Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Good (or bad) flying habits or set-up?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Good (or bad) flying habits or set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good (or bad) flying habits or set-up?

I hope some will help me out with some habits that I have. I don't have access to a trainer or instructor yet or even a coach. Maybe some is normal, characteristic of planes, bad habits or even my plane set-up. Hopefully this helps others as well and don't be afraid to post up if ya want similar help. I fly a small bi-wing albatross by flyzone. 3 channels.

1. First off I tend to still "only do one thing at a time" I tend to leave the throttle pretty steady and when making turns I tend to turn first and THEN feed in some elevator up.

2. I tend to turn left far more often than right. Maybe this is my plane because it tends to dive a lot more in a right turn and I have to give some left rudder to come out of a right turn. If I let go after a left turn it levels right out. If I let off after a right turn it takes a LONG time to level out.

I am trying to work on both , and have lots more to come.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:15 PM
guver

Default RE: Good (or bad) flying habits or set-up?

2. Left vs. right turns again.

It seems that I can make a very nice left turn , start the turn , mix in some up elevator and then fly right out level or make a nice sweeping turn at will. I can also make a nice quick sharp turn to the left. Let's just say that I can't do this on right turns , they are very sloppy.

This could be the way I move my right hand?
The plane?

As far as the plane is concerned it seems to have equal amounts of rudder , but when trimmed out the rudder is not exactly centered either. I'm not sure why. It also reminds me of a servo that doesn't quite center very well very quickly , but on the bench it seems just fine. The elevator also isn't moving at all when the rudder is moved on the bench.

I wonder if it is the way I move the sticks with my right hand? Or it could be the prop angle? causing the rudder to not be centered to achieve straight lines? I also don't have a expensive tx , so what ya see is what you get, no mixing or any adjustments. Only trims , that's it.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 PM
guver

3. I tend to leave throttle steady (maybe this is ok? I also tend to use the throttle to climb and descend in addition to the elevator. On average my flights start out at around half throttle and finish up at WOT because of batery voltage/motor heat/power.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
guver

4. When the plane is far away I can't quite follow it's orientation without wagging back and forth. The wind can quickly and easily turn this thing so I can't  tell which way is what. I tend to not fly in a straight line for a long time for this reason. I focus just fine and don't mentally lose track , but rather visually lose track until I make a movement in order to tell which way it's oriented again and then as long as I'm bringing it toward me then I'm in good shape again. I literally can't see the colors, shape, or direction, ect.

All I can tell is that the tiny dot is now moving that direction, maybe it is as simple as I am just too far away? The worst seems to be when I have a side-view of it , and can't see any top or bottom of wings. This also tends to happen even when it isn't a spec in the sky, it could happen at half the distance as well. Higher altitude is better only when it is directly over me. Higher altitude is worse when it is far from me.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It took me a while to accept this, but centered control surfaces and equal amounts of travel mean almost nothing. The plane is moving through spiraling air, so left and right rudder will have different amounts of reaction. Same goes for aileron right/left. Just something to think about.

When I started flying, I was really into making perfect turns. I started out flying 'the pattern' - down the runway, turn out, fly back parallel to runway, turn back in, etc. I did this trying to keep every banking turn at the same angle. Once the bank angle looked good, I tried to do the same while maintaining altitude. Once that looked good, I turned around and flew the other direction.

Once both directions looked OK, I started flying figure 8's: Fly the pattern, but before you get to the centerline, cross over the field (so you're making right turns at one end and left turns at the other).

If you're getting disoriented, you're flying that particular plane too far out. Bigger planes are easier to see (and react slower) and can be flown further out.

Where is LaGrange with respect to Cincinnati? I'm new to the state, but would be happy to come and fly with you some time (well, I guess we'd have to meet at a field somewhere 'cause I fly bigger stuff )

Sounds like you want to polish up your flying skills - I appreciate that. Keep practicing, don't get hard on yourself, and remember to have fun. You will (hopefully) be flying planes for years to come, so enjoy the learning process. That means a lot coming from me, lol

Feel free to PM with any questions too, I love this hobby and like to help
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I wouldn't worry too much about where you're at with throttle management. For now, more throttle for climbs and less for descents is probably enough.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM
guver

I appreciate the response. I knew this may be difficult without actually watching me or the plane.

It sounds like perhaps I shouldn't worry too much about these details and just continue to practice , practice, practice. One thing is for sure , I am consistent with habits and am getting very used to this particular plane/radio.

I guess I just don't want to develop any real bad habits without knowing since they are hard to break. I've done quite a bit of "training" and may times it is best to allow one to figure stuff out for oneself.

