Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

new but old guy

Old 09-13-2003, 09:15 PM
caz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new but old guy

Does anyone know of an electric flying site on the mississippi coast? I am familiar with the 2 ama clubs in the area but would like to start out in pure electric.
Also, I am new to the hobby and would like to conserve money untill I see what I like.
I have a commercial pilots license[not active for many years],have built several balsa models over the years[enjoy building] and am using funds for a patent search and application on new control surfaces and system.
Like most full size pilots I think I can probebly teach myself. I know,I know you've NEVER heard that before LOL!
Reccomendations for a reliable 4 channel radio with elevon mixing and a basic rudder,elevator and aliron trainer would be appreciated. I prefer one I can build from balsa.
thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: one old guy to another

You cannot go wrong with a Hitec Flash 4 (HTR971J) at Hobby-Lobby (and, no doubt, elsewhere). This has elevon/V-tail mixing, dual rates etc and comes with a Feather receiver and two HS 55 servos - ideal for small park flyers. The Mountain Models Tantrum [Speed 300-400 or small brushless] seems to be a very good aileron model - all balsa [for old guys like you and me, who enjoy the building as much as the flying].

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Dr Kiwi

Sorry, it is a Laser 4, not a Flash 4 [still HTR971J]

4 Channel radio for EXTREME
lightweight micro helicopters,
indoor RC and slowflyers.
HTR971J Hitec Laser 4 FM, Feather Receiver, 2 HS-55
servos ....... $ 127.00
IN STOCK
Transmitter has trim lever for flight controls, servo travel adjustments, servo reversing, trainer cord receptacle, nicads, charger for transmitter. No receiver nicads as this radio is intended for use in small electric airplanes which use Battery Eliminator Circuit for receiver/servo power. Weight of Recvr. and 2 servos only 24 grams — 7/8 oz. Now includes elevon and V-tail mixing.

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-14-2003, 10:12 AM
sierra gold

My only concern on the above radio recomendation is the Feather reciever that is a part of that particular package. Hitec makes wonderful radio gear but their single conversion Feather receiver has a bad reputation in the areas of range and glitches while flying at a field with multiple flyers. I have one and only use it in my most "disposable" ARF plane when I generally fly alone, as I have experienced the glitch problem.

Their micro 555 is an excellent receiver and usually comes in a package with their HS81 servos with the Flash 4 or 5, I believe.

Sierra Gold
AMA 12351
Old 09-14-2003, 10:57 AM
caz

Default RE: new but old guy

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I'm going with the lazer sans the feather receiver and the skipjack from mountain...it has interchangable wings,one for sport and one that is symetrical for more adavanced flight when I am ready[if ever]. Also have the lazer and other gear .Looks like a great company. Excellant prices and I get to actually build the plane and they have replacement kit parts in the unlikely event I crash.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:39 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: new but old guy

Ditto on the Laser4. IMNSHO (Not So Humble Opinion ) it is the best non-computer 4-channel out there.