Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie motor control - dead!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Rickcj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbie motor control - dead!

I have set up a motor & ESC w/ bec on a test bench with a manual servo tester. It has 1 button, 4 leds, & a rotating resister for servo adjusting. All connections are testing good, consecutive press of the buttons lights up a different led. But the motor never budges. Tried all different combinations - no luck. Voltage supply is middle of range with plenty of capacity for both ESC & motor. I'm the only old thing in this setup, the rest is all new. Anybody have a idea that might help this old fool?
-Rick
Turigy outrunner & 100amp ESC
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newbie motor control - dead!

Welcome to RCU. You do have the battery hooke to the esc , right? not just the servo tester.
Could you put a servo on it instead to point you i the right direction diagnosing it?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Rickcj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the help!
Yes the ESC is directly hooked to 100amp/hr 12 volt battery. My project does not require servos of any kind, so I never bought any. Is there another way to test? I have a good quality multimeter, but not sure what to check & results desired.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rickcj

I have set up a motor & ESC w/ bec on a test bench with a manual servo tester. It has 1 button, 4 leds, & a rotating resister for servo adjusting. All connections are testing good, consecutive press of the buttons lights up a different led. But the motor never budges. Tried all different combinations - no luck. Voltage supply is middle of range with plenty of capacity for both ESC & motor. I'm the only old thing in this setup, the rest is all new. Anybody have a idea that might help this old fool?
-Rick
Turigy outrunner & 100amp ESC
"Rotating Resistor" ? You mean a potentiometer? A potentiometer won't adjust a servo position.

If you actually have a servo tester, try it with a servo. If it moves the servo arm, it will control the ESC.

At that point, try powering up with the servo commanding full power. Some have a feature that keeps the prop from spinning at power up, so you have to power up at full throttle, and back it down to no throttle, after that the ESC will operate correctly.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Rickcj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the help, Dave!
Yes, I do mean a potentiometer. Couldn't remember what it was called when I posted. I only say that it is for adjusting servo position because that is what the included directions say it is for. Worst instructions & customer service I have ever experienced (Hobby King) - and I've been around long enough to have lots of substandard service! I guess I could buy a servo just for testing purposes, but maybe I should just buy something more foolproof, as I only intend to turn motor on & off & have 1 speed setting in between. No remote control wanted.
-Rick Jones
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17143 (manufacturer web listing)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is how I do it. Connect the motor to the ESC with NO PROP on the motor. Connect the throttle lead of the ESC to the output of the servo tester (make sure of the polarity). Rotate the dial on the servo tester to the left fully counterclockwise. Connect a battery to the ESC and if the ESC has a built in BEC or regulator then the light on the servo tester will come on. If not you would need to connect a 4.8 or 6v battery to the input side of the tester.
Press the button on the tester until the led for MAN or Manual illuminates. This mode is controlled by the Pot or Rotating dial. This will act as the throttle on a transmitter. Rotate fully counterclockwise is off or idle and fully clockwise is high or full throttle.
Now when turning the dial/knob clockwise the motor should run and increase RPM as the dial is rotated fully clockwise. If not you may have to program the ESC depending on what type you are using. Also on some ESC's the servo tester needs to be set to manual before connecting the battery to the esc. To do that simply press the button on the tester (with power applied to it) to the MAN(manual) setting and then unplug the power. Now when you plug in the battery the tester will power on in manual mode and that should satisfy the ESC.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use similar components to test esc/motors. Your equipment should work ok as you have them. I have to ask Is the servo tester powered (by 5-7 volts)?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Rickcj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow........do I ever feel like an idiot!
The instructions say to hook up the 3 control wire plug from the ESC bec to the center 3 terminals on the servo tester. So that's what I did. I was afraid to burn out something if I hooked it up to the sevo output with current going in instead of out. Turns out to be that simple - works like a charm!
A bit of balancing & I'm off to the races.........
Thank you one & all for your prompt help. I will try to keep up with this forum to return the favor to someone else in distress, even though I likely can only give moral support.
Rick Jones