Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie what plane?

Old 08-24-2003, 04:32 AM
Dragus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbie what plane?

I have yet to fly anything and I want to. I just havent any idea on where to start. I talked to the lhs guy and he was trying to get me to buy a 600.00 trainer but im not ready to invest that kind of money yet in a Nitro plane, I wanna make sure its something that I truly enjoy. I was looking at the firebird series and the commander. are therse halfway worth while or is their something different that would be a good start? any input is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:33 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the firebrid type planes are quite popular and fly well
Old 08-24-2003, 12:25 PM
sierra gold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is some "conventional wisdom" that says that buying a radio with 4-5 channels and a plane to go with it is "more useable" as one grows with the hobby.

However, if you're not sure if RC will be your thing, then the Aerobird is inexpensive and complete. Many people have started out with them.

Good luck.

I have also read good things about the T-Hawk:

http://www.toytx.com/thawk3chrtf.html
Old 08-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are in the mood for buying a radio and servos than go with a GWS Slow Stick. There are billions of threads about the plane here so just do a search.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Trainer

I agree with Foxtrot - starting with an Aerobird severely restricts your progress in the Hobby. If you have the interest and resources to get into it properly, go for a Hitec or similar 4-5 channel 72mHz FM radio system, complete with micro receiver and pico servos, extra batteries etc, and a Triton charger - THEN you have an almost infinite range of parkflyer size aircraft to choose from. BUT, if you heed the advice of dozens of experts and newbies, to start with, you cannot do better than to go for the Slowstick. EVERYTHING you will have bought will be able to be transferred to another aircraft after you have learned the ropes on the Slowstick!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, Cheers, Phil
Old 08-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only thing that I wouldn't agree with is the triton charger. That would be a little extreme for a beginner. I would suggest the hobbico quick field charger MKII.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:05 AM
Dragus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was wondering isnt the slow stick Nitro? I am not new to rc just new to airplanes. I run 1/10 scale on and off roads. now I guess my next question is, is this something if i go with the slow stick I can go out and figure out as I go? Or do I have to join a club? I appreciate everyones input.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:08 AM
sierra gold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was a "stick" series that was nitro as I recall.

The Slow Stick is an electric powered trainer made by a company named GWS. The kit is foam wings and tail and an aluminum square tube fuse. It costs $35 and includes the motor.

You can see it here:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1040

You would need a complete radio system, a motor speed control(ESC), a battery pack(or two), and a charger.

The Slow Stick is an excellent trainer and gets my vote over an Aerobird. Your total cost for a flyable plane would be about $250 for everything. More expensive than the Aerobird but the various components are useable with other planes, unlike the Aerobird. If you have a bad crash in learning to fly you can buy a new Slow Stick for $35.

I hadn't pushed the Slow Stick in my earlier post because you had expressed this was to determine if you had an interest in RC planes. The Aerobird is about $100 cheaper in initial cost, but if you enjoy planes your second plane would cost you the $250 because little to nothing of the Aerobird will "move" to another plane.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:39 AM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

YA, what he said
Old 08-25-2003, 05:02 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out the GWS MC-2000 charger. Love mine.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Dragus
I was wondering isnt the slow stick Nitro? I am not new to rc just new to airplanes. I run 1/10 scale on and off roads. now I guess my next question is, is this something if i go with the slow stick I can go out and figure out as I go? Or do I have to join a club? I appreciate everyones input.
No, the Slow Stick is electric. This IS the Electric Training forum

As far as do you "have" to join a club... No, you don't. You don't "have" to do anything. However, if you are in a crowded area, and there is a club with a flying site nearby, it is probably in your best interest to at least visit them and see what they have to offer. Mind you that some clubs are not worth joining, but most are. The best place to visit a club is at a club meeting; you may or may not find someone at the field, and those people you do find may or may not be able to help you in getting started. Don't be shy, but don't be rude and interrupt if someone is clearly trying to fly his/her airplane or is working on it. Don't be discouraged if someone doesn't jump up and welcome you with a hearty handshake and a fruit basket; some people expect the red carpet to be rolled out for them. Lots of fliers are very shy and even have trouble talking to strangers. Go ahead and break the ice, show them you don't bite, be friendly and outgoing. As soon as you show that you want to talk about their favorite subject, they'll open up

If the club is VERY nearby, and you get a 72MHz radio, you really should join the club so you can fly at their field. That way, you won't be likely to turn on your transmitter when someone else on the same frequency is flying their airplane. You will shoot someone on the same frequency down, or they will shoot you down if you have both radios on at the same time. But, since you race cars you are probably aware of the effects of frequency conficts.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well there is a stick series that is nitro and it is a decent traner (better than normal trainers). However the GWS electric stick is what we are talking about
Old 09-09-2003, 07:22 AM
sargentw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newbie what plane?

New flyers might find my brief Park Flyer history helpful.

