Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Need info on best motor choice

Old 08-26-2003, 11:50 PM
kinseyd
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need info on best motor choice

I would appreciate info on the logical next step in motors. I'm wanting to upgrade my Mini Max, Slow Stick, and Wattage Decathlon, and I can't afford the brushless motors/controllers. I want more power, same weight, and better efficiency. I know that's asking a lot, but I'm hoping that extra bucks will accomplish this. I'm not planning to move into Li-Poly batteries yet, unless that is the best choice to make.
Are cobalt magnet motors any more efficient, or just more powerful and therefore use up the battery quicker?
Can the traditional can motors be purchased with ball bearings rather than bushings, and does this make a significant difference?
Is there another motor category that I am unaware of, that is better than can motors but reasonably priced?
Thanks for the help.
Don
Old 08-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are basically three steps in motor technology. First is cheap can motors. Second is cobalt brushed. Third is brushless. That said, there are really only two steps because cobalt technology has been largely ignored. Brushless has pretty much taken over the entire market outside of cheap can motors, because a brushless is often only slightly more expensive than a cobalt.

Take, for example, the Wattage Super Cobalt 400. At $39.99, it's really not that much less expensive than a Mega 16/15 series motor at $60-$70. Replace that Wattage Cobalt once, and you've already spent the difference between cobalt and brushless, including the controller. The Mega brushless is MUCH more efficient, and will last virtually forever because the only wear parts are the bearings. The commutator on the Wattage Cobalt will be toast after a couple sets of brushes, and the entire motor will have to be replaced.

Check out the brushless motors at Hobby Lobby. They have many small brushless motors suitable for at least the Slow Stick and Decathlon under $60.

All that said, what you have now is going to be the best you can do for the planes you have, unless you go brushless. The Wattage 370/Speed 300/EPS300C motor (all are the exact same can motor, a Mabuchi 370) is probably one of the best can motors money can buy. Other than fiddling with propellers, gear ratios, and cell count, you really can't do much better. The most obvious thing you can do on the Slow Stick and Decathlon is use an 8-cell pack of 720mAh NiMH cells instead of whatever you use now.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:15 PM
kinseyd
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt,
Thanks for the help on the pinion puller, and on the motor info. I didn't realize the Mega motors were brushless. You get a brushless motor and controller for $60-70? That's incredible. I'll check out Hobby Lobby and get a couple ordered.
I agree the 300 can motors are great, but like everyone, I want more power/more run time/less weight!
Thanks again,
Don
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

$60-70 is for the motor ONLY. You still have to buy a controller. Castle Creations Phoenix 25's can be found for about $70. So, for somewhere in the neighborhood of $150, you can go brushless in a speed 400 application.

Yes, the Megas are brushless. I don't think they make anything else. They're a very popular choice because of the attractive price.

However, the Mega 16/15 series is not terribly suitable for Speed 300 applications. The motor's bigger and heavier than the entire motor/gearbox combination, and generally requires a larger battery pack.

For Speed 300, you might look at the MiniAC motors, or PJS "outrunners." With the PJS, you don't need a gearbox.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:26 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The MPJet Brushless 25/25-26 and 25/35-20 are a great buy at their price ($50 from Hobby-Lobby and others, including g/box).

You'll easily get 15oz static thrust from the "300 equivalent" 25/25 and 20oz from the "400 equivalent" 25/35 on 8-cells @ 10-12amp draws.

Cheers, Phil