Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

How to replace pinion gear

Old 08-27-2003, 12:17 AM
kinseyd
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to replace pinion gear

I recently tried to replace a pinion gear on the Crazy Max 370 motor, with great frustration. As I tried to pull the gear off, I think I damaged something inside the motor as there is now more fore/aft play in the shaft. It still spins freely by hand, though. Now I can't figure out how to get the new gear on! I tried heating the new brass gear in the oven, but by the time I started trying to put it on the motor shaft it was cool to the touch.
What is the trick? Please include details.
Don
Old 08-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You need a special tool to remove the pinions without damaging the motor. It's called a pinion puller, and many hobby shops that have R/C cars will have one. Instead of yanking against the motor frame, a pinion puller grasps the pinion and pushes the shaft out.

That motor is probably ruined, I'm afraid.

To install the new pinion, you can either use a pinion press, or do what I do: Get a hardwood block and drill a hole in it just deep and wide enough to hold the pinion. Position the motor shaft over the pinion, and tap gently on the back end of the shaft using a pin/punch/nail set and a hammer. You may need a helper to hold the motor while you hold the pin/punch/nail set and tap. Do NOT put pressure on the motor case to install the pinion. You'll destroy the motor.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pinions

Yes, you must get one of the Standard GWS gearpullers[@ aeromicro for $12.95]. Get this larger version (not the Micro), unless you intend to specialize with "tiny" motors with 1-2mm shafts. This Standard version will deal with everything from 280's thru 600's and brushless from Razors up thru AXIs and Phasors.

To fit new pinions DO NOT USE A HAMMER

I recommend using a vice as I suggested in this post in the "Motors" thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ghlight=pinion

Cheers, Phill
Old 09-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Wright Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If a motor is known to be dead then pinions can be pulled (though it may destroy the rest of the motor!) by putting the shaft in the cleft of a claw hammer and then banging the motor body down sharply on something solid, keep your eye on the flying pinion! To put on a new shaft I use a vice and blocks of softish wood so that they are more likely to get damaged than the valuable motor.

Cliff