My first plane was a Slow Stik. At the time, I didn't know what I was doing and kept stalling and breaking props. Things like center of gravity (COG) and other basic flying concepts weren't getting properly grasped. So I put the Stik aside and ran down to the local hobby store and bought a Firebird II. This is the plane I learned how to fly on. I paid the price; hung it up in trees and even had one go too far up and get blown away never to be seen again. The Firebird II has no elevator control and cannot do very tight turns. However, the Firebird II is inexpensive, crashworthy, and will give the new pilot very important "Stick time" in which to become familiar with turning the plane while flying towards and away from a given reference point.

Next I bought an Aerobird and it about killed me. One day it flies ok and the next day it crashes. The Aerobird always had something going wrong with it, servos, radio, COG shift, etc. My Aerobird has been sold and is no longer in my hangar.

Next I bought a GWS Tiger Moth and this plane really built my 3 ch confidence back up after the Aerobird nearly killed it. The Moth is easy to fly and land on those breezeless evenings. After flying the Moth I went back to the Slow Stik and learned to fly it in all types of conditions.

I also now have a Graupner Terry that flies like a demon. The Terry cannot take rough landings so I would not call it a beginner?s plane. The Terry also can fly very fast very quickly and can catch the novice off guard.

A couple of months ago I bought the Sky scooter Pro II to practice landings to build up a confidence level with the Terry landings and try a plane with ailerons. The Scooter is a blast to fly and the upgrades purchased at Servo City make plane really perform. The scooter can land hard and fast if needed and would make a great beginners plane. You do need a large field, especially if you are a new R/C pilot.

If I did it all again I would have bought the Scooter instead of the Aerobird. The planes cost about the same but with the Scooter you get real R/C gear and a plane that flies and turns a heck of alot better.

In conclusion, I could have learned to fly using the Scooter. Based on what I know now, the Sky Scooter would have been a better first plane choice for me going the self taught route.

Fair winds.....
Old 09-10-2003, 12:10 PM
sstickflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a thought, but I took the advice of many on here and ordered a Slow Stick on Ebay. You may wish for a better setup, but mine came with the GWS Dream Starter 4ch radio, 30 min DC 12v charger, 7.2v 600mah battery, well everything you need to get started and I only paid $166 shipped for everything. I just got it put together and am waiting for a calm day. I was happy it was exactly as described in the ad and I see them listed from the same seller almost everyday. Just do a search for GWS in the Radio Control, battery RC airplane section. Here is a link below to the exact one I purchased. Good luck

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3143514315&category=2563&rd=1]Ebay Slow Stick[/link]
Old 09-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would upgrade that bat. to a 9.6v 1100 mah bat. Longer flight time and more power (If you want it).
Old 09-10-2003, 08:58 PM
sstickflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought an 8.4v 700mah as a second battery. I may buy another later, but I figured this would get me started.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a good bat. for beginners. When you feel the need for some excitement, get a bigger battery.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Epoxy Cup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dragus

That's good advice from Foxtrot & Kiwi, get the slow stick and a radio you an grow with. At least with the slow stick you have rudder, elevator, and throttle that work like most other RC planes. You wont be haveing to use your throttle for some type of flair on landing like the firebird does.
I already fly RC both glow & electric, just starting on Heli's. I have a slow stick and take it out in front of my house or to the school for some relaxing flying. It actually thermals better than my ascent glider I also have a firebird that I never could get to fly right. It just turns left, it's laying in the hanger and if anyone wants one I will box it up and ship it to them for $45.00 in U.S.
Anyway the slow stick is good advice it will prepare you for greater things and still be fun to fly around.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To tell the truth. Landing this plane can be a little harry for a beginner. However if you test things like stall responsiveness and fly it around with different amounts of throttle, you should be ok. Also it is a good idea to have an ace standing there with you. (Just in case)!!!!!

-foxtrot
Old 10-01-2003, 08:16 PM
smeelyfeet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MY electric plane is the kind you have to throw...it is kind of hard to get up...how can i strap landing gear onto it???
Old 10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
jatoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Firebird Outlway is the best for begginers!
See my post: "Best First Plane"
Old 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
red91sit
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: smeelyfeet

MY electric plane is the kind you have to throw...it is kind of hard to get up...how can i strap landing gear onto it???
I used kenex but my airplane is too heavy and underpowered for them. They're really light and only add a little bit of drag but i'd rather do aerobatics than touch and gos
Old 10-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote: MY electric plane is the kind you have to throw...it is kind of hard to get up...how can i strap landing gear onto it???

What type of plane is it? Bending a little wire and buying some light weight wheels is prety easy, however watchout for weight changes.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:11 PM
smeelyfeet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is a firebird
Old 10-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kenex sounds like a good idea. Don't be afraid to bend a little wire though, better to go with the original gear design and buy some real wheels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service