Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Taller gear for Apprentice?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Taller gear for Apprentice?

I found that if the grass is a bit too high Icant take off, just wind up turning the plane green. Iwould like to raise it up about 3/4" if I can. If I just raise the nose gear, will it affect takeoff? I already have 2 1/2" wheel on the nose and 2 1/4" mains. When the grass is shorter Ican take off OK.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Lnewqban

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Taller gear for Apprentice?

Bigger wheels are no pretty, but will make a huge difference.

Raising the nose only will make take-off's jumpy and will make landings a little more ballooning.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 AM
TomBates

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club flies off of grass so I had the same problem with my Apprentice. I changed the mains to narrower 2 1/2" wheels and the nose wheel to a 3" wheel. Everything worked out great. I still taxi with full up elevator though.

Tom
Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So you got a 3" to fit on the stock nose strut? It didnt look like it will fit. Iwill pick up a new set of wheels then and give it a try. After a rather rough landing due to grass clumps, Itweak the elevator so while on the bench I figured out why the plane has such a difficult time taking off in grass. THe motor has a lot of down thrust, so it basically is digging itself into the grass. Once Iget the blades clear of the grass though it will speed up and take off. Its that initial getting clear of the grass that has been a PITA. Last night wound up hand launching it.

Right now it has 2 1/4" mains and 2 1/2" nose.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
jmcowart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put 3.5 inch light weightfoam wheels on all three landing gear, mains and nose gear. Following ideas on the forum from an earlier post, I made a new nose gear out of 5/32" stock. The 5/32" nose gear is available from Du-bro and it only takes a slight bend outward and a bend upward on the axle part of the gear in order to put the nose wheel directly under the vertical shaft and steering attachments. The airframe sits up nicely and with a lot of prop clearance. I currently have installed a 11 X 7 electric thin prop and there is lots of clearance.

I have also changed out the 15 motor that came with the Apprentice for a Power 15 - puts out more power - but I remind myself there is no need to run a full throttle save special needs (such as a fun vertical departure).

The Apprentice looks like a bush plane and I am of a mind to call it the "Super Apprentice"

Seriously, the 3/52" stock nose gear by Du-bro requires a little bit of adjustment to fit and function, but it serves the purpose of mostly solving the tall grass problem. The stronger motor should also help pull it through and upout of the tall grass. The three and a half inch wheels fit on the stock main gear perfectly. Mike.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
junkyardflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out the landing gear on the Hobbico Sensei. Maybe you could use this gear or at least get some ideas.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
JeffinTD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also put bigger wheels on mine, and it will take off fine on grass.

With a micro skydiver strapped on, though, I sometimes don't have enough ground clearance to prevent the skydiver from dragging enough to pull the plane off track on run up.

It looks like it would be an easy task to bend up some taller gear from music wire.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
fmw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Perhaps you are using too much prop? I use 12X8 props on my Power 25 powered Apprentice and haven't seen any green yet.