Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

2nd plane

Old 08-17-2003, 02:35 AM
jbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd plane

My first plane is a Wingo, from Hobby Lobby. It is a GREAT flying plane (But not in the wind!). I would like to go to a second plane with more positive control, perhaps a symetrical or semi-symetrical airfoil with Aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle controls? Would like it to be fairly stable (But not very self-correcting) and not too fast! Any suggestions? Am I on the right track in my progress?
I have no instructor and am trying to learn by myself.

Jim (jbot)
Old 08-18-2003, 04:59 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default 2nd plane

If you're pretty good on that Wingo and want to try a slow 4-channel. Check out the Flying Styro Crazy Sparrow. Kinda funny looking but it might just fit the bill.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:07 AM
jbot

Default 2nd plane

Thanks Aaron. I'll look it over. I appreciate your suggestion.
Jim
Old 08-18-2003, 05:41 AM
jbot

Default 2nd plane

Aaron,
I went to the Hobby Lobby site to see a video of the plane flying. Looks like a good aerobatic plane. However, in watching the video, it seems slightly sensitive on the controls. I think it is because it is so small (38" wing span as opposed to Wingo's 45" and a wing area of 251 sq. in. as opposed to the Wingo's 436 sq in.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:52 AM
3DFanatic

Default 2nd plane

Any sort of low-wing aircraft (especially a 4-channel) is going to be a little more sensative then a rudder/elevator high-winger.
They're not that hard to fly...
Old 08-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default 2nd plane

"Slightly" sensitive is nothing to worry about. There is no law saying that you have to set the plane up that sensitive; the Hobby Lobby Sensitivity Police won't be kicking in your door

If you happen to have a nice transmitter with dual rates, you can set the plane up according to the instructions, then "dial down" the control throws to 50% or so on low rates. When you get up high and want to play, flip the switch(es) back to high rates.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:42 PM
3DFanatic

Default 2nd plane

They still owe me a new door
Old 08-21-2003, 10:00 AM
A10-warthog-RCU

Default 2nd plane

jbot, if you get that crazy sparrow, pls post your experiences with it. I'm also trying to learn on my own and the wingo is also my first plane. I've been to my local hobby store today where they have the crazy sparrow, but I've been told there that it would be too hard to fly without help from an instructor. It would be great to hear your experiences with it, if you buy it.
Judging on the hobby lobby clip it looks like a plane that behaves well and is quite stable, but any plane looks like that when someone advanced flies it
In the mean time I'm waiting for my gearbox for the wingo to arrive, I hope that will make some change. It's a great starter plane, the wingo!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:17 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Default 2nd plane

The Crazy Max is a nice second airplane with ailerons.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:38 AM
jbot

Default 2nd plane

Originally posted by Dave Genet
The Crazy Max is a nice second airplane with ailerons.
Dave,
Where did you find the "Crazy Max"? I have checked the Hobby Lobby catalog and do not see it there.

Best Wishes,
Jim Bottom
Old 08-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Tweet

Default 2nd plane

Hi Jim,

For some reason Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it. They don't carry the Slow Stick either, also a popular airplane.

Here is the link to someone who does:

http://www.slowflyers.com/airplanes/.../crazymax.html

They're charging $49.99. I bought mine at my LHS for $40.00.

The Crazy Max isn't pretty, but it does fly nice and for $40 you can get a complete set of spare parts!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default 2nd plane

Hobby Lobby is an independent importer of airplanes. Both the Craxy Max and Slow Stick are distributed by major "exclusive" distributors in the USA, Global Hobby and Horizon Hobby respectively. Hobby Lobby could carry both Global's and Horizon's products, but they'd have to buy a dealership from each distributor, and move $X worth of their product every month...

I rather like the fact that Hobby Lobby has stuff that nobody else has. You can get the Crazy Max from Hobby PEOPLE, and the Slow Stick at practically every local hobby shop in the USA.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Tweet

Default 2nd plane

It's true that Hobby Lobby has a lot to choose from. It is where I go when I want to get the big picture on what is available in electrics.