Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

using those rechargeable AA batteries in my radio for RC

Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

using those rechargeable AA batteries in my radio for RC

Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default using those rechargeable AA batteries in my radio for RC

purchase the [ AA Duracell HR6/DC 1500 NMHI/1.2V /2300 Mah ] rechargeable batteries wit the little wall charger that comes with the 4 batteries then I tried these batteries in clock small transistor radios ,flash lights and they never keep a charge , a few days and they are 60 % depleted, I wanted to use them in my Futaba SKY SPORT transmitter ,how ever I'M thinking in flight they may go bad , whats the problem with these batteries , do they have to be charged in the radio with the wall plug that comes with the radio for 15 hours to work right ?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 AM
twoslick2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: using those rechargeable AA batteries in my radio for RC

I have the same ones and I use them in my dx6i tx and they work fine. Batteries don't have to be at 100% all the time my tx has a beeper when the batteries get low. So far I haven't lost a heli to low tx batteries. Lots of other reasons for that!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 AM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: twoslick2

I have the same ones and I use them in my dx6i tx and they work fine. Batteries don't have to be at 100% all the time my tx has a beeper when the batteries get low. So far I haven't lost a heli to low tx batteries. Lots of other reasons for that!
so you say it will be safe to charge with my wall charger tha came with my futaba transmitter for 8 cells the charger puts out 50 milliamps so would have to charge them for about 20 hours
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the same duracell batteries. They seem to self discharge fast. Not sure why. I also have the energizer batteries. They are better but still discharge pretty quick. Charge them up and they work well for a day or two. Seems they last longer if they are used.

I have been replacing all of my rechargeable AA batteries with these.

http://www.all-battery.com/tenergy24aa_90120.aspx

I also have this charger. It works pretty well for AA batteries.

http://www.all-battery.com/t-6988ic-...rycharger.aspx

Buzz.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I have the same duracell batteries. They seem to self discharge fast. Not sure why. I also have the energizer batteries. They are better but still discharge pretty quick. Charge them up and they work well for a day or two. Seems they last longer if they are used.

I have been replacing all of my rechargeable AA batteries with these.

http://www.all-battery.com/tenergy24aa_90120.aspx

I also have this charger. It works pretty well for AA batteries.

http://www.all-battery.com/t-6988ic-...rycharger.aspx

Buzz.
################################################## ################################################## ##################################
you know I'm FINDING OUT THAT MOST PEOPLE WHO USE THE old nICAD the 700 mah AA type seem to last longer than the NIMH 2300 type, MAY BE iM WRONG but I have had the original flat pack in one of my futaba radios for 5 years using it 3-4 times a week and it lasted that long, maybe I'm getting the wrong type of NIMH I don't know but i sure am not using the lipo pack in my transmitter because of all the horror stories about them , and then there is the issue that the balance charge plug has to be used to recharge them in the radio you cant use the side port charge hole but thanks for your input
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The life span of my batteries has been good. Just the self discharge has been bad. The Tenergy seems to be a lot better. For the AA batteries I do not charge in the transmitter. I use the multiport charger. I always wonder if the wall wart chargers might be over charging the batteries.

Buzz.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The life span of my batteries has been good. Just the self discharge has been bad. The Tenergy seems to be a lot better. For the AA batteries I do not charge in the transmitter. I use the multiport charger. I always wonder if the wall wart chargers might be over charging the batteries.

Buzz.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buzz.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Buzz.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

say Buzz I know for fact you cant over charge with the wall charger that come with the radio , because you can do a little test to prove it, just after you plug it into the radio , wait 1 hour and feel the will charger , it will be warm to the touch, now the next day when you think its been charged enough , feel the will charger and it will be cold , that means it stopped charging automatically, so its OK to leave them on a long time. but thanks for your answers.