Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

battery question

Old 08-31-2003, 09:15 PM
jrcoone
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default battery question

I have a GP PT Electric trainer. I bought a GP 30 amp speed/contr. and a GWS 3 servo mini flight pack with a 5 amp speed/contr and 4 channel rec-ever. I plan to use the 30 amp sp/contr. because it motor supplied is a speed 600. Hers my question. I want use a 7 cell 2000 milliamp battery pack but the book calls for a 1200 battery pack. Can i use the 2000 without harming the 30 amp sp/contr. and motor? Also the GP sp/cont. and GWS does not have any wiring dia. to show the correct way to hook them together. Any info would be a great help.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2003, 10:46 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default battery question

The capacity of the battery is irrelevant - the current being drawn through the ESC by the motor is what is important. You will be fine with your 30A ESC 'cos your 600 will only draw (at max) about 20A. One end of your ESC will have just a single dual wire lead ("to motor") coming from it. That COULD be directly attached to the + and - of your motor, but I think you are better off putting a connector on it (female Deans Ultra or 3.5mm Jeti would be good) and having a matching connector on your motor leads (male Deans Ultra or Jeti) At the other end of the ESC there will be a three wire lead with a flat female Hitec/Universal plug which should plug into Channel 3, if you have a standard GWS receiver, AND a dual wire lead. This "to battery" lead will need a male Deans Ultra or Jeti connector on it, so that it can be connected to your battery (which, again, needs a matching plug on it - female Deans Ultra or Jeti).

Hope this helps, Cheers, Phil
Old 08-31-2003, 11:47 PM
jrcoone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default battery

Another question. The motor says 9.6volts max. Does that mean I can run 8 cells to it, even though the manual says 6-7 cells?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:08 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GP 600

Hi JRCoone

Here is the info from the Great Planes website: it would seem that your motor is either a nominally 7.2v or 8.4v version, so it should be quite capable of handling the 9.6v from an 8-cell pack. If you have access to a Whattmeter, it would be very useful to find out exactly what the maximum current draw is going to be (obviously you'd have to measure this under 'static' conditions) - the worry would be if, on 8-cells, at high current your motor overheats. In flight the current draw will diminish somewhat, so if its okay static, it'll certainly be okay in flight.

T-600GD ESC System with Gear Drive

The T-600GD Motor System with Gear Drive is a more versatile and efficient performance package, capable of delivering more thrust and longer flight times than a direct drive system. This system is highlighted by a new high-torque T-600R (reverse rotation) ferrite motor for 7.2V-9.6V battery packs, a 2.5:1, GD-600 Electric Gear Drive, and a fully wired switch harness

This the most sophisticated of the new motor systems. It utilizes the same T-600R ferrite motor and GD-600 gear drive, but replaces the switch harness with an efficient ElectriFly C-30 High Power electronic speed control. The ESC is forward-only, with brake (to stop a folding prop) and B.E.C. with low battery cutoff to provide reliable power for the radio receiver. The high-frequency ESC is full proportional, providing full power for takeoffs while allowing the pilot to taxi the airplane to the flight line and vary the throttle during flight resulting in smoother, more realistic and much longer flights.

Ideal for electric-powered R/C airplanes having weights up to 56 ounces and wing loadings of approximately 20 oz/sq ft, and for 2-meter sailplanes

Here's a link to a set up for measuring amps/watts/rpm and thrust if you really want to get into it.

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/for...threadid=116059

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-01-2003, 04:10 AM
jrcoone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default thanks

Dr. Phil
Thanks for your replys. This really helped me out. This is my first attempt at electric.