Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is the difference between 6S1p and 6S?

New to electrics here. Also, what is the difference in discharge rates between a battery of 25C and one of 25-50C? Thank You in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What is the difference between 6S1p and 6S?

In your title comparing a 6s to a 6s1p there is no difference since the absence of a "P" number means there is only 1.

For your discharge rate question there some missing text describing what the numbers mean , but commonly those types of numbers refer to a constant MAX rate and then a Burst MAX rate. If we assume that about the numbers then there's no difference there either since the absence of the second number probably coincides with the 50C on the first battery.

The 25C numbers are commonly referring to the constant MAX rate and are both 25.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, if I understand right, the C number tells me max continuous discharge, and the higher this number the better? You can't have a C number too large, but too small would be a bad thing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, you got it. Remember though that we are assuming what text is likely missing. The "C" number can also refer to charge rate , max charge rate , max discharge rate , burst rate , constant discharge rate, ect. In every case your conclusion is true in that you can't have one that's too high , but too small is a bad thing.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You multiply the C rating times the battery's capacity. This tells you how much energy the battery can safely 'dump'. A high C battery can dump a lot of energy at once, whereas a smaller C battery is for less demanding applications.

Example: 1000mah 50C battery: 1000mah x 50C c= 50,000ma, or 50A.
    Example: 1000mah 25C battery: 1000mah x 25C = 25,000ma, or 25A

When you look at your system as a whole (motor, ESC, battery, prop) and determine how much current you expect to pull, you can decide on a C rating. If you are only going to run at 20A, you don't need the 50C battery.

Higher C batteries weigh more (and are more expensive). There is no need to get more C than you need, unless you just want that extra little bit of power.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Manufacturers C ratings can be inconsistent and, for lack of a better word, optimistic.

So if your calculations call for a realistic 25C then buying a 30 to 35c pack is probably a good idea, though a 50c pack would be overkill.

C rating is really the internal resistance of the battery, higher C packs can discharge faster without overheating and causing damage but as someone said, they are bigger and cost more.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Long Island Silent Flyers
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com