Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help me out here sparky(s)!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help me out here sparky(s)!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 02:33 AM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out here sparky(s)!

Hi there!

I am looking for an electric plane to add to my small fleet of glow planes. I want to fly in the soccer field close to my house after work, and I want something that I can train my kids with (8 + 11 yrs old). I would prefer to have a plane with ailerons so that what they learn on the electric translates to my glow trainer (Goldberg Eagle II). I do have a battery pack and charger from my first POS electric airplane (Fighterbird). The GWS E-starter looks interesting as does the Funny Park. Kids will be flying this, so I am looking for durability and user-freindly flying manners.

Thanks for you thoughts on this!
Old 04-25-2003, 03:48 AM
Mike Buckley

Try the GWS Zero, I love mine. It's a 4 channel setup, I looks great, and I'm amazed at what punishement it will take.

When I first tried mine I crashed it quite a few times getting the throws setup right. They were never anything hard ( like straight in from 100 feet) but when I'd misjudge the landing it would just skip along. The worst that happened was I dented the cowl (I popped right back out in a second) and some missing paint!

If you do go this route, one piece of advice though, upgrade the wheels, the spokes of mine broke within the first day.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The GWS Zero is not a good first airplane for an 8 and an 11 year old. Heck, people with flying experience (GWS Tiger Moth) have trouble flying it...

Ailerons are not that crucial. A properly designed rudder-only plane will turn just as well as an aileron plane. The only thing you can't do is an axial roll, but you aren't going to be doing that with a GWS park flier anyway. Transitioning from a rudder to ailerons should be a non-issue, provided they know how to fly properly.

I would recommend the GWS Tiger Moth or if you want something larger, the GWS Slow Stick. The jury's out on the E-Starter as a first plane (I own one, but haven't flown it, and haven't given newbies the opportunity to fly it). An experienced pilot with a buddy box might make the E-Starter workable (my intention), but your kids can fly a Tiger Moth or Slow Stick on their own.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:13 PM
HitecRedneck

Try the GWS Tiger Moth. It has great turning capabilities and will fly in small places.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:06 AM
Billy Haynes

Default trainer

How about the GWS E-Starter? It's got 4 ch. control, "easy" to repair foam construction, MSRP $39.99. Not sure what pack was in the "POS", the E-starter would need a 6-7c pack in the 500-600 nicad range. Or 7-8cells It's a new product so I don't know how hard it would be to get one "right now". Backyard Flyer July issue just did a review on it, & it seem to be a nice little plane. If I had the same needs as you, I'd prob. git it.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:40 AM
goofup

I agree with mkrish- you're overrating ailerons. Get a Tiger Moth or a Slow Stick. Either can handle the space, are great fliers, and will be nice and slow for the kids to learn on.

Keep in mind that they're only 8 & 11 and they're ones learning to fly. After they master one of these, then you can get them one like Dad's. (Don't be surprised to discover these are a lot of fun yourself...)
Old 04-26-2003, 02:20 PM
David_Moen

The E-Starter cought my eye, because there is one in stock at the LHS. he battery pack I have from the Fighterbird (friends don't let friends buy Fighterbirds) is a 7 cell NIMH pack.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:56 PM
nightrider_rc

Default RE: Help me out here sparky(s)!

GET THE E-STARTER!!! it is easy to buld, fly and repair. it is of all foam cont. but don't let this fool you! it is way more durable than any other GWS plane yet. compair the wing, and stabs to those of the GWS cub or the beaver and you will be amazed. my first plane was a cub and i broke it on my first landing! but under the same pressure the e-starter will bairly show a scratch! GET IT BEFORE SOMEONE ELCE DOES!!!