Maybe I've been watching too many PRO videos too, I sure enjoy 3-D vids. I hope I could get that good some day.

Two things I am nervous about too:

A. I have a friend who wants me to instruct already and he hasn't flown anything yet, not even a sim. I'm afraid of crashing HIS plane , but he knows he'll crash it anyways.

B. I'm a little nervous about adding the 4th channel right now , so I bought another 3 channel plane. (a lot of the good planes look to be 4+ channels)

We are about 150-200 miles apart maybe. Clicking on one of my adds may tell. I'm up closer to Cleveland.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: guver

The wind can quickly and easily turn this thing so I can't tell which way is what. I tend to not fly in a straight line for a long time for this reason. I focus just fine and don't mentally lose track , but rather visually lose track until I make a movement in order to tell which way it's oriented again and then as long as I'm bringing it toward me then I'm in good shape again. I literally can't see the colors, shape, or direction, ect.

All I can tell is that the tiny dot is now moving that direction, maybe it is as simple as I am just too far away? The worst seems to be when I have a side-view of it , and can't see any top or bottom of wings. This also tends to happen even when it isn't a spec in the sky, it could happen at half the distance as well. Higher altitude is better only when it is directly over me. Higher altitude is worse when it is far from me.
Isn't the micro Albatross by Flyzone intended primarily for indoors like a gymnasium. Congratulations for doing so well flying it outdoors when contending even with a little wind. Any outdoor flying should be with NO wind (don't make it hard on yourself).

You might find the following thread helpful ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236624 ... outdoor video on page 55 #818; gymnasium video on page 57 #847; gynasium video on page 58 # 858

Also this thread ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322219
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
guver

Yes, it is for indoor or maybe 3mph max, maybe 5 mph. Thanks, I am very used to it. I'm on those two threads as well.

I just happenend to put plane no.6 in the air yesterday and have about 8 flights on it. I think most of the trouble i'm having must be in the plane itself since this one acts worse then plane no. 2 that I was flying.

Left turn actually wants to climb (explained by: it does raise the elevator on the bench when left rudder is to max position). Right turn dives terribly. Other than that it flies almost as well as plane no. 2. I will replace motor in plane 2 pretty soon.

I did order my second plane and it'll be easy to fly. It is 3 channel as well and I'll jump in with both feet. It's the flylite by great planes.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Swift427

I did order my second plane and it'll be easy to fly. It is 3 channel as well and I'll jump in with both feet. It's the flylite by great planes.
Besides $55 cost of the FlyLite by Great Planes ... how much do you figure the additional cost for other required items via HK or your preference assuming one already has a Spektrum DX. Would be interested to hear what brand items you'd recommend for purchase such as: servos, ESC, motor, battery.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
guver

Well, I got the rx/r version ($109) because I don't want to have to spec out a power system yet. (I'd be fine to do that for a car/truck , but not planes yet) I also don't want to mount servos and stuff. I figured I can handle mounting the RX

I know the rx/r version will come out costing more, but I am in a hurry to get this plane in the air. I'll bet you can get a small bl motor and esc for $20-$30 maybe. It is only an 8 amp esc I think. I also wanted BL power since I keep burnig up brushed motors on my albatross.

I got the plane out of the box tonight and am working on it. Sinc this is my "bad habit" thread I hope that a lot of my bad habits might even go away with this plane. Everyone seems to like how it flies slow and docile. I think I will really like that and I also like that it is very light.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Ithink if you go to a 4 channel you will find flying easier than the 3 channel. You will find yourself not using the rudder unless it's on the ground. The only time in the air I touch rudder is if I want the plane to look goofy or fine tuning my landing approach. The first plane Iflew was the UM T-28, full 4 channels, good up to 10 MPH winds. That little plane has hit the ground so many times it looks war torn, but still flies nicely. It will probably fly even better is I replace the prop shaft, its a little bent from too many ground poundings. Ihave about 25 flights on it and havent replaced a thing.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: acdii
I think if you go to a 4 channel you will find flying easier than the 3 channel. You will find yourself not using the rudder unless it's on the ground.
Don't follow your thinking as the FlyLite by Great Planes doesn't have ailerons, just rudder and elevator (and of course throttle). It sounds like you are suggesting that he might have been better to spend considerably more money and get a 4-channel aircraft like the T-28 instead of the relatively inexpensive 3-channel FlyLite Slow Flyer, which could easily be upgraded to a speedier plane as he is still deciding what power plant to purchase that suits his flight passion for this aircraft.

