Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Megatech Airstrike - Any Good ?

Old 09-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Vegasracer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Megatech Airstrike - Any Good ?

Any input helpful
Thanks
Airstrike
Old 09-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Suffice it to say, the Megatech Airstrike is NOT a good plane to start out with. If you are looking for a simple, all-in-one airplane to try out the hobby, take a look at the HobbyZone Firebird XL, Firebird Commander, Toytronix T-Hawk or E-Gull. For less money, you get a plane that you will definintely enjoy a whole lot more.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Vegasracer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is that because it's junk or just not as easy to learn on as the others
Old 09-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both
Old 09-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would rather not get into product bashing. Just let it go at the fact that it's not a good plane for a beginner.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:11 PM
supersport396

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Megatech Airstrike - Any Good ?

Nitro conversion?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess we need to make a distinction here. The NITRO Airstrike is a typical, built-up balsa trainer meant for a .40-size glow engine. It's a pretty good plane, no better and no worse than any other ARF. It would make a good conversion to electric.

The original Megatech Airstrike, is a small electric plane that is not a good flier. I suppose you could do a hatchet-job on it and install a small glow engine, like a .020 or something, but why? There are plenty of less expensive, better planes out there that do not require modifications to fly.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:18 PM
90lesabre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great........I wish i would have found this site earlier. I bought an airstrike electric plane about two months ago. It flys horrible and has reception issues. It always cuts out on me like its losing the radio signal, causing it to crash. This happens no matter how close it is to me. Its pretty beat up already from all the resulting crashes. I contacted Megatech's service department and they just said to send it back and "they'll take care of it". Well its been 4 weeks and i haven't gotten it back yet. Even if they fix the cutting out problem, it still flies crappy. My girlfriend bought the little firebird outlaw for 60 bucks and it flies great. A lot of fun.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:42 PM
90lesabre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Once i get the plane back, if it still flys poorly is there a way to take out the guts of the plane and put in some light weight electronics, use a different transmitter and put in a more powerful motor?? I spent 200 bucks on this thing so i can't just throw it away.

If it is hopeless, i thought about lighing it on fire and launching it till it crashes.....lol.....or put an m-80 in it with a long fuse. If the plane is worthless and i have to throw it away, i might as well have some fun doing it.... :C)
Old 10-15-2003, 07:34 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im proud to say that I have the megatech skyliner, and did get one successful flight out of it actually 3 but one when I actuallly knew what I was doing , the only problem I have with the plane and the company is they should have made a 'kit' for each one of these similiar planes , airstrike,skyliner,capitol flyer, then I wouldnt have never given up on it . But let me tell you if you want an indestructable plane and one that is easy to fly and one that is cheap get the FREEDOM FLYER, I already due to wind conditions , have nosed it into the ground 4 times hit a tree twice, and with all of these crashes only had to tape the area of the main wing near the rubber band holders because all of these maufacturers refuse to reinforce the area. But let me tell this is my forth airplane /craft and Im really impressed with its performance and power DUDE I DONT LIE NOR DO I KISS AZZ , THIS PLANE IS THE BEGINNING OF ME LEARNING HOW TO FLY PROPERLY , the only down fall is there isnt and speed controller , Im working on that now , but long story short any plane , in my oppinion that does a ROG shouldnt be listed as a beginner plane and all of the megatech does ROGs Good luck .
Old 10-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Pete the Geek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Toytronix T-Hawk is a great buy, now with proportional throttle and FM radio....they also have a new parkflyer coming out called Predator....it looks like it's going to be a step up from traditional RTF's, watch the video of the plane and see what I mean...

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/predator.html
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 AM
kid358108

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The stock megatech airstrike is very heavy. I took my airstrike which was my first plane, and one of my friends gutted it and replaced the brick unit of servo's, receiver, and speed control, and replaced it with a Hitech receiver and servo's and a speed control, and the plane flew like a dream. After my skills grew and I became more adventurous, I replaced the motor and speed control with a brushless hacker A30 combo, and I had even more fun. Now I am into building my own planes out of bluecor fan fold, and the first plane I am attempting to build is my megatech airstrike. I took a sheet of foam, and traced the outside wall of the fuse, and did the same with the top, and it fit together like a glove. I am still in the building process, but i have a completed fuse, tail, and elevator. I dont know what I am going to do yet for the wing, or powerplant, I might go brushless again with a brushless motor from customcdr.com, or a GWS stick 350. If anybody has any suggestions on building my wing I am open to suggestions, the bluecor seems to be flimsy when it comes to making the wing, even using a spar.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 AM
kid358108

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you would like to fly and easy plane that is a goes together in no time, I would go to foamfly.com and look at their oldtimer plane. It has the same wing design as the Toytronix warhawk and preditor, just with a heck of a lot less weight. The best feature is that if you some how manage to crash, grab your epoxy and glue the pieces back together and you can be good as new and back in the air in about an hour. As your skills improve as a pilot so can your choices of planes you can purchase at foamfly.com. I bought the stagerwing biplane and attached a brushless hacker A30 motor and speed control and its amazing. At the time of my purchase I was not much of a builder, and I contacted Dan at foamfly and he put the kit together for me. I was lucky that he only lived about an hour away so I was able to give him all of the radio gear and motor, and within a week I had a finished plane, and he was even nice enough to take me out to test fly it. Awesome fun.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:22 PM
air20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was actually going to fly my brand-new electric megatech airstrike tomorrow or the next day. However, I just found this review on the plane today. Now I am having second thoughts about flying it. Would you recommend I try flying it or not?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A lot depends on your experience and skill level. The Airstrike is a heavy plane for its wing size and power, therefore it doesn't fly very well in stock form. It is definitely not a beginner's plane and should be considered in the same category as the ParkZone Cub and Decathlon, which are listed by the manufacturer as intermediate planes.

