Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Replace Motor Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
lnl1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Motor Shaft

OK, I have 2 motors that I want to replace a bent shaft on, #1 Rimfire .32, #2 Eflite Bl25.

Both motors have a hex key set screw that is not a 1.5mm (too small) and it is not 2mm (too large). I have searched for a 1.75mm hex key or something in between 1.5 and 2.0mm without success.

Is this some special size that is only available to the manufacturers or am I missing something here?

I have searched some of the other threads on the internet and it seems the Heli guys have the same problem with paddle screws.

I have already stripped out the socket on the Eflite by trying to use a 1.5mm hex, I did not use the ball end either because of the sloppy fit.

I spoke with Horizon about this to see if I could send in the motor and have them replace the shaft, they informed me that tthey did not do repairs on motors and that basically it is a disposable item.

Anyone know whats going on or is that basically it, disposable?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
fmw

Default RE: Replace Motor Shaft

I don't know.  I've changed shafts on the the E Flite 25.  Some hex key I had worked.  I don't know what it was.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I've had the same problem but in different applications. I'll list some of the "fixes" that may help.

1. Try using hex screws from "dura collars" or wheel collars
2. Try SAE hex screws instead of metric
3. Try finding a regular small bolt and if you find one that works, cut off the head and make a screw driver slot with a dremel cutting wheel
4. or tap the existing threads to a new thread to match a hex screw that you have

Hopefully one of the above will work. Let us know how you make out.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Where does one get a replacement shaft?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: lnl1950
Both motors have a hex key set screw that is not a 1.5mm (too small) and it is not 2mm (too large). I have searched for a 1.75mm hex key or something in between 1.5 and 2.0mm without success.

Is this some special size that is only available to the manufacturers or am I missing something here?
Maybe they aren't Metric. Both 1/16" and 5/64" lie between 1.5mm and 2.0mm.

- Jeff
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Levram1,

I have a motor that I could not get a shaft for. The fix I did was not very elaborate, but it works.

This is how I did it:
I first got the measurement of the shaft with a micrometer
I then went to the hobby shop and found a piano wire that was about 2 thousands larger
I then took the wire home and cut it longer than needed with a dremel cut off wheel
I then put the shaft into my drill press (a drill should also work)
I then sanded the shaft very lightly until it was the size I wanted
I then put some epoxy into the motor armature and on the sanded shaft and pressed the shaft into the armature
When the epoxy cured, I then cut the shaft to the proper length

I hope the above helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne