauty not only looks cool with the seagull wings but flys quite well, and should thermal easily. Uses a sizeable 2200 Lipo, this one tended to be slightly tail heavy so battery is in the forward position.

Weather was too windy and most of us didn't fly last night, but settled briefly and did manage a launch and landing, was excellent handling and give it room on the long glide landed on the grass effortlessly. Winds picked up so just the brief flight.

Have flown some gliders, sailplanes and tell right away this ones going to be a fun flyer, defintely.

Hope to make a brief clip on its easy hand launch later on. Very easy flyer, looking forward to fun ahead.

Again love the looks of this one. Its design is from the 30's and made altitude records for its time.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12885
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 AM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: $99 to $109 Hobby Kings Mini Moa 2 Meter Sailplane, floater

Only thing that puts it slightly past the beginner catagory is has ailerons so abit responsive and you should have aileron experience prior to flying this one. Any glider flying, and you will have zero issues.

I used a simplistic DX5 spectrum setup, we did have to move the settings up a notch for enough elevator as clevis and also more throw on the servo. Zeroed things in and it was a piece of cake to fly even with the gusty conditions. Trims are about 20 clicks on the DX5 so put the neutrals on the 10th click. Now all handles well even in the low throw DX5 switch. Life would be easier with a computer rig, but nice to know handles easily here as well.

All smiles on this one...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 AM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A neat note, this one has a wheel in the front of the fuse, possible to pavement land, tho would add some protection on scuffing the wing tips, very scale like plane, a winner...
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 AM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have yet to fly a glider, they are slow, easy to overpower nose up to a stall, so keep things level, perhaps just over half throttle on an easy launch into the wind. Tho I've flown several gliders, with winds going on even early this morning the plane did turn on me as will show later on the launch clip, it went out smoothly and no issues, powering up let the nose rise, simply lowered throttle with correct elevator and ailerons inputs and it came right back with ease, but again I've flown these. Hope to have the short clip uploaded later tonight after work.

They take loads of room for the landing, tho I landed mine at my feet they take an exceptional long glide coming in even with power off, so use a sizeable area on the maidens, later can crimp things to your ability, as often fly in a soccer field only 1 block wide, easy.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice looking plane.
I started out with an EP 3 Ch. Accipiter Baddius (AB in AB Bob) from NitroPlanes.
Have since gone to all glow (love the smell and sound).
I still have the AB, maybe I should dust it off and see if all the packing tape I used for repairs is still holding up!
Hope you enjoy your plane.
Bob
Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 AM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input, a 3 channel is likely easier to start off with, tho these are friendly flyers they can overcontrol easy for the newbie. Did hit a light thermal last evening and up several minutes. These are not new to me, but like the looks of this one with the bent wings. Was windy last evening but winds finally subsided abit. Can't wait for an exceptional day, fun to see them reach amazing heights.

Very brief clip at last on the easy launch, was quite breezy as can hear in the video. Did fly it near 20 MPH but thats abit much for this gentle ship, wait for calmer weather for best performance..

Easy To Launch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk0VT3YFBMU
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM
phillipmorris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was finding some light lift after 9 AM, abit breezy, getting rusty on thermal hunting, been awhile. Pulled over on a side country road wind coming perpendicular to the blacktop, on landing went under the wires, along the roadway crimping the wind and back into it last moment landed right on the edge, after all don't want to damage the new corn, hah. Was great...