I think you're missing something here. I have the impression what he presently wants is a relatively inexpensive 3-channel somewhere between a micro (like his current FlyZone Albatros) weighing only a couple ounces and something weighing 25 ounces like the SuperCub.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Swift427

I got the plane out of the box tonight and am working on it. Sinc this is my ''bad habit'' thread I hope that a lot of my bad habits might even go away with this plane. Everyone seems to like how it flies slow and docile. I think I will really like that and I also like that it is very light.
An excellent parkflyer beginner choice ... will take some licks, but soon flying again with minimal repair expense.

I like what I see about this slow flyer that doesn’t look like a Slo-V with or GWS Slow Stick, but rather more like a plane (MiniCub or SuperCub). Has spec for wing loading of 4.0-4.44 oz/sq ft and typical slow-fly dihedral.
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es..._II/TH27G8.htm
This is typical for a slow flyer, but it doesn’t mean you can’t modify the wing with less dihedral for improved performance and maneuverability, especially if/when modifying with ailerons for 4 channel. Although, it's probably best/wiser to invest in a nice aileron controlled 4-channel trainer once mastering good 3-channel flying habits.

ElectriFly FlyLite Slow Flyer
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/great_planes/GPMA1107.html

SPECS: Wingspan: 35" (890mm)
Wing Area: 261 sq in (16.8 sq dm)
Wing Loading: 4.0 - 4.4 oz/sq ft (12 - 13 g/sq dm)
Weight: 7.2 - 8.0oz (205 - 225g)
Length: 29.5" (750mm)
Airfoil: Under camber high-wing mount
Center of Gravity Range: 2-1/8" (54mm) - 2-7/8" (73mm) from the
leading edge of the wing
Control Throws: Low Rate High Rate
Elevator 1/2" (13mm) 14° 3/4" (19mm) 21°
Rudder 3/4" (19mm) 17° 1-1/4" (32mm) 29°

Like the fact that they have spec’d out the wing area, wing load, CoG, and control throws even if wing load is less than desirable for some pilots flying habits. Don't think the Slo-V and Slow Stick even list those specs. This tells me that Great Planes considers this slow flyer a worthy contender and it looks more like a real plane than either the Slo-V or Slow Stick.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397023

Probably a good idea to get an extra wing or two when some extra money …
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYJH1&P=M
and an extra tail set or two with some of that extra cash flow …
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYJH3&P=M

Other outrunner options …
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/EFLM1150.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6547

Checkout this excellent FlyLite build thread by huckleberg … so far thirteen pages of good information ... AOK worthy indicator
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162073

This 3-channel slow flyer is an excellent ARF beginner choice for someone interested in doing some of the build themself. Another important, but often overlooked consideration is repairing any unfortunate damage ... it's about as easy and inexpensive on this lite flyer(8oz) constructed of AeroCell foam (fuselage) and Pro-Formance wing surfaces as any beginner plane on the market.

Please do keep posting here as you progress with your build and turning bad flying habits into good piloting habits. Hope this helps get the intent of your thread back on the FlyLite path.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
guver

VERY NICE , I like this plane. From what I'm used to is like comparing a fly to a bird. It's big and lazy , but still has plenty of power for me. I flew it almost an hr today.

It takes off in less than 10' nicely and I (a newb) had to use a very light touch on the controls. The worst thing for me was getting used to a full size TX , lol.

Landings are , well not yet. The grass seems too tall ay 3-4 inches.

My favorite thing so far is my battery selection: an old 2sx1200 mah 6C pack that I'd never use again. I flew first for 10 minutes then checked that it had over 50% left.

Next flight was a nice 20 minutes and was very cool 3 mph wind.

Next flight was 27 minutes and I did something I've never done before which was to use up the whole pack. I had so much fun and was so impressed that I lost track of mental timing the flight.

I would recommend not to use any less than 1000 mah in this plane unless indoors. That's coming from one who knows batts a lot better than planes.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Swift427

I would recommend not to use any less than 1000 mah in this plane unless indoors. That's coming from one who knows batts a lot better than planes.
Shouldn't it be ... "not to use any more than 1000 mah" of your 1200mAh pack or 84% of its rated capacity. Ditto, perhaps the hardest thing for parkflyers is mastering landings and minimizing bad landings and time/money spent making repairs. If I had it to do all over again I would have spent more time with an experienced parkflyer or maybe (MAYBE) joined a flying club and began my flying curve with a 4-channel electric aileron trainer with steerable wheel.