If you are a beginner, you should either return the plane and exchange it for a good beginner's plane, or set it aside and buy a beginner's plane to learn with, and then fly the Airstrike when you are at the intermediate skill level. There have been some flyers who started with the Airstrike and have been able to fly it successfully. But the cost, in terms of replacement parts, frayed nerves and time, is very high!

If you are an intermediate, the Airstrike will ROG if given enough room, and will fly for about 6 minutes with the stock set-up. Its a bit of a contradiction when flying, because it feels heavy and somewhat slow to respond, but once you put it into a turn, it tends to tighten the turn into a spiral.

The Airstrike uses standard full size servos, which is one of the contributing factors to it being so heavy. It has an undersized motor, and even with light electronics, the motor tends to burn out after about 30-40 flights.

The Airstrike was my second plane, which I tried to fly after I had been flying the 2-channel Firebird Commander for several months. The first flight lasted about 20 seconds and ended in a nose first crash. After replacing the prop and drive shaft I gave it another try. This time the flight lasted about 40 seconds with another nose first crash. This time I had a damaged prop, drive shaft, gear box, servo and crumpled fuselage. I set the plane aside and bought an Aerobird Challenger. No problems flying and virtually no crashes. I then moved on to the Cub and Decathlon. Once I was skilled at flying the Cub, I rebuilt the Airstrike with factory replacement parts and tried flying it again. I was able to take off, fly and land with no problems, but the plane simply was not fun to fly, compared to the Cub and Decathlon. After less then a dozen flights the motor burned out. I replaced all of the electronics with spare parts from the ParkZone planes and the Airstrike became a pleasant plane to fly. Still not nearly as nice as the Cub and Decathlon, but very pleasant none the less. The motor continues to be a problem, burning out after about 30-40 flights, so I am currently switching the plane to a brushless set-up. If you go the RCGroups and go on the ParkFlyers forum, you will find a thread devoted to the Airstrike. A flyer named BigDano has done the brushless modification and has posted photos of the mods. Basically, I am following in his footsteps.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do and if you need any further advice, please write.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
air20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your feedback!

I think that I will just try to fly the megatech airstrike even though I may encounter some problems. Who knows--maybe I will do just fine. I have an Aerobird Challenger and generally do not have any trouble flying it, so I might be ready for the Airstrike. However, I am worried that I may intermittently lose control of the aircraft because it appears to have some radio problems.
But, if I crash due to problems with the radio system, I will probably just abandon the Airstrike and purchase a gas trainer (like the NexStar or the Avistar). I like gas airplanes better anyway because they don't require battery packs that last only 10 minutes or less. And, they have more power than the electrics.

Thank you once again for your advice and if I need any more info, I will be sure to contact you again!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have no trouble flying the Aerobird, you should do fine with the Airstrike. Just keepp in mind that the Airstirke will fly a little slower than the Aeorbird, but will respond to the controls faster, so use only small inputs until you have the feel for it. Good luck! I'm sure that you will do fine.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:36 PM
air20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was wondering if it would be possible to attach steerable nosegear to the Megatech Airstrike. I went to Tower Hobbies website and found the Dubro 1/2a steerable nosewheel kit. Would this work?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the (few?) good things about the Airstrike is its landing gear. The gear can take a surprising amount of impact (emergency landings) with no damage. I doubt if the DuBro gear will be as rugged. The DuBros gear will also add weight to a plane that is already much too heavy. You need to be looking at ways to lighten the plane, not weigh it down.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
kid358108

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Leo is right when he says you need to loose some weight off of the airstrike. I removed the brick (receiver, and servo megatech package) and replaced it with more light weight hightech receiver and servos and mounted them inside using skewers fashioned in a box type design and velcro. Or you could try taking your battery cover inverting it and cutting slots in the bottom that you can mount your servos in and velco your battery inside, thats what i did and i saved a lot of weight.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:39 PM
air20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice!
When you remove some weight off the Airstrike, does it fly much faster? If it does, I may use your suggestion.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The speed of the plane is mostly a function of the body (drag), prop, motor/gearbox, and battery. The weight has minimal direct affect on the speed of the plane. However, the weight has a very big impact on the plane's ability to stay in the air, particularly when its flying at a slower speed such as during take-offs and landings. It also has a significant bearing on how the plane will climb and on how quickly it responds to control inputs.

Reducing the weight of the Airstrike will not change its flying speed significantly, but it makes the plane a lot more enjoyable to fly!