Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind

Yes they are way over kill for the plane. It is an old Model Tech Formula 3D. It is a 70 to 90 powered aerobat. I had one with a 91fs in the nose and she was a pure pleasure to fly. Would hang on a 10 mph breeze. Would hover with ease. After it went in, took me another year and a half to find a replacement. I am going to put a Tacon 60 in the nose with a 6s 5000mah battery. I get just over 1100 watts with a 18X8 prop. The plane flew just fine with SG 5010analog servos that put out 150 ounces of torque. There are digital, metal gear super power servos. I figure this would be a good test for them after I get done with the bench testing. I am planing on building a test rig this weekend so I can mount my dial indicator, just to see how well they center.

If they turn out to be good servos, they would be hard to pass up for the price.

I was checking them out of the package. They seem to have a good fit and finish. Still do not like the stiff plastic servo leads. They are the standard red, orange, brown 3 wire servo lead. They seem a little stiff. They are not the nice teflon coated wires.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/magazin...79/formula.jpg

http://www.rcworld.com.au/media/cata...d_front_34.jpg
    Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you get those servos?   What do you think?
    Long Island Silent Flyers
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone have experience with Spektrum servos?
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup.

Which ones specifically? Many of them are rebadged JR or Savox
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just looking for general feedback on Spektrum servos.  Nothing in particular.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh boy. I had forgotten about this. Hang head in shame.

I did get them and they are really nice servos. Have not had a chance to build the test rig. Have flown them and they work very well. Super strong.

I have another servo I have been using. These are small digital servos. I picked them up for a Mini 3DX. Was I surprised at the first power on. They are a little noisy, but only because they are trying to center. They are strong and very precises.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-servo-s0820.html

I have since ordered 8 more. They are good servo's. I have 10 flights on them and they work great.

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What determines how strong the servos need to be? Speed and deflection.

There is a servo calculator spreadsheet on the first page of this discussion. Bring it up and play with it and you come to understand how little or how much torque you need.

I was helping someone in another thread. He is building a 12' wing span sailplane for slope soaring. He asked advice on the aileron servos.

Well, it all depends on how you are going to fly it, I told him.

Based on his aileron width and depth and assuming a maximum of a 30 degree deflection, if he hit that deflection at 50 mph he needs about 37 inch/ounces of torque. So I recommended some that were about 50.

If he did that same 30 degree deflection at 100 mph he needs about 150 inch/ounces of torque.

The numbers have nothing to do with the weight of the aircraft or the span of the wing. It is all about surface area of the control surface and the angle of deflection.

That is why most 3D planes can use fairly light servos. 3D planes are typically flown at fairly low speeds even thought they have large surfaces.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What does most people use to test there servos, especially when not in the plane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi, this is a very good thread. I wave two questions I've head on my mind 4 a while;

1- mid size servos and their use in larger (.90) planes. The rated torque would be OK, but the smaller gear make them vulnerable.
    My question; if they are rated for a specific force, the gear should also withstand that force right ?

2- is there such a thing as "low cost" (under $30) regular servo that centers well ?

Thanks, V.
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    G'day I have been running Hitec 225 servos I have had 3 that have blown or shorted out not sure what causes this to happen but it didn't happen while in the air!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    hi I have been running hitec 225 servos in most of my planes I have had 3 of them bow up and seize but not while flying what could cause this to happen?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have an old analog type servo tester made by Custom Electronics. Reads up to 500 ma and has a joystick for movement. HK carries digital ones that I would grab if something happened to mine. Questionable servos with dirty pots will show up with the needle twitching as you move the stick slowly. Also shows if control surfaces are hitting their stops before the servo hits the end. by drawing more than 500 ma.

I mostly run JR 821 servos on my sport planes for a good all around servo.
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by 5regal View Post
    What does most people use to test there servos, especially when not in the plane?
    I have a receiver and a battery pack on the bench just to test the servos. I power them up, move them through their full range to look for smooth operation. Then I do the same with finger resistance to see that there is no clicking, drag or other bad behavior.

For matched surfaces like flaps, I will test all the servos to find the two that most perfectly match. Normally it doesn't matter but occasionally there is one that is slightly off. Fine for Rudder but not to pair with another on the flaps.

Lastly I look for centering. If they won't center with no load they will never center under a little drag in the push rods.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12