Like you and every other parkflyer the extra expense (quality 4-channel trainer, Spektrum DX, etc) is a definite deterrent from learning what I now believe is the best/right to learn, WITHOUT as much frustration, wrong habits and probably spending less money just purchasing one good used(or even new) 4-channel electric aileron trainer, purchased a new Spektrum DX and learn the right way from an experienced pilot.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
guver

Here's what I meant and should've typed. I don't recommend using a pack with less than 1000 mah capacity unless flying indoors.

As far as the "80% rule" I ignore it and use 3.5 volts / cell as "empty" regardless of how much capacity that is.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Swift427

This looks to be one easy going assembly project priced right for at a beginning parkflyer.

What are your items … brand motor(gear reduction?), prop, esc, servos, what mods, etc.
What’s the total flying weight with your 1200mAh pack. Any changes you’d recommend if you were starting again?

What minimum expensive item replacements would you recommend for being able to penetrate (handle a little more) some wind or is it about as good as it gets without considerable expense upgrade.

Have you crashed yet or had to get it out of a tree's grasp (damage and any repairs needed)

THANKS!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 PM
guver

My plane is all stock RX/R version because I didn't want to do any speccing out equipment of any mounting of any parts. The most I wanted was to stick the RX in. haha.

My plane weighs exactly 270 grams ready to fly and I like it just like it is. I don't have lots of experience , but right now I wouldn't change a thing. I can't imagine with the huge wing and lightweight this plane being happy in much wind at all.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
guver

1. I still have a habit of doing only 1 thing at a time , but since going to a full size TX with a better fell to the ticks I can mix them quite well now. Habit 1 will disappear soon I imagine.

2. Habit 2 was the plane really because this different plane is equal on R and L turns. Much nicer. Everything about it is more balanced , equal and easier to fly with very little stick input.

3. I still tend to leave the throttle alone for very long periods of time. I use 0-50% throttle a lot and have developed a new habit too. I look down at my left stick sometimes to see where it is. Silly.

4.Orientation habit is almost completely gone. I've only lost track maybe twice. Once was too dark at night and the other was flying straight at myself and I just lost it for some reason.

5. New habit (probably a bad one) I can take my eyes off this plane for many many seconds at a time. Set the TX down, swat flies, itch bugs, ect. I can talk to people and don't HAVE TO concentrate on the plane much at all. It is much more relaxing.

I suppose this should've been my first plane , but I have ordered third plane already yeha.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Swift427

Assume you are using the Spektrum DX 5i or something comparable for this 3 channel slow flyer.

So what do you figure is the total cost to get it airborne and what's your third plane? Hope I'm not being too nosey.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
guver

I'm using a cheap tactic radio that I got with an rtf skyfly 2. My third plane is the skyfly Max.

I just flew the flylite for around 45 minutes again. Strange I have no desire to be aggressive with it. I actually enjoy flying slow. I paid $109 for the plane and figure the Radio is worth around $20 and the batt around $5

I think I could do another for < $100. I can't land very well at all so the front is geting a few nicks in it from the prop , but no real crashes or damage yet.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Lnewqban

5. New habit (probably a bad one) I can take my eyes off this plane for many many seconds at a time. Set the TX down, swat flies, itch bugs, ect. I can talk to people and don't HAVE TO concentrate on the plane much at all.
Very bad habit indeed.

A plane (slow or fast) is to be flown at all times, even just until a second before crashing.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 AM
guver

I just realised the Max is 5th plane , not third. There's 2 more inbetween that I forgot. Will try them out soon enough.

3 skyfly2
4 blue plane from HK.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

5. New habit (probably a bad one) I can take my eyes off this plane for many many seconds at a time. Set the TX down, swat flies, itch bugs, ect. I can talk to people and don't HAVE TO concentrate on the plane much at all.
Very bad habit indeed. A plane (slow or fast) is to be flown at all times, even just until a second before crashing.
Another consideration of guver’s "New habit (probably a bad one)" is that with just the right amount of a slow breeze it’s possible for the FlyLite to almost stay in one place while airborne. That also tells me that guver’s piloting skill (throttle management) with this FlyLite is NOT too bad.

On the other hand if the plane was one of critterhunters Bullet Proof Strykers or one of Murdnunoc’s “HOW CRAZY CAN YOU MAKE IT?!?!” (F27 STRYKER) in “the pursuit of making the Stryker run faster, climb higher, and fly better” then even if you have eagle eyes glued to it constantly and are concentrating intently(can't even talk with a buddy, let alone think about anything else and yet you will still spend more time and money making repairs/mods than guver will with his number 5. new habit.

So, in fact guver's FlyLite is being "flown at all times" whereas, a Bullet Proof Stryker or a "How Crazy Can You Make It" Stryker is NOT being "flown at all times" when it crashes instead of staying airborne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.