Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Charging times on Super brain 969 Pro

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Charging times on Super brain 969 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 06:00 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging times on Super brain 969 Pro

Alright I've been in and out of planes from nitro to electric (one fighterbird, I hated it too windy here in nebraska broke it over my knee and tossed it in the garbage). But now i've gotten rid of my nitros and I'm getting into electric wings.
The question:
How do you know how much current to give a battery during a charge. I know some batt. will accept a 4.5A charge without damage. Here's the deal I have. 9.6V 8 cell 1500 mah. I was told by someone that this pack will only take a 2A charge and nothing greater.

Feel free to use technical terms you don't need to "dumb-it-down" for me.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

First, what was wrong with the Fighterbird? I've flown it in 10-15mph winds, a tad hadfull but it flies and thermals well.

Back to battery ... you only mentioned cell count can capacity (C), is it NiCad or NiMh? What size cells? In general, you want to charge NiMh at 1.5C or less, with better cells being able to take 2C (ie, 1500mAh NiMh charge at ~2.2A, 3A max) and Nicads can take 2C-3C.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:06 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

fighterbird just wasn't my type. I like having at least three full channels. Either throttle, elevator and ailerons or sub the ailerons for a rudder. At the minimum that's what I like to fly with.

The cells are NiCd, and are 4/5A. So from what your saying then i should be able to put a 3A charge on these.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

That's right. Most NiCds can be charged at about 3C, or three times their capacity in mA or Amps (depending on how your charger measures current) safely. The exceptions are the very small, delicate cells which should be charged at 1C or less, and the very large Sub-C cells that can be charged at 5C.

NiMH cells are a little bit more sensitive. You generally don't want to charge NiMH cells at any more than about 1C. Larger, high-discharge NiMH cells can be charged at 2C, and the big Sub-C NiMH can be treated like NiCds.