Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help troubleshooting a setup

Old 05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
lee@prrlaw.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help troubleshooting a setup

My first model, having some trouble getting the electronics working. Struggled with this for several days, and out of ideas. I have a 5s lipo that shows 21 v. Two receivers, a futuba r156f and a futuba r168df. Call these R1 and R2 respectively. Each has its own crystal. Two ESC, E1 is an electrify ss12, and E2 is a turnigy with these numbers (2G lipo/5-18). Either ESC pluged into the receiver gives 6v output to the servo, so I think we are okay for power. I am testing the servo in ch1 on the receivers, and the esc plugged into channel 3. I have tried moving the servo to different channels with no change. I have reversed the servo and ESC connectors and am confident they are plugged in correctly.
Using ESC1 and R1, the servo jumps once when the battery is plugged in, jumps when transmitter is turned on, otherwise remains unresponsive to transmitter inputs.
Using ESC1 and R2, servo remains quiet when battery plugged in, but chatters continuously when transmitter is turned on.
Using ESC2 and R1, servo jumps when battery is plugged in, jumps when transmitter is turned on, otherwise remains unresponsive.
Using EXC2 and R2, servo jumps when batter is plugged in, chatters when transmitter is turned on.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM
lee@prrlaw.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Help troubleshooting a setup

Followup question. If 6v is placed across the power pins on the receiver, should the signal pin then produce a 50 hz, 6v signal wave.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not familiar with your specific gear, but I have a couple of generic suggestions.

You don't mention the brand or type of transmitter you are using. If it is a Futaba TX, try reversing the throttle channel on the TX. This is often necessary with a Futaba TX.

And of course, be sure the crystal in the receiver and the crystal in the transmitter are for the same channel!

- Jeff
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lee@prrlaw.com

Followup question. If 6v is placed across the power pins on the receiver, should the signal pin then produce a 50 hz, 6v signal wave.
As far as I know receivers receive and produce no waves of any kind, but your questions are WAY beyond me. This is a forum about learning to fly not the internals of receivers. Not sure anyone will be able to answer your question here.

Standard procedure is to turn on the radio/transmitter before powering up the receiver.

You say servos are unresponseive but you don't say what sticks or controls you are moving to try and get a response. Which transmitter control maps to which channel depends on what transmitter you are using.

Those are FM receivers. Are you using an FM transmitter? is it on the same channel as the receivers? Do you have channel crystals in the receivers?

We need a LOT more information.

You may find some help here - Read the chapter on receivers and radio systems, then post your next questions and information.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT

Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
lee@prrlaw.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Solved. the answer was PCM on the transmitter, PPM on the receiver, or vice versa. Once I got them both on the same code, everything resolved. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my original post.