Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:09 PM
falconhob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I start?

After seeing electrics successfully flown at the worlds, I'd like to learn a lot more about them. I fly Masters pattern, and have 23+ years R/C experience, but almost none in electrics. About 8 years ago I had an electric hots with an astro 05 FAI and 7 1400 SCR cells, a Tekin charger and flew that successfully. Needless to say, things have changed A LOT since then!

Is there a book, website, etc. where I can "start from scratch" to get a theoretical understanding and grow through to today's current technologies? Once I get past postive, negative, and MAH, I'm pretty much done

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2003, 04:58 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Well, if you have 23 years of experience and are a patter whiz and all that fancy stuff, check out the Radical RC Edge 540.
www.radicalrc.com
It'll do just about everything the big boys do. Just a little slower.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The technology is advancing so quickly that any book would be long out of date by the time it hit the shelves! There's a good FAQ at that other RC forum site, but I'm not allowed to mention it here.

Unfortunately, this site is still a bit lean on electric information and expertise because that other site is a lot more popular. We're working on that. The best I can tell you right now is to keep digging. Read threads even if you don't understand them; sometimes if you go far enough, someone explains something Search for threads by me. I'm a windbag, and tend to explain things in excruciating detail
Old 08-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

LOL Matt.
He's got a point though, he's very knowlegable when it comes to the technical side of the electrics.

You could do what a lot of us have. Find a plane you like, find someone who has the same thing (that flys good), and get the same setup. I found that I could read forever, but when I finally dove in I learned quite a bit more.

Besides, you can always ask questions here.

Jason
Old 08-15-2003, 01:31 PM
sierra gold

I will have to second the concept of deciding on a plane and going for it.

I returned to RC a few months ago after an 11 year hiatus. I read this and the "other forum" for about 2 months and evntually confused myself with info overload.

Jumped in and bought my first plane and purchased the gear that others were using in it with apparent success.

Once I started assembling the equipment it all started to come together. Only then did I learn what I was uninformed about and could seek help here.

I'm not into pattern (too old and the brain doesn't operate that fast), but I've read good things about Gary Wright's E3D plane and he uses relatively inexpensive "RC car can motors" with good results.

http://gwmp.net/e3d/default.htm

Sierra Gold
Old 08-15-2003, 07:15 PM
falconhob
My Feedback: (1)

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses guys. I've read through that Ezone faq, and rummaged around the net for more info (I'm a data hound...) and come up with quite a bit actually. I'll do a search on "windbag" and see what comes up (j/k! )

Found a good article in quiet flyer on the li-polys, and still working through understanding how brushless motors work, now I just have to figure out what size I want to jump in at for the hands on learning.

Thank you very much for your help!