Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie Just Purchased NexStar EP

Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
rowekmr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbie Just Purchased NexStar EP

Hello Group,

I just purchased one at a discount and upon reading their online manual see they give a choice of NiMH at 39 oz total (for 2) or the LiPo for 16-18 oz depending on size. I am completely new to the battery choices. When I briefly tried in the 80's the speed controller was a switch thrown by a servo and the chargers had times and fixed rates. Now there is a rainbow of offerings and many many manufacturers producing products. I did a brief search and found an old forum from 2008 where they talked about the sensitivities and risk of using LiPos mainly fires. Is this still a risk. I don't want to be watching chargers and using temp gauges if I can avoid and like the set it and forget it convenience of Nicads of yester years. I was considering the NiMh's because of this but they are heavy and don't know how that will impact the flight qualities of the plane. I just joined a RCclub and will use the simulator and an instructor but are there any cheap pointers for this combo?

Thanks

Joe
Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newbie Just Purchased NexStar EP

They are still selling that with NIMH packs?

If I had that plane what I'd do is use the NI packs because I already have them. I surely wouldn't pay much for new ones though because later I'd want to go with lipos and have to buy another charger. It looks like they want around 20 volts for the set-up? Maybe a 5s lipo would work.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 AM
startazz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been using Lipos for over 5 years now and never had a problem (touch wood) as long as you look after them and stick to what the manufacture say on charging and use you will be fine,i won't leave a lipo unattended but i don't sit there watching it all the time

I've found that if you use a good lipo bag it will give you that extra safe feeling,if that makes any sense also don't worry about buying extra lipo batteries and a charger as you can get them cheap enough now online,i buy most of mine from hobbyking might be worth giving them a look and see what you think.

Also once you start to use lipo's i bet you will be happy,we always hear about the horror stories and they are the ones that tend to stick in out minds the most,go for lipo's you'll be fine if you treat them with a bit of respect honest.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use only lipo batteries. I like to be around when I'm charging, especially for the first couple of charges with a new battery. I try to charge in a safe place if I'm not going to be within sight of the pack.

The best thing to do is get a good, smart charger. My icharger lets me know if something is wrong and stops itself.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
guver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rowekmr

Hello Group,

I just purchased one at a discount and upon reading their online manual see they give a choice of NiMH at 39 oz total (for 2) or the LiPo for 16-18 oz depending on size. I am completely new to the battery choices. When I briefly tried in the 80's the speed controller was a switch thrown by a servo and the chargers had times and fixed rates. Now there is a rainbow of offerings and many many manufacturers producing products. I did a brief search and found an old forum from 2008 where they talked about the sensitivities and risk of using LiPos mainly fires. Is this still a risk. I don't want to be watching chargers and using temp gauges if I can avoid and like the set it and forget it convenience of Nicads of yester years. I was considering the NiMh's because of this but they are heavy and don't know how that will impact the flight qualities of the plane. I just joined a RC club and will use the simulator and an instructor but are there any cheap pointers for this combo?

Thanks

Joe
Hope you don't mind a side question. I'm interested in this plane , but without all the extras (radio,batts,charger, ect) Is there any more available at a discount where you got it from?

Thanks. I really just want the complete plane minus RX.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
rowekmr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem I got it off EBay. I saw some without the extras but IIRCthey were the gas model. But it definitely warrants a look and Ialso looked on Craigslist but most of those were already flown. On a side note I have installed and flown the simulator that comes with it and for this to be a trainer it seems fast to me. Maybe because my Ilearned (self taught) on powered gliders. I will definitely be using the club's instructor with this.

ORIGINAL: guver

ORIGINAL: rowekmr

Hello Group,

I just purchased one at a discount and upon reading their online manual see they give a choice of NiMH at 39 oz total (for 2) or the LiPo for 16-18 oz depending on size. I am completely new to the battery choices. When I briefly tried in the 80's the speed controller was a switch thrown by a servo and the chargers had times and fixed rates. Now there is a rainbow of offerings and many many manufacturers producing products. I did a brief search and found an old forum from 2008 where they talked about the sensitivities and risk of using LiPos mainly fires. Is this still a risk. I don't want to be watching chargers and using temp gauges if I can avoid and like the set it and forget it convenience of Nicads of yester years. I was considering the NiMh's because of this but they are heavy and don't know how that will impact the flight qualities of the plane. I just joined a RCclub and will use the simulator and an instructor but are there any cheap pointers for this combo?

Thanks

Joe
Hope you don't mind a side question. I'm interested in this plane , but without all the extras (radio,batts,charger, ect) Is there any more available at a discount where you got it from?

Thanks. I really just want the complete plane minus RX.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
guver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm wondering how you made out with the nexstar and what you did for batteries?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
rowekmr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry I've been busy. So busy I haven't flown or even taken the plane out of the box. I have been practicing on the sim though and see it is much different from the powered gliders I would self teach myself on back in the 80's. I can fly with the auto pilot on and off even doing some mild aerobatics. I ended up getting two 5S LiPo batteries and a 200 watt DC battery charger from one of the websites mentioned on another thread here. I joined a local RC club and will use an instructor on a buddy cord.

ORIGINAL: guver

I'm wondering how you made out with the nexstar and what you did for batteries?