Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Thermal Charger-Leisure 05 Stock motor??

Old 12-31-2011, 05:01 PM
kadamstex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Thermal Charger-Leisure 05 Stock motor??

I have been away from the hobby for many years and never flew electrics. I need some help in deciding what setup to use for a kit I just started. The kit is a Thermal Charger electric glider. It comes with a Leisure "05" stock motor, which is a brushed motor. The performance stated was probably ok back when it was made, but is probably one of the reasons I never messed with electrics before. The literature states you can get 8 minute flights: power up for two minutes then glide for two minutes; turn the motor back on for another two minutes and glide back down. The stated weight of the plane is 38-40 oz.

The setup in the plans has a servo operated on/off switch. The motor is either full bore or off. The plans also call for seperate radio and motor flight packs. The specified motor pack is an 800mAH 8.4 volt 7-cell NiCD.

I have a lot of questions.

1. Will this motor work with and ESC?

2. Are there different types of ESCs? Which type would I need?

3. Is it advisable to keep the two battery pack setup or can I go to one?

4. If one pack, how much flight time do you generally have after the motor shuts off?

5. Obviously, there have been a lot of improvements in battery technology. Can NiMH of Li-Po battery packs be used with this type of motor?

6. Do NiMH and Li-Po battery packs have the overheating problems that the NiCD packs had? The plans put a lot of emphasis on having a lot of airflow thru the battery pack. They make it very clear that the pack must be open (no wrapper) so that air can be pulled between the cells.

7. What type of connector does the Leisure motor have? I know what it looks like, but not what it is called.

I'm hoping to cut some weight out so the glide times will be better. 38-40 oz seems quite heavy for a 60" wingspan glider.

I'll probably have more questions, but this is a good start.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Thermal Charger-Leisure 05 Stock motor??

That must be a VERY old kit to have a servo operated on/off for the motor. The 05 is a big heavy brushed motor that is pretty limited and inefficient, by modern standards, that typically spins an 8x4 prop. I would not use it.

You want a brushless motor/ESC combo, Lithium batteries. Skip the receiver pack. Run the servos from the ESC's BEC feature.

I need more info on the glider. Have you built it yet? Can you post photos? Or maybe a picture of the box showing the plane and the specs?

Sounds like a thermal soaring glider.

And yes, 40 oz is a brick, but a lot of that would have been the NICD batteries. We can likely trim 4 ounces just by going to LiPo battery, and another 3 eliminating the receiver pack.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Thermal Charger-Leisure 05 Stock motor??

To help you get up to speed on modern electric power systems take a look the thread called Everything you wanted to know about electric flight, in this forum.

Search this Thread