Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Flyzone Albatros TX-R airplane - Don't buy it unless you have a computer radio

Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flyzone Albatros TX-R airplane - Don't buy it unless you have a computer radio

I just purchased the TX-R version of the Albatros at the WRAM show in NY. I was interested to try this AnyLink thing and the plane looked kinda cute. Should be good for in front of the house on quiet afternoons. It was too windy to fly it yesterday but I did get a chance to set it up.

WHY DID THEY STICK THE RUDDER ON THE LEFT STICK?

On a 3 channel R/E/T plane the rudder should be on the right stick. In fact if you look at the manual for the RTF Albatros it shows the rudder on the right stick.

This is usually accomplished by putting the rudder into the aileron channel in the receiver. But on the TX-R planes they have it on the left stick. The receiver is sealed inside the plane so you can't get to it to move the servo to the aileron channel without cutting the plane open.

If you have a computer radio, you can use a mix to map the aileron to rudder at 100% and fix their mistake. But if you are tyring to fly this with a standard radio the rudder is on the wrong stick.

I sent a note to Hobbico to see what they suggest to fix this mistake in manufacturing. They told me how to fix it on my computer radio but had no solution for a standard radio.

I WON'T BE BUYING ANYMORE TX-R 3 CHANNEL PLANES IF THEY ARE ALL MESSED UP LIKE THIS.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flyzone Albatros TX-R airplane - Don't buy it unless you have a computer radio

Are all the minis that way then? What about flying the minis with a regular tactic TX?

All the bigger ones are 4 channel , what about that F-86 jet?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flyzone Albatros TX-R airplane - Don't buy it unless you have a computer radio

ORIGINAL: guver

Are all the minis that way then? What about flying the minis with a regular tactic TX?

I would expect that this would only effect the 3 channel planes. The 4 channel planes should be fine.

And yes you can use a regular Tactic TX to fly the TX-R planes.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
bigedmustafa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's difficult to imagine, but they actually hooked the rudder up to the rudder channel on the receiver! I actually prefer keeping the rudder on the left stick, otherwise flying 3-channel aircraft makes me sloppy when I fly four channel aircraft. Not all of my friends figure out there are no ailerons as quickly as I do, however, and having both sticks mixed together is a nice option.

I picked up the micro Super Cub Tx-R model and I'm flying it with my old Futaba 7C 72Mhz transmitter. 100% R -> A mixing means I can move either stick left or right to turn the plane.

I met some friends at the local Hobbytown this evening for some indoor flying. We had two Flyzone DR1s and an Albatross Tx-R flying in addition to my Super Cub. These are nice, affordable planes that fly great. The flying time on my micro Super Cub is pretty remarkable, too; I need to run the timer next time just to measure the battery life.

We did notice that getting a clean bind upon plugging in the battery was dependent upon not being too close to any of the other pilots. Also, the geared motors do make a little bit of noise compared to the direct drive micro planes out there.

All things considered, Parkzone's micro BNF planes might be a little more elegant than the Flyzone Tx-R models with regard to execution. The AnyLink module, however, is an exciting innovation that breathes new life into the old radios that so many of us still seem to have. It also breaks down the brand barrier that is all too common with 2.4Ghz radio technology. What could be better than providing both Futaba and JR/Speckrum adapter cables with the module?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

It's difficult to imagine, but they actually hooked the rudder up to the rudder channel on the receiver! I actually prefer keeping the rudder on the left stick, otherwise flying 3-channel aircraft makes me sloppy when I fly four channel aircraft. Not all of my friends figure out there are no ailerons as quickly as I do, however, and having both sticks mixed together is a nice option.
When using a computer radio on a 3 channel plane Ido the same thing, mix left and right for pitch and yaw and no matter which stick you go to you have your response.

It is just unfortunate that this plane requires a computer radio. The Horizon Hobby BnF planes do not.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

When using a computer radio on a 3 channel plane Ido the same thing, mix left and right for pitch and yaw and no matter which stick you go to you have your response.

It is just unfortunate that this plane requires a computer radio. The Horizon Hobby BnF planes do not. And like Anylink, I can fly them with Hitec, Futaba, JRor Spektrum radios by using a Spektrum module in the Futaba and Hitec radios. Or I can buy the RTFversions and use that radio.

The drawback with the Spektrum moduleis it only fits in module based radios where there AnyLink will fit more Hitec and Futaba radios than the Spekturm module.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
fmw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is coming tomorrow.  I do have a computer radio.  I can't imagine going to the field without one.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wind finally died down enough for me to fly the Albatros in front of my house. Flies great! It is much faster than I expected. I am going to enjoy this plane a great deal!

I have it set up on my Futaba 9C Super with rudder mapped to the right stick, as per the discussion above. I pulled the RF module out and attached the Anylink module to the battery cover using double sided foam tape as I do not want it permanently mounted on thisradio.

Worked just fine.

It might be a touch tail heavy. Will have to play with the balance.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aeajr

ORIGINAL: guver

I would expect that this would only effect the 3 channel planes. The 4 channel planes should be fine.

And yes you can use a regular Tactic TX to fly the TX-R planes.
Won't this put the rudder of the 3 channel minis on the left stick when using the regular tactic TX as well? I can't imagine this is true. The TX cannot be changed it is not really a computer radio.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The RTF radio apparently has some kind of mapping or mixing capability that compensates for the rudder being assigned to the left stick. In the RTF instructions it shows the rudder on the right stick, as you would expect. You can find the manual here:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/hca/hcaa2551-manual-v2.pdf
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
fmw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My suggestions is to apply the rudder to both sticks.  That way you can turn on the right stick and, if you want to do a hammerhead, you can hit the rudder with the left stick as you are used to doing with an aileron plane.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fmw

My suggestions is to apply the rudder to both sticks. That way you can turn on the right stick and, if you want to do a hammerhead, you can hit the rudder with the left stick as you are used to doing with an aileron plane.
Yep, that is the way I would do it too. Ihave my 3 channel gliders set up this way.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another issue with the Anylink is that some transmitter models require one of the 4 optional cables to make anylink work. For exmple a DX8 requires cable TCM0005 WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE YET! None of the 4 optional cables are available, so if you have an Auroa 9 or a DX8 the "free' anylink you get with a Flyzone plane right now does you no good. Why can't Hobbico and Horizon get their acts together when they introduce new products? I know the problem is China supply line dependability but you would think they could do better.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good point about the cables. I didn't need one so I did not realize they were not available.

The RTFs are only $10 extra so if you want to get the RTFnow you can get the Anylink with your next one by the end of March, or pay $25 for it at a later date.

Anylink cables
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...anylink+cables

Shows Mid March for most

Here is the chart so you can see if your radio needs a special cable.
http://www.tx-ready.com/anylink-chart.html