Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

giving electric a go

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giving electric a go

Hi to All:
I'm considering the purchase of the Carbon Z Yak 54 BNF. This would be my first electric Aircraft. The major concern I have is the estimated flight time of 5 minutes. It comes with a 2800mah 14.8V lipo. What Mah pack can I go to to double the flight time?

Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: giving electric a go

Of course it will need twice the capacity , even a bit more to carry around extra weight. I'm not saying the plane can handle twice the weight though. I'm guessing that a pack that weighs double is probably way too heavy.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM
iflircaircraft

Here are the specs:
Carbon-Z Yak 54 BNF
Specifications:
Type: Airplanes
Wingspan: 48.0 in (1220mm)
Overall Length: 48.5 in (1230mm)
Flying Weight: 3.75-3.80 lbs (1.70-1.73kg)
Motor Size: 25-size 1,000Kv Brushless Outrunner (included)
Prop Size: 12 x 5.25 (305 x 133mm) (included)
Wing Area: 525 sq in (34.0 sq dm)
Wing Loading: 16.2 oz/sq foot (50.14 grams/sq dm)
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Speed Control: 60-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless (included)
Battery: 2,800mAh 4S 14.8V LiPo (included)
Approximate Flying Duration: 5 minutes

I would need a 5600mAh capacity battery to increase flight time to 10 minutes?
Yikes!!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to remember that the 5 minutes is with a lot of hovering and lots of full power stuff. On my 60 sized plane they said the flight times would be around 9 minutes. Yet I get well over 30 minutes of flight time. It is just a guess on how long you can fly. If you take off fly at full throttle for the whole flight, 5 minutes might be right on. Yet with throttle management, you may get 10 minutes of flight time.

I looked at a GENS Ace 2500 4s and it weighs in at 300 grams, 10.5 ounces, 4000 4s weighs 435 grams, 15.3 ounces and the 5500 4s weighs 612 grams 21.5 ounces. I would see how long you can fly on a 2800 mah battery before trying a 5000mah battery.

Buzz.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM
iflircaircraft

Hoverring is for Helis. I do the boring stuff like turn right go inverted then do an outside loop and roll to knife edge and do hammerheads,spins etc. I'll leave the blenders and harriers and walls to the pros. I've seen them done and I'm not all that impressed to be honest. I do use throttle management so maybe I'll get 8-10 minute flights which is what I usually fly with my (cough) glow planes.
Thanks for the advice.

Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 AM
mycarisaser

with normal on the wing type of flying th ecarbon Z will give you around 7 or so minutes. Go up to a 3K or 3300mah and you will easily see 10 minutes(any heavier than that it takes away to much performance from the plane). The yak is a nice aerobatic plane
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get 10 minutes plus on my Galaxy, Tristania. They are SMALLER then the one you are looking at. They use a 480 2s battery ans weigh in at about 6 ounces ready to fly. Mine are about 1 1/2 ounces over weight but fly very well. They do not like a lot of wind. That is the down side to the lite weigh planes.

It is a balance between flight time and weight. Bigger batteries mean more flight time yet they weigh more so you use more throttle.

Maybe look for a liter weight plane to get longer flight times?

Buzz.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

iflircaircraft
Endurance of an electric powered plane is an interesting topic.
Simply doubling the battery capacity will not give twice the endurance as the plane is having to carry the extra battery weight for the whole flight. At some point adding extra battery weight will make the plane almost un-flyable and possible fail structurally.

As a general rule there will be a battery specification which is probably the best compromise of performance and duration although you might find a small change in battery size suits your style of flying.

A final point is that electric motors and their speed controls are still very efficient at part throttle (at least compared to glow IC!) so using the throttle appropriately can increase the flight endurance significantly without compromising the actual flight performance.

With simple endurance in mind the longest power on all the time, no lift, start and finish in the same place, flight I have achieved is 1hr 36mins but I must admit its very boring to do!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that yak but it has only been up a couple of times. I think you could hit 6 and a half with the stock pack.

I have some gens ace 3300 4s packs that I use in a Handy King and an Advance that I think will also work in this.

A bunch of the guys where I fly are using a little voltage monitor that plugs in to the balance lead and sounds an alarm when vtage drops below what you set it at. Need to get me one of those.

PS the Handy King will fly for quite a while on 3300's.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS the carbon z yak does have a very easy to access battery compartment, so you would only have to come down for a second to change the pack, if that helps with the decision. It also seems to be a really nice flying little bugger.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everything you wanted to know about electric flight
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

A lot of your questions will be addressed in this free e-book