Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newby with Slow Stick and general Elec RC Quetions

Old 09-08-2003, 10:00 AM
sstickflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newby with Slow Stick and general Elec RC Quetions

Hi! This is my first post here. I recently became interested in RC Aircraft again (I owned a cheap 2 CH plane, about 12 years ago), just bought a Slow Stick combo from e-bay. Couldn't pass it up. It came with GWS Dream Starter 4 ch radio, servos, batt and charger for $166 shipped. I should be recieving it tonight UPS. I have done a lot of research and looked at archived posts. I still have so many questions. So here goes: My SS came with a ISC 100 Speed controller, 7.2V 600mah batt. I ordered a second GWS batt, 7 cell 8.4V 700mah flat pack. I know I should have bought one with more mah for longer flight times. I was unsure what pack would work with my combo. What does the battery hook up to? The Speed Controller? I am unsure about the battery connections are they relatively universal? Do I need a GWS specific pack? I am already looking at possibly buying an E-starter as a second plane and I want to use the same radio but buy new servos and speed controller and reciever. I am thinking I should get a speed controller that can handle more amps? Do I need GWS servos? Or can I use another brand? I know this is a lot? I guess I am basically wondering what my options are without buying a new radio. Thanks for any help, sorry this post is so long.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newby with Slow Stick and general Elec RC Quetions

Well first, you should really wait until you get your airplane before you start asking questions. The airplane, radio, and associated equipment does come with instructions, and many of your questions will be answered. For example, once you get the airplane, you'll see that GWS has adopted a connector scheme that makes it difficult to impossible to plug things in wrong. The battery-to-ESC and ESC-to-motor connections are color-coded, and simple plug-in affairs.

The second battery you ordered will be fine. I don't know if it was pure luck, or an educated choice, but the 7-cell 700mAh pack you bought is PERFECT for the Slow Stick, and any other EPS300C-powered plane from GWS. 700mAh is plenty for long 10+ minute flights with the Slow Stick.

You don't have to stick with GWS parts at all. The battery connections are standard "JST" type. When you order packs from a third-party battery vendor, specify that you want JST connectors on the packs, or make sure they come with them. There are other, better connectors if you want to switch, like Dean's Polarized Micro connectors. If you do switch, switch ALL your planes so you don't get mixed up, and stick with one or two connector types.

Radio stuff is pretty universal as well these days. You don't have to buy GWS servos because it's a GWS plane; servos have size classes, and a "sub micro" servo from one manufacturer will be similar in size to a "sub micro" from another. There are two things that make sticking with GWS a wise choice, though:

1. GWS offers complete "flight packs" for all their planes. You don't have to piece together what you need from individual parts; GWS does it for you, at a substantial discount. You can use the same transmitter for many different planes just by buying multiple flight packs and the correct channel crystal for the receiver.
2. GWS is probably the best overall dollar value in parkflier airborne gear. You'll always pay more for a different brand.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:03 PM
sstickflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newby with Slow Stick and general Elec RC Quetions

I really appreciate the good info. I should have waited til I got the plane before I asked questions. I just can't wait to get it. I should have thought of the flight pack for the other plane. I would not call it lucky that I bought that pack. I did some research on this site and got that info. Thanks again for the connector info.